Wiped out my system OCing a P3 450 to 550

chris_cope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2001
I was running a p3-450 Katmai on an Asus p3b-f at 504Mhz no problems with the stock heatsink. I was running Win2000 and my drive has an IBM Ultrastar SCSI (DCHS) using a Siig SCSI controller. The temp was around 50C. I put a Vantec p3d-5030 in with dimes on the cache chips. I upped it to about 550. Win2k booted up and ran fine at about 40C. But when I rebooted, it showed an error while closing and then couldn't find the NTLDR. I could still access the drive because my system dual boots Win98 but I could see some scrambling of the directories. I was backed up, so I played around at this point. I tried rewriting the boot sector and the MBR from the repair console. Zap. FAT was totalled and all data on the C drive was lost. There was also corruption on my D drive which I was surprisingly able to repair with Win98's Chkdsk. Win2000 wouldn't touch it but Win98 cleaned it right up.

Has anyone ever seen Win2000 destroy a partition like this when OC'd? Or was the culprit more likely my SCSI controller?

G

Don't know if this is completely related but I was installing Win2K adv. serv. over ME-
On reboot after the files were copied I kept getting a error similar to yours that a file couldn't be found. I restarted it and Poof- my BIOS was hosed! I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE- I had to flash it just to get up again- so what does dumb ass do? I tried again. I reformatted everything- started with ME then used a diff copy of 2K, just to be sure. Poof no bios again. Couldn't even get into the bios to change the settings.

So I gave up entirely on win2k Adv serv- it is the devil.

I am OC'ing a abit Kt7a-Raid to 1440 but have had no problems like this. Somebody mentioned that they would get the same error, tried everything and found they had a bad memory chip. Mine is week-old crucial CAS2 256 Pc133. I wasn't impressed with it's ability to OC so it may be a bunk chip.

Sooooo.... My point of that is try a diff mem chip.

-----------------------------------------------
Screw the risks!
-Street

if your chip is the SL35D P3 450 go straight for 133 fsb as this will keep everything in spec ,except the agp slot which will run at 89, but almost all the newer Geforce cards can handle this.
if your motherboard dosen't support voltage changes you can get 2.2 volt by covering connectors A-119,B-119and A-121 with good tape or adhesive teflon tape.be careful not to block any of the adjacent connectors as you could overvoltage your chip.
SCSI cards are very picky about the pci being run out of spec.

chris_cope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2001
What do you mean by SL35D? Sorry, I dont' keep up with stepping and fabs like I should. It's a Katmai and was supposed to run at 4.5 x 100. Are you saying that this die can really do 133?

SL35D is a number code Intel uses to identify processors,different week and speed chips have different code numbers, you will find it on the chip packaging(plastic part) of the processor. most of the SL35D chips will run at 600 with 2.2volts because they have faster cache chips, 4.5ns i believe, I have one and it will run at 600 stable,with tha alpha cooler and a copper spacer for the cache chips.Running it on an Asus P2B. so yes it is possible. But like I allways tell people their are no guarantees in overclocking, it all depends on the quality of all of your parts.....