Sign in with
Your question

Decent FPS for shogun 2 bench vs sys specs?

Last response: in Video Games
April 11, 2012 4:18:02 AM

Hello, I am playing shogun 2 and benching my system. It seems a bit low for my liking considering the hardware. Please comment on what you think, thanks.

Shogun 1080p bench- ~53.5fps

Specs:

i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz w/ tubo & HT ON
ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 LGA 1155
Noctua HSF NH-D14 (stock fans and paste)
3x2Gb DDR3 1600 XMS3 @ 1333Mhz (CMX6GX3M3C1600C7)
500gb 7200rpm Hitachi
GTX 580 Super-clocked (factory overclock) @ 1920x1080 (latest drivers)
Zalaman 1000w PSU
Sata 3 SSD

Shogun 2 specs: Other settings are ultra except shadows are high
tessellation: on
AA: MSAA 4x
16x Anisotropic
HDR: on
distortion: on
April 11, 2012 5:08:10 PM

looks about normal to me, find out which piece of your hardware is running at close to 100% (cpu or GPU) that's your bottleneck. Although it could be neither if you're bottlenecked by something else, like for example your ram that is likely running in single channel since you got 3 sticks (verify the clock on your ram)
m
l
April 11, 2012 8:18:35 PM

I am seeing shogun 2 use up less than 16% of my processor w/ the benchmark. My GPU should easily be able to handle it, and the SSD should handle all read/write easily. Anyone know any good resource monitoring tools? I am using the built in perfmonitor
m
l
April 11, 2012 8:35:01 PM

hwinfo64 is what I use, there's other light programs like hwmonitor and speccy, there's also heavier suites like aida, evga precision, msi afterburner, etc.

I'd say if the in-game bench mark tells you that your hardware isn't used heavily by the game you need to look into background processes.
m
l
April 11, 2012 11:27:40 PM

When you play what are your FPS on the campaign map? and what are your FPS in battle? As you can see my set up isn't as good as yours. I have everything set to ultra and high plus every thing is turned on.

I get in the campaign map 30 FPS and in battle I get 60 + FPS. And I use two 550's in SLI and my temps never get over 73c in battle and on campaign map nothing over 58c.

I use MSI Afterburner and MSI Kombustor and a few other programs to monitor and bench mark stuff. I will link you to them. I hope they will help you. Good luck to you.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/images/Afterburner...

http://www.ozone3d.net/msi_kombustor/

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
m
l
April 15, 2012 6:21:29 AM

Ok I ran the bench with MSI afterburner displaying the status, it says my GPU is at
99% at 800Mhz (its def clock). Why is it at 99%? Shouldn't it easily be able to handle that?
m
l
April 17, 2012 4:24:20 AM

I ran the 'high 1080p' bench. Does that include all that?
m
l
April 17, 2012 12:00:35 PM

:pfff:  son, include all what? I don't think you have any idea what you're looking for here, you paid a lot of bucks for a shiny new piece of hardware and you think it's the panacea and now you're looking for god knows what.

Read up on the game engine, read up on graphics options and how each one works, what it does and how it affects performance, and then you shall not need to ask ignorant questions that don't even make sense...
m
l
April 17, 2012 6:52:46 PM

All bench marks change all the time depending how long your rig is on, the temp out side of your rig. There is so much stuff that affect how a bench mark turns out. Just because your marks are not to your liking.

But is the game running with out problems? Or is there a lot of problems in the game? As I stated earlier my system is not as good as yours and I don't have a problem playing the game.

Maybe if you try other bench marking sites you might get a different outcome. I do hope you get what you are looking for and I wish you good luck.
m
l
April 18, 2012 3:52:56 AM

AntiZig said:
:pfff:  son, include all what? I don't think you have any idea what you're looking for here, you paid a lot of bucks for a shiny new piece of hardware and you think it's the panacea and now you're looking for god knows what.

Read up on the game engine, read up on graphics options and how each one works, what it does and how it affects performance, and then you shall not need to ask ignorant questions that don't even make sense...

That wasn't an ignorant question. I was asking if the 1080p bench included the graphics options you listed in the last post. I didn't feel like combing through google to find the answer. I know how each setting effects performance. The question was, is my system performing as expected with shogun 2 with the hardware. I'm wondering if there is some kink somewhere that I need to workout.
m
l
April 18, 2012 7:17:44 PM

Now if your benchmarks are on the campaign map then I would say you are ok with out any problems as compaired to my 30fps and less. Now if it is in the battle screen as compaired to my 60+fps then I would say you have a problem.

Even with my two cards I still can't beat a single 560 ti. So if your one card on the campaign map then I would say it is normal. This game out of all my games is my favorite. I hope maybe this sheds some lite on what you are asking. Good luck.
m
l
April 19, 2012 2:30:06 AM

DM186 said:
Now if your benchmarks are on the campaign map then I would say you are ok with out any problems as compaired to my 30fps and less. Now if it is in the battle screen as compaired to my 60+fps then I would say you have a problem.

Even with my two cards I still can't beat a single 560 ti. So if your one card on the campaign map then I would say it is normal. This game out of all my games is my favorite. I hope maybe this sheds some lite on what you are asking. Good luck.

The benchmark I was running was the benchmark that came with the game that is labeled '1080p high'
On the campaign map I get around 40ish fps
m
l
April 19, 2012 11:27:07 PM

Well that is still better than mine. Have you tried any other bench marking sites? If you would like I can link you to them if you want me to? Just let me know.

That is funny that the game came with a benchmarking program. I just downloaded it from steam and it was free so I save $30.00. I have seen in the stores the game Fall of the Samuari for $29.99.

Which is the same as Shogun 2 with the add on because before that was Rise of the Samuari. This game is the best out of all the Total War Series and I have them all and log a lot of hours with each game.

I still haven't finished Napoleon Total war. Its because of Shogun. It is hard to play now that I have played Shogun. Anyway let me know if you want other benchmarking stuff.
m
l
April 19, 2012 11:34:32 PM

DM186 said:
Well that is still better than mine. Have you tried any other bench marking sites? If you would like I can link you to them if you want me to? Just let me know.

That is funny that the game came with a benchmarking program. I just downloaded it from steam and it was free so I save $30.00. I have seen in the stores the game Fall of the Samuari for $29.99.

Which is the same as Shogun 2 with the add on because before that was Rise of the Samuari. This game is the best out of all the Total War Series and I have them all and log a lot of hours with each game.

I still haven't finished Napoleon Total war. Its because of Shogun. It is hard to play now that I have played Shogun. Anyway let me know if you want other benchmarking stuff.

Yea that would be great :D  thanks.
m
l
!