Fax sending PORN from my temp folder instead of my fax???

May 6, 2004 12:06:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I'm on a Windows XP SP1 machine. I'm connected to a Windows 2003 server with
fax sharing installed. I went to send a fax today and at the end of the fax
I hit the preview button. The first page was the expected coverpage, but
when I flipped to the second page I ended up with a porn picture that was
located in my TEMP folder. I deleted the file and then the fax preview
wouldn't work.

I'm definately glad I caught this before sending it, but HOW did it happen?
AV is VERY up to date, popup blockers installed on browser. High security
settings. I'm behind a hardware firewall. XP has al updates applied.

I'm hoping to figure out what happened based of the modified date of the
porn picture, but XP's search doesn't allow specifying any specific time
range and there are LOTS of files modified on that date.

Any idea how I can ensure that this doesn't happen again?????

Thanks!
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 12:06:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

You're seeing temp files that are in your Temporary Internet Files folder.
Right click one of the unwanted images and go to 'Properties|Location';
you'll see the path to the image. Running Disk Cleanup or clearing your
Temporary Internet Files folder should clear it up.

Start|All Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Disk Cleanup.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC NBC-IN

"Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> I'm on a Windows XP SP1 machine. I'm connected to a Windows 2003 server
with
> fax sharing installed. I went to send a fax today and at the end of the
fax
> I hit the preview button. The first page was the expected coverpage, but
> when I flipped to the second page I ended up with a porn picture that was
> located in my TEMP folder. I deleted the file and then the fax preview
> wouldn't work.
>
> I'm definately glad I caught this before sending it, but HOW did it
happen?
> AV is VERY up to date, popup blockers installed on browser. High security
> settings. I'm behind a hardware firewall. XP has al updates applied.
>
> I'm hoping to figure out what happened based of the modified date of the
> porn picture, but XP's search doesn't allow specifying any specific time
> range and there are LOTS of files modified on that date.
>
> Any idea how I can ensure that this doesn't happen again?????
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
May 6, 2004 12:10:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

"Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> I'm on a Windows XP SP1 machine. I'm connected to a Windows 2003 server
with
> fax sharing installed. I went to send a fax today and at the end of the
fax
> I hit the preview button. The first page was the expected coverpage, but
> when I flipped to the second page I ended up with a porn picture that was
> located in my TEMP folder. I deleted the file and then the fax preview
> wouldn't work.

<snip>

....AND, I just realized that the date on the picture was today at the time I
actually sent the fax, so it was dynamically generated! ACK!
May 6, 2004 12:10:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Run AD-Aware 6 or Spybot: Search and Destroy! You may be the victim of a
spyware software that got onto you XP system.

> "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> > I'm on a Windows XP SP1 machine. I'm connected to a Windows 2003 server
> with
> > fax sharing installed. I went to send a fax today and at the end of the
> fax
> > I hit the preview button. The first page was the expected coverpage, but
> > when I flipped to the second page I ended up with a porn picture that
was
> > located in my TEMP folder. I deleted the file and then the fax preview
> > wouldn't work.
>
> <snip>
>
> ...AND, I just realized that the date on the picture was today at the time
> actually sent the fax, so it was dynamically generated! ACK!

Anonymous
May 6, 2004 3:44:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Then again, you shouldn't have "Porn" files on your computer anyway!

"Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
> You're seeing temp files that are in your Temporary Internet Files folder.
> Right click one of the unwanted images and go to 'Properties|Location';
> you'll see the path to the image. Running Disk Cleanup or clearing your
> Temporary Internet Files folder should clear it up.
>
> Start|All Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Disk Cleanup.
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
> KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC NBC-IN
> Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>

> "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> > I'm on a Windows XP SP1 machine. I'm connected to a Windows 2003 server
> with
> > fax sharing installed. I went to send a fax today and at the end of the
> fax
> > I hit the preview button. The first page was the expected coverpage, but
> > when I flipped to the second page I ended up with a porn picture that
was
> > located in my TEMP folder. I deleted the file and then the fax preview
> > wouldn't work.
> >
> > I'm definately glad I caught this before sending it, but HOW did it
> happen?
> > AV is VERY up to date, popup blockers installed on browser. High
security
> > settings. I'm behind a hardware firewall. XP has al updates applied.
> >
> > I'm hoping to figure out what happened based of the modified date of the
> > porn picture, but XP's search doesn't allow specifying any specific time
> > range and there are LOTS of files modified on that date.
> >
> > Any idea how I can ensure that this doesn't happen again?????
> >
> > Thanks!

Anonymous
May 6, 2004 3:44:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public (More info?)

Somebody is going to porn sites with your computer if your
not.....hummmmmmm!

"Lawrence" <lawrencesystemsnospam@isp.com> wrote in message
> Then again, you shouldn't have "Porn" files on your computer anyway!
>
> "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
> > You're seeing temp files that are in your Temporary Internet Files
folder.
> > Right click one of the unwanted images and go to 'Properties|Location';
> > you'll see the path to the image. Running Disk Cleanup or clearing your
> > Temporary Internet Files folder should clear it up.
> >
> > Start|All Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Disk Cleanup.
> >
> > Hal
> > --
> > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
> > http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
> > KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC NBC-IN
> > Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
> >

> > "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> > > I'm on a Windows XP SP1 machine. I'm connected to a Windows 2003
server
> > with
> > > fax sharing installed. I went to send a fax today and at the end of
the
> > fax
> > > I hit the preview button. The first page was the expected coverpage,
but
> > > when I flipped to the second page I ended up with a porn picture that
> was
> > > located in my TEMP folder. I deleted the file and then the fax preview
> > > wouldn't work.
> > >
> > > I'm definately glad I caught this before sending it, but HOW did it
> > happen?
> > > AV is VERY up to date, popup blockers installed on browser. High
> security
> > > settings. I'm behind a hardware firewall. XP has al updates applied.
> > >
> > > I'm hoping to figure out what happened based of the modified date of
the
> > > porn picture, but XP's search doesn't allow specifying any specific
time
> > > range and there are LOTS of files modified on that date.
> > >
> > > Any idea how I can ensure that this doesn't happen again?????
> > >
> > > Thanks!

Anonymous
May 6, 2004 7:53:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I did... all it detected was an "attempted browser hijack" because my start
page is "about:blank"

news:o tGSVAuMEHA.2716@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Run AD-Aware 6 or Spybot: Search and Destroy! You may be the victim of a
> spyware software that got onto you XP system.

> > "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> > > I'm on a Windows XP SP1 machine. I'm connected to a Windows 2003
server
> > with
> > > fax sharing installed. I went to send a fax today and at the end of
the
> > fax
> > > I hit the preview button. The first page was the expected coverpage,
but
> > > when I flipped to the second page I ended up with a porn picture that
> was
> > > located in my TEMP folder. I deleted the file and then the fax preview
> > > wouldn't work.
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 7:56:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Doh!

You're telling me... I don't know how it got there unless it happened to be
in a banner or something on another page I visited.

But ***WHY*** was the creation date/time the exact same date/time that I
created my fax?

I can't replicate it but I still think something fishy is going on here!

"Lawrence" <lawrencesystemsnospam@isp.com> wrote in message
> Then again, you shouldn't have "Porn" files on your computer anyway!
>
> "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
> > You're seeing temp files that are in your Temporary Internet Files
folder.
> > Right click one of the unwanted images and go to 'Properties|Location';
> > you'll see the path to the image. Running Disk Cleanup or clearing your
> > Temporary Internet Files folder should clear it up.
> >
> > Start|All Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Disk Cleanup.
> >
> > Hal
> > --
> > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
> > http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
> > KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC NBC-IN
> > Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
> >

> > "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> > > I'm on a Windows XP SP1 machine. I'm connected to a Windows 2003
server
> > with
> > > fax sharing installed. I went to send a fax today and at the end of
the
> > fax
> > > I hit the preview button. The first page was the expected coverpage,
but
> > > when I flipped to the second page I ended up with a porn picture that
> was
> > > located in my TEMP folder. I deleted the file and then the fax preview
> > > wouldn't work.
> > >
> > > I'm definately glad I caught this before sending it, but HOW did it
> > happen?
> > > AV is VERY up to date, popup blockers installed on browser. High
> security
> > > settings. I'm behind a hardware firewall. XP has al updates applied.
> > >
> > > I'm hoping to figure out what happened based of the modified date of
the
> > > porn picture, but XP's search doesn't allow specifying any specific
time
> > > range and there are LOTS of files modified on that date.
> > >
> > > Any idea how I can ensure that this doesn't happen again?????
> > >
> > > Thanks!

Anonymous
May 6, 2004 7:57:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

That makes sense, but, how did it get there in the first place?

Also, why was it's creation time/date the same as when I created my fax?

"Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
> You're seeing temp files that are in your Temporary Internet Files folder.
> Right click one of the unwanted images and go to 'Properties|Location';
> you'll see the path to the image. Running Disk Cleanup or clearing your
> Temporary Internet Files folder should clear it up.
>
> Start|All Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Disk Cleanup.
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
> KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC NBC-IN
> Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>

> "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> > I'm on a Windows XP SP1 machine. I'm connected to a Windows 2003 server
> with
> > fax sharing installed. I went to send a fax today and at the end of the
> fax
> > I hit the preview button. The first page was the expected coverpage, but
> > when I flipped to the second page I ended up with a porn picture that
was
> > located in my TEMP folder. I deleted the file and then the fax preview
> > wouldn't work.
> >
> > I'm definately glad I caught this before sending it, but HOW did it
> happen?
> > AV is VERY up to date, popup blockers installed on browser. High
security
> > settings. I'm behind a hardware firewall. XP has al updates applied.
> >
> > I'm hoping to figure out what happened based of the modified date of the
> > porn picture, but XP's search doesn't allow specifying any specific time
> > range and there are LOTS of files modified on that date.
> >
> > Any idea how I can ensure that this doesn't happen again?????
> >
> > Thanks!

Anonymous
May 6, 2004 7:57:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

If you go to your temp files and right click on one of the porn pics will
bring up properties that will tell you when it was created, modified and
accessed. Of course accessed would be the time you right click on it. The
"created" description would be when it was downloaded on your computer.

> That makes sense, but, how did it get there in the first place?
>
> Also, why was it's creation time/date the same as when I created my fax?
>

> "Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
> > You're seeing temp files that are in your Temporary Internet Files
folder.
> > Right click one of the unwanted images and go to 'Properties|Location';
> > you'll see the path to the image. Running Disk Cleanup or clearing your
> > Temporary Internet Files folder should clear it up.
> >
> > Start|All Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Disk Cleanup.
> >
> > Hal
> > --
> > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
> > http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
> > KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC NBC-IN
> > Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com
> >

> > "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> > > I'm on a Windows XP SP1 machine. I'm connected to a Windows 2003
server
> > with
> > > fax sharing installed. I went to send a fax today and at the end of
the
> > fax
> > > I hit the preview button. The first page was the expected coverpage,
but
> > > when I flipped to the second page I ended up with a porn picture that
> was
> > > located in my TEMP folder. I deleted the file and then the fax preview
> > > wouldn't work.
> > >
> > > I'm definately glad I caught this before sending it, but HOW did it
> > happen?
> > > AV is VERY up to date, popup blockers installed on browser. High
> security
> > > settings. I'm behind a hardware firewall. XP has al updates applied.
> > >
> > > I'm hoping to figure out what happened based of the modified date of
the
> > > porn picture, but XP's search doesn't allow specifying any specific
time
> > > range and there are LOTS of files modified on that date.
> > >
> > > Any idea how I can ensure that this doesn't happen again?????
> > >
> > > Thanks!

Anonymous
May 6, 2004 12:16:50 PM

If I give you my number, can you send me some faxes?
May 13, 2004 4:52:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

>> That makes sense, but, how did it get there in the first place?

Probabally as mentioned above: Someone else using your computer.
Either that or the attempted browser hijack was successful and it
accessed the content in question regardless...I have had to clean
RoughRider.EXE (Self-Installing pornware) from three machines today
manually because neither AdAware 6 or Spybot S&D couldn't do anything
with it. :-(

>> Also, why was it's creation time/date the same as when I created my
fax?

Again as previously mentioned: It's possibly using the "LastAccessed"
value from the filesystem rather than the "Created" value.
Although at the same time, it is possible to fake dynamic file
creation with ActiveX and/or VBscript* using code like the following
sample:
'-------------------------------------------------------------
'CODE SAMPLE - VBscript:
Option Explicit
On Error Resume Next

'Dim objFSO,objFileConn,binDataStore
'Set objFSO = CreateObject("WScript.FileSystemObject")

Set objFileConn = objFSO.OpenTextFile("MyImage.jpg",1,True)
While NOT objFileConn.AtEndOfStream
binDataStore = binDataStore & objFileConn.ReadLine & vbCrLf
Wend
objFileConn.Close
Set objFileConn = objFSO.OpenTextFile("MyImage.jpg",2,True)
objFileConn.Write(blnDataStore)
objFileConn.Close

'In reality, the above example probabally won't work properly
'but you should be able to see that it reads the file, then
'overwrites it back unchanged, thus fooling the OS into
'thinking that the file was created when this code was run.
'END CODE
'-------------------------------------------------------------
(* - VBscript is the newbie virus writers wet-dream...Thanks to the
insecurity of the general ActiveX environment, ANYONE who can use a
computer can write a virus that could wipe the system registry or make
changes to the file system without the user knowing about it. Another
of Mr. B Gates brain farts I guess! :-D)

I know it may be a bit complex, but hope it helps anyway! :-D

Farewell...
>> Death <<

| Usenet N00bie... |
!