Access Point with bandwidth prioritization?

Situation: Setting up a wireless network for about two dozen
various systems (mix of laptops, desktops, etc.). All pretty
close by so no issues with reception.

The Big Boss wants priority on the network so that (s)he
gets all the bandwidth and other people get bumped down...

Any and all suggestions cheerfully accepted.

Thanks
dannyb@panix.com

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:07:39 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
<dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

>Situation: Setting up a wireless network for about two dozen
>various systems (mix of laptops, desktops, etc.). All pretty
>close by so no issues with reception.
>
>The Big Boss wants priority on the network so that (s)he
>gets all the bandwidth and other people get bumped down...
>
>Any and all suggestions cheerfully accepted.

Get the boss his own dedicated wireless access point. Put it on a
different channel (1, 6, or 11) from the others. This way, he doesn't
compete for airtime. That takes care of the RF part.

For the network, you will need some form of QoS (quality of service).
This is best done with a bandwidth manager or a dedicated router.
Something like this:
http://www.etinc.com
If you want to do it inside the wireless router, Linksys WRT54G with
Sveasoft Alchemy or Talisman have bandwidth management features. Any
Linux based router will also do bandwidth management. You didn't
describe your system so I can't offer specific recommendations.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

pierre

Considering he is the one paying, give him his own dedicated AP on a
separate channel from the rest so the channel is not shared with others.
Peter.