ABIT KT7A Tbird 850@???? help?

G

Hey guys, just lookin' for a little advice.... I have the following system

ABIT KT7a-Raid
Tbird 850
CL2 crucial 256mb RAM
2-45GB IBM Deskstars
ATI Radeon 32MB DDR

Anyway, I'm working on overclocking this puppy (I already put in the pencil lines)... here are my results, but I'd like other opinions on how to MAX this puppy out

980mhz(7x140) voltage 1.85

thats the highest I could get it into windows, and get it to operate normally

1001(7x143) I could get it to post here, but no windows :(

so it seemed to max out at the 980 setting... but then! I ran 3dmark and it kept crashing to the desktop partway through.. after a little investigation I found out that this happens if your cpu is even A LITTLE unstable.. so I need to drop it back down to get it to work right... this is an 850 and I was hoping to get it up near 1.1ghz at the max, and then bring it down to a stable 1.0 or maybe 1.05.... any advice at getting this working?

thanks

Old addage: "Users never prosper" :eek:) Long live the tweakers

G

well im not sure if it'll work but im in the process of the same thing with two systems and one is the t-bird 800 on an abit kt7a-raid the other a 1200 mhz.

i ordered mushkin cas 2 rev 3 high performance memory clocked @ 150 mhz.
i havent gotten it yet so i dont have results but my plan is simple.

run the memory @ 150 or higher ( they say the overclocking is very good with these modules) then since you unlocked the multiplier already you may as well use it, try 150 x 6.5 for a 975 first , benchmark that , i bet its faster already,
then try 175 x 5 for a 950 see what ya got.

theoreticaly if the memory can run at 200 mhz then that would be the fastest setting as the chip supports it and so does the abit mobo your using. ( actually they both support 266 fsb)
the best i think might be something like 200 x 5 to get the 1 ghz you are trying for.
even less than that with the faster fsb settings ( 150 , 175 , 200, 266 ) and lower multiplier.
also you will need to adjust the voltage core i believe
to ensure enough juice and that is gonna produce some heat, so youll wanna be sure to not only have a great heat sink but also a well vented case and plenty of fans.

i use the supermicro with 300 watt ps and super redundant cooling system.
there $ 160 us but worth every penny and very well built.

also ive just ordered the kit to unlock the multiplier from the overclocking store , its the epoxy kit.
i read that the pencil method will wear off in time.
maybe something to consider.
and on my abit kt7a-raid in the bios i can set the multiplier all the way to 155 without unlocking the multiplier so if you are going to chance the chip and do this procedure then you should definetly try setting the fsb higher than you were originally able to.
your memory is limiting you to the 143mhz ( i think thats what you said)
try the high performance memory, its very cheap and at the very worse it will run better than what you are currently using.
www.mushkin.com / cas2 revision 3 is 113.$ for 128 mbs or 399.00 for 4 128 mb modules = 512 mbs for $ 400.00 now thats hard to argue with.
cheap enough to stir your drinks with.
i hope this OPINION has helped you in some way, good luck.
my memory will be in in about a week so if you wanna leave me a message here at toms or e-mail @ surefoot4@juno.com in a week or so i will let you know if it worked for me.
my 3d mark default benchmark score is posted as 7567 with the following setup:
abit kt7a-raid mobo
t-bird 800 @ 880 ( 110 x 8 ) soon to be 150 x 6
gts prophet 2 ultra @ 285/475
currently 256 (2) 128 mb modules of pyn sd100 mhz generic memory
maxtor 20 g 7200 rpm ata 100 udma hd ( not using the raid)
6.5 gb western digital 7200 rpm hd ( operating system and such only)
creative labs sblive x-gamers
isa 3com usrobotics 56k v.90 voice/fax modem

well good luck, post your results so we can all benefit.

G

are you familiar with the bios on the KT7A??

okay, assuming you are, then you've noticed the CPU FSB area where you can choose a value from 0-28... this adds the number to the FSB of the cPU, but leaves the memory FSB alone.... sooo, I set my bios to 133 FSB on the memory, and upped the FSB on the CPU alone, slowly... I got to 9 (142FSB for cpu, 133 memory)... so again it is topping out on the processor at 142... can anyone else confirm this? Also, how the heck do you plan on getting that mobo to put out 200mhz on the memory? The only options that I see it supports is up to 155 or so, right?!?! the multiplier will give you more speed, but your limited to 155 I think

thanks

Old addage: "Users never prosper" :eek:) Long live the tweakers