PResario S4000V - one long beep, no boot

Trying to diagnose my nephew's Presario S4000V. When booting, it
gives a long beep (like 4-5 seconds), stops for maybe one second, then
another long beep...goes on and on like this.

Nothing on the screen at all - never gets to the bios info....

It's about 1 year and 2 weeks old, so HP doesn't want anything to do
with it (other than to tell hime to "just send it in".

The S4000V is a P4 2.2GHz with integrated graphics. Only card in it
is a NIC.

So does he have a RIP motherboard???

thanks....
2 answers Last reply
More about presario s4000v long beep boot

    Open up the chassis. Check that the processor is securely in its socket (it
    probably is, else there would be no beeps). Make sure that the DDR memory
    module(s) is securely clipped into their sockets. Make sure that the processor
    cooling fan is plugged in. Now power up the system.

    If you still have no luck, disconnect the hard drive, floppy drive, CD-ROM
    drive, and remove all add-in cards (except a graphics card, if any). Try again.
    If the system boots up now, you can be pretty sure that one of the add-in cards
    or devices was the cause of the problem. If the system still does not boot,
    then the problem is still more serious and may involve either a failed CPU,
    memory, or motherboard.

    If there are two or more DDR memory modules, try one, then another, alone to see
    if the system boots up then... Ben Myers

    On 18 Sep 2004 17:49:57 -0700, kgfrayne2@hotmail.com (kgf) wrote:

    >Trying to diagnose my nephew's Presario S4000V. When booting, it
    >gives a long beep (like 4-5 seconds), stops for maybe one second, then
    >another long beep...goes on and on like this.
    >
    >Nothing on the screen at all - never gets to the bios info....
    >
    >It's about 1 year and 2 weeks old, so HP doesn't want anything to do
    >with it (other than to tell hime to "just send it in".
    >
    >The S4000V is a P4 2.2GHz with integrated graphics. Only card in it
    >is a NIC.
    >
    >So does he have a RIP motherboard???
    >
    >thanks....

    Okay....the only card is the NIC. I'll disconnect everthing and see
    if I can at least get to the bios screen. CPU cooling fan is running.

    ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<414cd876.39799975@news.charter.net>...
    > Open up the chassis. Check that the processor is securely in its socket (it
    > probably is, else there would be no beeps). Make sure that the DDR memory
    > module(s) is securely clipped into their sockets. Make sure that the processor
    > cooling fan is plugged in. Now power up the system.
    >
    > If you still have no luck, disconnect the hard drive, floppy drive, CD-ROM
    > drive, and remove all add-in cards (except a graphics card, if any). Try again.
    > If the system boots up now, you can be pretty sure that one of the add-in cards
    > or devices was the cause of the problem. If the system still does not boot,
    > then the problem is still more serious and may involve either a failed CPU,
    > memory, or motherboard.
    >
    > If there are two or more DDR memory modules, try one, then another, alone to see
    > if the system boots up then... Ben Myers
    >
    > On 18 Sep 2004 17:49:57 -0700, kgfrayne2@hotmail.com (kgf) wrote:
    >
    > >Trying to diagnose my nephew's Presario S4000V. When booting, it
    > >gives a long beep (like 4-5 seconds), stops for maybe one second, then
    > >another long beep...goes on and on like this.
    > >
    > >Nothing on the screen at all - never gets to the bios info....
    > >
    > >It's about 1 year and 2 weeks old, so HP doesn't want anything to do
    > >with it (other than to tell hime to "just send it in".
    > >
    > >The S4000V is a P4 2.2GHz with integrated graphics. Only card in it
    > >is a NIC.
    > >
    > >So does he have a RIP motherboard???
    > >
    > >thanks....

Compaq Presario Computers