Can't print to file

When ever I click on Print to File, it comes up on my
desktop. However, when i got to open it, i get a popup
saying windows can't open the file because it needs to
know what program created it. it says "type of file"----
, it gives me two options, look on internet or
browse hard drive for program to open it. neither one
works.HELP!!
2 answers Last reply
More about print file

    The point is, you ARE printing to a file. A .PRN file is the output of a
    printer driver that's been directed to a file instead of a printer port; it
    contains not only the data to be printed, but also in-line commands specific
    to the type of printer driver used which tell the printer how to print the
    data. The idea is you create an output file for a printer that you can
    later COPY to the printer to print it. You do this from a Command Prompt:

    Copy /B (filename).PRN LPT1:

    ..PRN files are NOT designed to be opened by a program, they're sole purpose
    is to be sent directly to a printer

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

    "Luke Oleschak" <chlwelder@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > When ever I click on Print to File, it comes up on my
    > desktop. However, when i got to open it, i get a popup
    > saying windows can't open the file because it needs to
    > know what program created it. it says "type of file"----
    > , it gives me two options, look on internet or
    > browse hard drive for program to open it. neither one
    > works.HELP!!

    There is an article on our web site about these files, see
    http://www.frogmorecs.com/arts/what_is_a_prn_file.html

    --
    Tony Edgecombe
    www.frogmorecs.com/ng

    "Luke Oleschak" <chlwelder@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > When ever I click on Print to File, it comes up on my
    > desktop. However, when i got to open it, i get a popup
    > saying windows can't open the file because it needs to
    > know what program created it. it says "type of file"----
    > , it gives me two options, look on internet or
    > browse hard drive for program to open it. neither one
    > works.HELP!!

Microsoft Windows XP