Presario 4090US Video Upgrade

somebody

I have a 4090us and I just recently purchased a ATI Radeon 7000 Video
card. I installed the card and nothing happened, even after disabling
the onboard video from the bios, before installing the card.. when I
try to boot the computer it just hangs with no display regardless of
which video port I have it connected to, there is also no HD activity,
no keyboard lights, when I remove the new video card and plug it
back into the onboard video everything boots and works normally,
anybody have any Ideas what I need to do get the Video card to work
correctly . Thanks in advance

hh

I had a 4090 and put a Radeon 7000 in it. No need to disable anything in
BIOS. Are you sure the card is seated properly? Did you remove and reseat
it? It is an AGP card, right? On first blush, I'd look at the card as the
problem. Try checking it in another PC.
HH

<somebody@somwhere.com> wrote in message
> I have a 4090us and I just recently purchased a ATI Radeon 7000 Video
> card. I installed the card and nothing happened, even after disabling
> the onboard video from the bios, before installing the card.. when I
> try to boot the computer it just hangs with no display regardless of
> which video port I have it connected to, there is also no HD activity,
> no keyboard lights, when I remove the new video card and plug it
> back into the onboard video everything boots and works normally,
> anybody have any Ideas what I need to do get the Video card to work
> correctly . Thanks in advance

somebody

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 07:16:58 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:

No it is a PCI card.... and I did check it out in another computer
and it worked fine...

>I had a 4090 and put a Radeon 7000 in it. No need to disable anything in
>BIOS. Are you sure the card is seated properly? Did you remove and reseat
>it? It is an AGP card, right? On first blush, I'd look at the card as the
>problem. Try checking it in another PC.
>HH
>

><somebody@somwhere.com> wrote in message
>> I have a 4090us and I just recently purchased a ATI Radeon 7000 Video
>> card. I installed the card and nothing happened, even after disabling
>> the onboard video from the bios, before installing the card.. when I
>> try to boot the computer it just hangs with no display regardless of
>> which video port I have it connected to, there is also no HD activity,
>> no keyboard lights, when I remove the new video card and plug it
>> back into the onboard video everything boots and works normally,
>> anybody have any Ideas what I need to do get the Video card to work
>> correctly . Thanks in advance

mark

"somebody" - I am having the same problem right now with my Presario
7360. I bought the PCI 7000 two weeks ago and my computer does the
same thing - simply hangs on startup, no POST, no startup screen, no
nothing. I've asked around and everyone keeps telling me to disable
the onboard - except the 7360 has NO means of disabling in the BIOS.
Someone else told me to re-install the onboard drivers and get
everything working properly... then rather than un-install (remove)
the display adapter from Device Manager, simply check the disable box.
That didn't work either (for me anyway).

Finally, someone was nice enough to email me a copy of an article from
ATI's website that specifically states this problem is prevalent when
installing the Radeon 7000 into machines with onboard video. ATI's
solution is to completely disable the onboard VGA controller - nice to
know but doesn't do me any good. I'm thinking about taking it back
(if CompUSA will let me) and blow the extra $20 on a PCI 9200.

Go to www.ati.com and search their product support for the article,
should be under top installation issues or something like that. If
you can get it to work, please let me know how you did it!!

Mark

somebody@somwhere.com wrote in message news:<ddrqk012aepef9rd0urlkah43hv0e2lpt5@4ax.com>...
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 07:16:58 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> No it is a PCI card.... and I did check it out in another computer
> and it worked fine...
>

> >I had a 4090 and put a Radeon 7000 in it. No need to disable anything in
> >BIOS. Are you sure the card is seated properly? Did you remove and reseat
> >it? It is an AGP card, right? On first blush, I'd look at the card as the
> >problem. Try checking it in another PC.
> >HH
> >

> ><somebody@somwhere.com> wrote in message
> >> I have a 4090us and I just recently purchased a ATI Radeon 7000 Video
> >> card. I installed the card and nothing happened, even after disabling
> >> the onboard video from the bios, before installing the card.. when I
> >> try to boot the computer it just hangs with no display regardless of
> >> which video port I have it connected to, there is also no HD activity,
> >> no keyboard lights, when I remove the new video card and plug it
> >> back into the onboard video everything boots and works normally,
> >> anybody have any Ideas what I need to do get the Video card to work
> >> correctly . Thanks in advance

hh

PCI card? Why use that? You have an AGP slot. The onboard S3 Savage 4 video
would be as good as a PCI Radeon 7000. If you must use the PCI card, Go into
the BIOS under the Advanced area and select to initialize PCI video first.
By default it is set to onboard/AGP.