Need help making T-Bird Fly

G

Okay heres my situation.... I'm in the final preperation stages of overclocking my T-Bird. I'm pretty sure that I don't have this overclocking skill down to a science as my last T-Bird 950 blew into two pieces with a loud pop!(OOOPS!!) Anyhow... I was going to purchase a new mobo but my last mission cost me about $475 in total hardware damage so I'm stuck with this MSI 6330 mobo for now. Problem is the Bios (AMI) has no options for FSB, or just about anything for that matter. I read the "Overclocking AMD's socket A processors" but it remains unclear to me if I still need to connect the L-1 bridges to unlock a different conbination other than the OEM setting if I set the multiplier by useing the different conbinations of the L-6, L-3, and L-4 bridges on the processor. Maybe I missed a "How to" guide somewhere or something...but there seems to be alot I'm unclear about. I don't (can't afford) to burn up another mobo and processor. So maybe you guys could help me out.

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I'm not sure if that board actually supports OC. I don't know, but someone will probably tell you. Assuming it supports both multiplier and FSB: Unlock your chip by connecting the L1 bridges. Don't mess with the other bridges, you are only going to hurt yourself and your processor. Then move the FSB to as high as it will go, gradually. Then, turn down the FSB while increasing the multiplier, looking for the setting that will give you the most speed. Make sure you get a good hsf, like Alpha PAL or PEP, or GlobalWin FOP 32/38. That'll cost about 35 bucks. I would recommend just getting an Asus A7V133 or the Iwill KK266, as they are not really expensive $140, and are super overclocker friendly. Make sure you use thermal grease, like Arctic Silver. Good Luck, be careful.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.