Sign in with
Your question

Asus CUSL2-c + Celeron overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2001 9:51:32 PM

Anyone knows how to get more than 1.8V core voltage? Need it to go past @900... The bios currently supports c.v. from 1.55 to 1.80 in 0.05 steps - do I need av bios flash upgrade??
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2001 1:37:46 AM

No, you have reached the safety factor ASUS set for a 1.55 volt processor. In order to go higher you must trick the motherboard into thinking that you have a higher voltage processor. If you make your processor 1.65v by default, your motherboard will give you options from 1.65v to 1.95v. You can do this by wiring Vid1 to Vss on the processor. If you need instructions I can email them to you.

Suicide is painless...........
March 4, 2001 3:30:55 PM

To my knowledge there isn't a bios upgrade for this Mobo yet ..(1003 is most current) If I'm wrong please let me know but I don't see it on the asus tek site
Lagger
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2001 11:58:55 PM

There have been many BIOS updates (go to www.cusl2.com), all were beta versions, and now will solve his problem-the only thing that will solve his problem is to wire a couple pins together! Many people have done this and with great sucess!

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2001 12:06:00 AM

My e-mail:
billy_80m@hotmail.com

Seems like a good idea, mister Crashman..... finally past @1000....?
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2001 1:13:14 AM

Check your email.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2001 1:38:52 PM

Crashman, can you email me the instructions on how to wire the pins. Not which pins to wire though, I know that from Intel's data sheets. I just need some ideas on physically how to wire the pins, making sure only the ones you want are connected. Thank you.

my email is kvizbar@hotmail.com
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2001 3:49:20 PM

Use thin wire, like you find in headphone wire, you simply wrap the wire around the two pins and twist it tight. You can pull the tail out the side usually. Sometimes it is easier to wire to an already VSS connected outside pin than to go directly to VSS. Such is the case with connecting the Vid1 wire to VSS on the 1.55v processor to make it 1.65v: since Vid2 is already connected to VSS and is an outside pin, you can connect Vid1 to Vid2 instead of directly to VSS and get the same results, making it easier to drag the tail out the side. On the CUSL2, this results in a new voltage selection from 1.65v to 1.95v, up from 1.55v to 1.80v.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2001 8:16:27 PM

Thanks for the info Crashman.

I tried the voltage mod, but still poor overclocking on my 667. I'm beginning to think it's a dud.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2001 2:04:44 AM

Are you using an adjustable voltage board? The voltage mod I recommended to others has been to raise the default voltage to 1.65v so that the adjustments go higher. If your board does not support voltage adjustment, you may need even more. You may also be having a problem with memory or bus speeds. The PIII 667 is a 133FSB bus processor. 150 is fairly easy with good parts and will take you to 750. After that, your parts really start to take the stress. Most Coppermine processors will do 750 at about 1.7v. If your using the Celeron 667, you would need to up the bus speed to 100 to get the PCI and AGP busses to drop back down. This setting is too high for most processors, and requires 1.90-1.95v in most cases when it does work, sometimes as much as 2.05v, and in many cases it won't run at all. Most Coppermine Celerons will go to about 900-950 if they are properly cooled and the rest of the system can take it. For the averager user, this means voltage detection pin modifications that will allow voltage adjustments to about 1.85v, and a 600 or 633 set at 100MHz FSB.
Then there is aways the possibility, as you said, that it's a dud. A few percent of the processors will overclock at all.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2001 12:58:22 PM

Since my Cel667 had a default voltage of 1.65, the only other voltage I could try with the pins was 2.05 because VID3 was the only pin NOT connected to VSS. I didn't try adjusting voltage above 2.05 because I'd rather sell a non-overclockable chip than throw it in the garbage when it burns up with 2.1 volts or more. At 2.05 default, I was given choices of 2.05, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 in the BIOS menu.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2001 2:13:06 AM

Oh, you have the 1.65v, yes, the only way you can get anything other than 2.05v from modification is to bend pins away from the socket, no garuntees that if you bend them flat you can get them straight without breaking them. Did you get to 100Mhz FSB (1GHz CPU) at 2.05v?

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2001 12:00:14 AM

Nope, no 100 FSB with 2.05 V. Couldn't even get past 75. I returned the chip and got a P3-750/100 instead. It overclocks much better than that *#@! Cel667 I had. It was the worst overclocking chip I've ever owned.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2001 1:50:40 AM

Bad choice again! The chances of a 750 hitting 1GHz at 133 without excessive heat or system locks is relatively low. A PIII700 will go to 933 at 133 easily. It is nice to be able to get to 133, it allows you to drop back to normal PCI and AGP speeds.

!