Printer won't delete

I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but...I have 2 XP pro machines
used by our Controller and Payables person. The Controller prints to
an HP LJ5 that's shared off the payables computer. He was having
problems printing so I tried deleting and re-installing the printer.
(It was also on the machine twice, so I am trying to delete both.)
However, the printer won't delete. It says "Deleting" but is not going
away. The user does have admin rights.

To make matters worse, every time I open the Printers and Fax folder
XP shifts 98% of CPU resources to the process explorer.exe causing
other apps to lock up or go at a snail's pace. Of course when I
terminate the explorer process the other apps go back to normal, but
there's no start menu, desktop, task bar, etc.

So...is there any way to force a printer uninstall? Maybe from dos?

TIA
-john smith
1 answer Last reply
More about printer delete

    Step a) Stop the printer spooler on the PC to which the printer is
    attached... ie Payables. From the command prompt, type
    net stop spooler
    (and hit enter)

    Now go to the other PC and follow Bruce Sanderson's instructions to
    uninstall the printer completely.

    Reboot the other PC.

    command prompt, type:
    net start spooler
    (and hit enter)

    Tools, Folder Options and look in the Views tab. If the first box
    "Automatically search for Network Folders and Printers" is checked, the
    Payables PC should automatically find and install the printer.

    --
    Cari
    www.coribright.com
    "John Smith" <jsmith@breakthroughministries.com> wrote in message
    > I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but...I have 2 XP pro machines
    > used by our Controller and Payables person. The Controller prints to
    > an HP LJ5 that's shared off the payables computer. He was having
    > problems printing so I tried deleting and re-installing the printer.
    > (It was also on the machine twice, so I am trying to delete both.)
    > However, the printer won't delete. It says "Deleting" but is not going
    > away. The user does have admin rights.
    >
    > To make matters worse, every time I open the Printers and Fax folder
    > XP shifts 98% of CPU resources to the process explorer.exe causing
    > other apps to lock up or go at a snail's pace. Of course when I
    > terminate the explorer process the other apps go back to normal, but
    > there's no start menu, desktop, task bar, etc.
    >
    > So...is there any way to force a printer uninstall? Maybe from dos?
    >
    > TIA
    > -john smith

Printers Windows XP