Newbie needs help with CPU volt and general OCing

G

I know how to set jumpers properly - cpu clock, bus freq and all others. I have a k6-2 running at 450 2.2 volt (norm). The mobo I have supports 550, I tried OCing a slight nudge to 483 and 500 didn't work at all. Had the bios settings on stable rather then performance. And the cpu didn't get that hot, so I don't think cooling is the factor limiting me here.

My question is how does the cpu volt affect OCing? And is ram a large factor? - I have 256 SD pc 100

Also any suggestions regarding OCing in general would be a great help. Thanks in advance

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
sounds like you have the older K6-2 model, which is notoriously bad for overclocking. The new K6-2's are very OCable, but the old K6 line is not at all. If you jump the voltage up to like 2.5 or 2.6 you might get an extra 50MHz, but that baby would get hot. I have heard of one guy who pumped his 400 up that way, but he had a water cooler which kept the extra heat away.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Voltage increases will sometimes allow a higher overclock. I have had the k6-2's up to 2.8v for extended periods without ill efect, but you'll have to keep an eye on the temps.

Suicide is painless...........

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hey wusy, it's a good place to start if you don't want to buy something newer, or if you want to start overclocking as a hobby and don't want to risk ruining something new on your first try!

Suicide is painless...........

RocKo

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
hardcore OC'er?! you havent even overclocked your own system!!!!! .........

"I left a track of posts, and lost track of time..." <font color=red><b>-RocKo</b></font color=red> :cool:

G

Wusy can't overclock his system - because his dad will get pi$$ed off when he's trying to work on it and it crashes!

G

my K6-2 450 did 500mhz easy, without having to change the voltage from 2.2 or anything, but it wouldnt budge past 500, no matter what you did to it. it was kinda strange, but there you go.

Smoking is a major cause of statistics.