MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
I have been thinking about how SWTOR looks and with everything maxed out in game and FXAA enabled through the nvidia control panel it still just looks horrible to me, even with 1.2. I understand Blizzard with WOW and Bioware with SWTOR wanting to keep the game settings so low that everyone can play it, but I feel cheated.

Dont get me wrong SWTOR is fun but the graphics are just bad. With everything maxed out I am still getting 111 FPS 95% of the time, so I would venture that my rig can handle much more. I really want more too, I can handle more, I want the in game graphics to look so much more like the cinematics.

There are the people who post on Bios forums that the graphics aren't low enough that they cant play it, so naturally Bio wanting to get more money makes the game look even worse. The game could easily be played on a xbox, so why is it on a pc? BF3 has an XBOX version and then a PC version that looks so much better, and I don't mind this its cool!

But I feel like WOW, SWTOR, and other MMO's that are major cash cows for companies in conjunction too the people who say the graphics aren't low enough and consoles being so far behind that are really hurting PC in game graphics. Why do developers feel like they have to make games that are as good as XBOX and that is good enough. Why does Bioware cap the game graphics so low, to me these look like they should be low to mid range, maybe higher mid range . Graphics to me can absolutely make a game more beautiful and enjoyable and enhance the experience, or they can break it and right now the bad graphics are breaking it. I was wondering if anyone else was thinking what I was, if so what can we do? Bioware stated that they listen to feed back on their forums and try to implement them, hence the lower graphics settings in the new patch and the higher than before graphics settings.But still the shadows look like they were made from freakin legos for cryin out loud, with everything maxed out and FXAA! To me this is not acceptable, I do not like it one bit. What can a guy do though?

Solution
You really hit on all of the exact reasons for the graphics being toned down.

As far as what you can do about it? Nothing, sadly. On the bright side, there are 2 new MMO's coming out in the next month that both have substantially better graphics comparatively. Those are Tera and Guild Wars 2. Unfortunately if you play SWTOR because you're a sucker for Star Wars canon, you're stuck with what ya got. On the bright side, it's a lot better than the previous multiplayer Star Wars rpg.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
You really hit on all of the exact reasons for the graphics being toned down.

As far as what you can do about it? Nothing, sadly. On the bright side, there are 2 new MMO's coming out in the next month that both have substantially better graphics comparatively. Those are Tera and Guild Wars 2. Unfortunately if you play SWTOR because you're a sucker for Star Wars canon, you're stuck with what ya got. On the bright side, it's a lot better than the previous multiplayer Star Wars rpg.

Solution

kcsmacker

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
SWTOR is made on a crap engine so they can not increase the graphics much more without screwing most people over. They did not optimize the game for higher end rigs and in a way bottleneck the higher rigs. EA spent so much money on voice acting I guess they could not afford a good engine to run games.

The fact that Tera and GW 2 are going to look so much better and run with the same FPS if not more shows how back SWTOR was made. MEH SWTOR could have been great but EA took over and is making Bioware look worse then they are. EA was voted worst company of the year and with good reason.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

EA voted worst company of the year over Bank of America because the internet is most vocally populated by perpetually adolescent manchildren who will never have a mortage lol. There is no getting around that.

Really though, Bioware developed the game and said "well, good enough." That has been their trend for years. They haven't made a good game since KOTR. Mediocre games have been their MO for a decade now. It's time to get used to it lol.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
GW2 has an initial purchase and then it is free. There is no subscription. I wasn't much of a GW1 player but from what I've read, GW2 shouldn't be judged by GW1, because the new game is embracing a lot of mechanics that simply weren't really explored when the first game came out.

pchelpdesk

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Why so concerned with graphics? The game looks fine to me and better yet after the 1.2 patch and maxed settings. As for being an MMO you don't want lag or people blinking around on the screen because thier computer is old because most people will not be upgrading hardware until they absolutely have to. I think gameplay should be first graphics is just a bonus how does this effect your game other than just looking good?

williet13

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Man is just a loonely guy that has nothing else better to spend his money on, prolly spent 3k on his rig.
I mean the graphics in Swtor are great, if ya hate it so much, plz move on, k.

thanks,

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Clearly he doesn't think they're great. Personally I don't think they are either. No reason to be an apologist for a certain game title. This isn't an official Star Wars forum. If you don't like that, maybe you should move on, or not contribute to his otherwise constructive thread.