bam.com?

I was trying to go to Books-A-Million's web site to find something to spend
that left-over gift card on that I got for Christmas. Strangely enough, it
redirected to VZW's web site. I checked out the owner and VZW has owned the
site since 1994. Anyone have any idea why in the world they'd own this
site? Some acquired company from years past?

Curious,
Stephen
10 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    S. Byers wrote:
    > I was trying to go to Books-A-Million's web site to find something to spend
    > that left-over gift card on that I got for Christmas. Strangely enough, it
    > redirected to VZW's web site. I checked out the owner and VZW has owned the
    > site since 1994. Anyone have any idea why in the world they'd own this
    > site? Some acquired company from years past?

    Ummmm...

    BAM = Bell Atlantic Mobile. Verizon = GTE + Bell Atlantic. :)

    Bell Atlantic must have either grabbed the domain name after it expired, or
    purchased it from the original owner.

    "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)

    Steve Sobol wrote:

    > S. Byers wrote:
    > > I was trying to go to Books-A-Million's web site to find something to spend
    > > that left-over gift card on that I got for Christmas. Strangely enough, it
    > > redirected to VZW's web site. I checked out the owner and VZW has owned the
    > > site since 1994. Anyone have any idea why in the world they'd own this
    > > site? Some acquired company from years past?
    >
    > Ummmm...
    >
    > BAM = Bell Atlantic Mobile. Verizon = GTE + Bell Atlantic. :)
    >
    > Bell Atlantic must have either grabbed the domain name after it expired, or
    > purchased it from the original owner.

    Try http://www.booksamillion.com.

    Notan

    or www.bamm.com

    > Steve Sobol wrote:
    >>
    >> S. Byers wrote:
    >> > I was trying to go to Books-A-Million's web site to find something to
    >> > spend
    >> > that left-over gift card on that I got for Christmas. Strangely
    >> > enough, it
    >> > redirected to VZW's web site. I checked out the owner and VZW has
    >> > owned the
    >> > site since 1994. Anyone have any idea why in the world they'd own this
    >> > site? Some acquired company from years past?
    >>
    >> Ummmm...
    >>
    >> BAM = Bell Atlantic Mobile. Verizon = GTE + Bell Atlantic. :)
    >>
    >> Bell Atlantic must have either grabbed the domain name after it expired,
    >> or
    >> purchased it from the original owner.
    >
    > Try http://www.booksamillion.com.
    >
    > Notan

    Thanks :-) I was able to find the Books-A-Million site. Just thought it
    was interesting about the bam.com link with VZW.

    "cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > or www.bamm.com
    >
    > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    >> Steve Sobol wrote:

    >>> Ummmm...
    >>>
    >>> BAM = Bell Atlantic Mobile. Verizon = GTE + Bell Atlantic. :)
    >>>
    >>> Bell Atlantic must have either grabbed the domain name after it expired,
    >>> or
    >>> purchased it from the original owner.
    >>
    >> Try http://www.booksamillion.com.
    >>
    >> Notan

    On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 04:36:07 GMT, "S. Byers"
    <stephen@REMOVETHIScompsciguyREMOVETHIS.com> wrote:

    >Thanks :-) I was able to find the Books-A-Million site. Just thought it
    >was interesting about the bam.com link with VZW.

    Also in this line of companies:

    BAM = Bell Atlantic Mobile + NYNEX Mobile (they merged before BA
    merged with NYNEX).

    Verizon = Bell Atlantic (south) + Bell Atlantic (North) (formerly
    NYNEX) + GTE + Contel (GTE bought them in 1991)

    Verizon Wireless = Airtouch + Bell Atlantic Mobile + NYNEX Mobile +
    GTE Wireless + a TON of smaller companies!

    Dave

    "S. Byers" wrote:

    > I was trying to go to Books-A-Million's web site to find something to spend
    > that left-over gift card on that I got for Christmas. Strangely enough, it
    > redirected to VZW's web site. I checked out the owner and VZW has owned the
    > site since 1994. Anyone have any idea why in the world they'd own this
    > site? Some acquired company from years past?
    >
    > Curious,
    > Stephen

    bam = Bell Atlantic Mobile Verizon's name before a merger or two.
    I used Google to search for Books-a-million and got
    www.booksamillion.com

    LB

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 19:13:07 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:
    >BAM = Bell Atlantic Mobile. Verizon = GTE + Bell Atlantic. :)
    >
    >Bell Atlantic must have either grabbed the domain name after it expired, or
    >purchased it from the original owner.

    I believe Bell Atlantic Mobile owned bam.com from the beginning.

    --
    Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
    njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."

    On 06 Feb 2005 in alt.cellular.verizon, Bob Scheurle wrote:

    > I believe Bell Atlantic Mobile owned bam.com from the beginning.

    All the way back to 1996:

    http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://bam.com/

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/

    BAM stands for Bell Atlantic Mobile. Then it became Bell Atlantic/Nynex.
    Then finally Verizon Wireless.

    Joe Makowiec wrote:
    > On 06 Feb 2005 in alt.cellular.verizon, Bob Scheurle wrote:
    >

    >>I believe Bell Atlantic Mobile owned bam.com from the beginning.
    >

    > All the way back to 1996:
    >
    > http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://bam.com/

    Ahh yes. 1996 was back when BAM was charging 5 cents per minute in
    addition to your airtime (or just 12 cents per call regardless of
    duration, in some of the luckier coverage areas) to put your call
    through to a local landline phone. It's in the fine print at:

    http://web.archive.org/web/19970116070640/http://www.bam.com/Nydigtal.htm

    The claim was that Bell Atlnatic, the mobile telephone company, was
    assessed a landline interconnect fee by Bell Atlantic, the local phone
    company. Even though it was all really the same entity, and the
    competing cellular carrier (then Comcast Cellular One, which later
    became a part of Cingular) and Sprint PCS didn't seem to have this same
    attached fee. :)

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Verizon Internet Service Providers Books