connecting to a particular wireless router by command line ?

Tags:
  • Wireless Router
  • Wireless
  • Command Line
  • Internet
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
September 15, 2005 8:10:34 PM

Is it possible ?

More about : connecting wireless router command line

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 15, 2005 8:10:35 PM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:10:34 GMT, Ed <Ed@myhouse.org> wrote:

>Is it possible ?

Sure. I do it all the time with telnet or SSH to Cisco 340/35/1200
wireless routers. Also Linksys WRT54G routers with Sveasoft
alternative firmware can do telnet and SSH.

If you have an aversion to graphical web browsers, you might try using
Lynx
http://www.indiana.edu/~uitspubs/b123/z123.html
http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm
or one of the other text based web browsers. I haven't tried this for
quite a long time and have no clue how well it will work. There are
other text based browsers but I'm too lazy to list them.

However, by "particular" I assume that you already own a wireless
router and are embarrassed by the fact that you cannot connect to it
from an MSDOS or Linux shell command line. Some disclosure of what
you're tinkering with and what you're trying to accomplish would be
helpful.

Incidentally, if you insist on putting your question on the subject
line, please be advised that there are those that have news readers
that truncate the subject line after about 20 characters and/or do not
view the subject line while preparing the reply. If it's not too much
trouble, you might want to repeat the question in the body of the
message so I can see it.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 15, 2005 8:25:55 PM

> Is it possible ?

Not really, depends on how many routers share the same SSID.

Any clue on operating system or is this an OS agnostic question?
a b F Wireless
September 16, 2005 12:16:24 AM

> Sure. I do it all the time with telnet or SSH to Cisco 340/35/1200
> wireless routers. Also Linksys WRT54G routers with Sveasoft
> alternative firmware can do telnet and SSH.

I presumed he wanted a command to issue to connect as in make a wireless
connection. Shows what happens when you have to make assumptions!

David.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 16, 2005 4:24:15 AM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:16:24 GMT, David Taylor <djtaylor@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>> Sure. I do it all the time with telnet or SSH to Cisco 340/35/1200
>> wireless routers. Also Linksys WRT54G routers with Sveasoft
>> alternative firmware can do telnet and SSH.

>I presumed he wanted a command to issue to connect as in make a wireless
>connection. Shows what happens when you have to make assumptions!
>David.

Assumption, the mother of all screwups.

Permit me to rant about the word "connect". It's about as ambiguous
as they come and can mean at least 5 different things I can think of,
and probably some more I haven't considered. Make that 6 ways as it
might mean making a connection with the local drug dealer.
"Connecting to... a ... wireless router" isn't very descriptive. For
all I know, he might be trying to initiate a wireless link using the
"wl" command:
http://wrt-wiki.bsr-clan.de/index.php?title=Wl_command
It can be done but it's no fun.

Same litany as always:
1. What are you trying to accomplish?
2. What do you have to work with?
3. What have you done so far?

# 831.336.2558 voice Skype: JeffLiebermann
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
# http://802.11junk.com
# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# jeffl@cruzio.com
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 16, 2005 7:41:15 PM

> all I know, he might be trying to initiate a wireless link using the
> "wl" command:
> http://wrt-wiki.bsr-clan.de/index.php?title=Wl_command
> It can be done but it's no fun.

Which is what I was thinking of
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 16, 2005 7:41:16 PM

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:41:15 GMT, David Taylor <djtaylor@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>> all I know, he might be trying to initiate a wireless link using the
>> "wl" command:
>> http://wrt-wiki.bsr-clan.de/index.php?title=Wl_command
>> It can be done but it's no fun.

>Which is what I was thinking of

I do like mysteries. He may also be tryin to connect:

1. To a network share without using Windoze as in:
NET VIEW
NET VIEW \\SERVER
NET USE G: \\SERVER\SHARENAME
DIR G:

2. Connect via wireless using a DOS LANMAN client and the NDIS or ODI
drivers. It's fairly easy to do with older cards (Orinoco classic)
that have DOS installations.
http://www.bootdisk.com

3. Same as #2 except using Linux.

However much I enjoy mysteries, I'll wait for clarification on this
one.

!