Sign in with
Your question

Updating oem version with retail key

Last response: in Windows 7
October 11, 2010 9:26:00 PM

Currently i have genuine windows 7 Home premium (toshiba version). I have a retail cd key for professional edition. i would like to update my version of windows without a clean install. how can i do it?
if i update in a normal way, it says me to enter a different key
a b $ Windows 7
October 11, 2010 10:06:36 PM

If you had an upgrade key, it would work. If you have a full retail copy, then you will have to back up your data and do a clean install. There's really no way around it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2010 1:48:32 PM

Normally a Toshibia Install disk is an OEM version and probably only has the preium version on it.. A key for the professional Version will probably not work, even if you did a clean install using the Toshibia DVD.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 13, 2010 11:42:24 PM

Yes you can do it. I did an in "Windows Any Time Upgrade" on my Acer laptop to Win 7 Pro. As long as the key is valid it does not matter if it is an Upgrade key or a Full version key and it is x64/x86 respectively (meaning, you can't use a 32 bit key with x64).

To do this, just search for "Windows Any time upgrade" in the start menu.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2010 11:53:15 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Yes you can do it. I did an in "Windows Any Time Upgrade" on my Acer laptop to Win 7 Pro. As long as the key is valid it does not matter if it is an Upgrade key or a Full version key and it is x64/x86 respectively (meaning, you can't use a 32 bit key with x64).

To do this, just search for "Windows Any time upgrade" in the start menu.

^+1
backing up and saving is always a safe way but i feel you can just upgrade and not have to full install..
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2010 12:40:51 AM

^+1 on backing up anything important before doing any major OS upgrades (ie SPs, IE9,etc).
m
l
!