Sign in with
Your question

Which Racing game is best on the PC?

Last response: in Video Games
April 13, 2012 3:09:13 AM

I'm looking for a PC based racing game. I used to enjoy Sports Car GT on my old windows 98 PC, but have now upgraded to windows 7. Any suggestions?

More about : racing game

April 13, 2012 3:18:31 AM

I am by no means an expert on this. Stringjam gave me good recommendations when I had the same question. I would say that Dirt 3 is the best, followed by Dirt 2 and Shift 2 in that order. They are all extremely close in quality and fun though.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 13, 2012 5:02:34 AM

shift 2 is about the best if you add some physics mods... it looks way better than forza and gt5 where tracks can be visually compared and handling is given a boost by the mod community...
dirt 3 is ok but to be honest doesnt hold your attention as well as it should have...
dirt 2 drives better but looks dated and the dx11 is just an afterthought...
f1 2011 wasnt a bad game... plays very much like an unaltered shift 2 though... but if you put in a little effort you can get the handling to simulate an f1 car propelry... (ie the back will swap ends if you try accelerating through a corner or dab the breaks in a corner like a normal RWD car would)
if you want hardcore sim then Rfactor 2 is for you. the first 1 is pretty damn good but is a bitch to setup and play... 2 will be out in the next few weeks to months and promises a full dx11 experience that will blow every other racer out of the water...
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
April 13, 2012 5:12:43 AM

I love trackmania. Really addictive!
m
l
April 13, 2012 7:56:24 PM

heids24 said:
Note that the downloadable version of Shift 2 is on sale for only $5 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-40624-Unleashed1-...

That's a really great deal......like casualcolors was saying, I really like this game. It needs the handling mini-mod, but after that, it's really a lot of fun.

I love Dirt3 as well.....what I don't love about it is GFWL, and having to be logged in to actually save progress. Luckily I found a hack that lets you play the game and save progress without having to log in to a Windows Live account (sorry, but that's just utterly ridiculous.....game saves should be a totally local process - period.) I think the Gymkhana stuff is an absolute blast.....takes a lot of practice to get the hang of, but I love it.
m
l
April 14, 2012 11:35:57 AM

I'd say NFS Shift 2 Unleashed is the best racing game for PC with a physics mod.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 14, 2012 2:00:47 PM

your not wrong there but i found it ridiculous to set up and get to run... the sheer amount of hoops i had to jump through was a joke. from selecting specific drivers to using code tweaks. i could never be sure if the game was gonna work from 1 load to the next. but if you can get it up and running its still worth playing... on ps2 i managed a nurburg time of 5:14.313 in the c9 merc and managed to get 99.7% complete (i seem to choke on the very last nurburg trial every time)...

so yeah if you can get it to run then its worth the effort... if you have a ps2 then it really is a lot easier ;) 
m
l
April 14, 2012 2:07:29 PM

although all the games mentioned above are great, I still prefer Need For Speed Most Wanted. love it :) 
m
l
April 15, 2012 10:10:53 PM

casualcolors said:
I am by no means an expert on this. Stringjam gave me good recommendations when I had the same question. I would say that Dirt 3 is the best, followed by Dirt 2 and Shift 2 in that order. They are all extremely close in quality and fun though.

Thanks for the info. I'll try Shift2 as it seems to fit with my style of racing.
Phil05
m
l
April 15, 2012 10:13:43 PM

HEXiT said:
shift 2 is about the best if you add some physics mods... it looks way better than forza and gt5 where tracks can be visually compared and handling is given a boost by the mod community...
dirt 3 is ok but to be honest doesnt hold your attention as well as it should have...
dirt 2 drives better but looks dated and the dx11 is just an afterthought...
f1 2011 wasnt a bad game... plays very much like an unaltered shift 2 though... but if you put in a little effort you can get the handling to simulate an f1 car propelry... (ie the back will swap ends if you try accelerating through a corner or dab the breaks in a corner like a normal RWD car would)
if you want hardcore sim then Rfactor 2 is for you. the first 1 is pretty damn good but is a bitch to setup and play... 2 will be out in the next few weeks to months and promises a full dx11 experience that will blow every other racer out of the water...

Thanks for the info. I'll try getting Shift2 from Amazon, as suggested by other replies.
Phil05
m
l
April 15, 2012 11:43:03 PM

Phil 05 said:
Thanks for the info. I'll try getting Shift2 from Amazon, as suggested by other replies.
Phil05

Make sure to go here and download this mini-mod for it.....seriously, it improves the handling qualities 100%. I almost quit playing the game out of frustration until I found this mod.

http://www.virtualr.net/need-for-speed-shift-2-handling...
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
April 16, 2012 11:08:16 AM

If your looking for realism then Iracing by far
m
l
!