an easy 1 but i need your help.abit/tbird/fsb

G

first off system specs.
abit kt7a-raid/t-bird 800/256 mbs 2( 128 sticks) cas2 rev 3
geforce 2 ultra
creative labs sblive x gamers
20 g maxtor etc....

just installed my mushkin cas 2 rev 3 128 mb modules 2 of em.
i ordered them so i could increase my fsb and run stable.
the pyn sd100 i had clocked @ 110 x 8 = 880 and ran great.

i cant get the multiplier above the 110 now with the new modules that are garaunteed to run @ 150 , so i must have missed something . itjust wont boot, booted once at 960, 120 x 8 but wasnt stable enough to run 3dmark wich i understand is very sensitive to instability.

the bios shows the multipliers up to 155/36 without unlocking the multiplier wich i havent done but i do have the epoxy kit.
ive read alot on this here at toms and hope that someone can help.
i really dont understand the second # the pci mhz i guess, 155/36.
also if i select user define in the bios and make my settings 110 x 8 there is another setting that i dont know if i should touch or not.
heres what appears as i look at it in order:

cpu operating speed.........user define/cpu default
multiplier factor...........x8
cpu fsb/pci clock...........110/34 or 36 i think
cpu fsb plus ( mhz).........0 ( this the one im not sure about)
speed error hold............disabled
cpu power supply............cpu default ( wich is: 1.7 core/3.4 i/o voltage
and then alot of other stuff.
i set sdram cycle length to 2 from three assuming it is refering to the cas latency.
any help would be great.
i ultimately would like to run the set up at 150 fsb x 5.5 or 6 for an 825 to 900.
well thank you in advance for your help and all the help that everyone at toms has given me to build this machine from scratch.
becoming a favorite part of my day to check these posts. lol

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You'll probably have to unlock the the processor but try increasing the core voltage. Up it to 1.85 volts. The Tbird can take it. See how far the FSB will go. Monitor your CPU temperatures. As you experiment more and more you will gain a feel for what is a critcal temperature for your overclocked CPU. If the results are not good enough you may find that you will want to invest in more cooling solutions.

The FSB/PCI clock and the FSB plus parameters are described in the manual as having two different functions. The former is supposed to increase FSB and PCI clocks together with the PCI clock being equal to 1/3 of the FSB clock. The latter was supposed to just increase the FSB alone. In reality, they both increase the FSB and the PCI clocks. At some point the KT7A changes the divider so that the PCI clock becomes 1/4 of the FSB clock but as I own a KT7 I don't know where that point is. I think it is 133 mhz.

Good luck.

G

thanx for the reply.
im wondering though why cant it all come together if the motherboard supports the fsb up to 266 the chip to 200 mhz and the memory to 150 mhz?
very misleading marketing if it cant, why say something will do something when in reality you have to use epoxy paste or pencils?
makes me angry. i have an epoxy kit so if need be i will do it.
i will go try setting the voltage though and see how far i can go without unlocking.
how far should i be able to ? 133?
well thank you again

Bombastik

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
You seem to be doing well... but here's the drill...

You SHOULD be able to use a 150Mhz FSB (you said multiplier, but you mean FSB :) ) BUT.

Keep in mind that without unlocking the multiplier lock your stuck at 8xFSB so if you increase the FSB to 120 yo get near 1Ghz speeds, and as far as i know the Athlon at this speed (as said i still haven't bought my TBird 1Ghz) has a higher Vcore than the TBird800, so if you want to use near 1Ghz speeds, you should think about increasing the Vcore a bit (just keep an eye on the temperature!!!).

Anyway, if you really want to have/use a 150Mhz FSB (if, as you say, the mushkin are PC150) you must LOWER the multiplier since 8x150=1.2Ghz which i think is a bit too much for the TB800 without drastic cooling stuff.

Altough you shouldn't have any problems with 5.5x150 (825Mhz), i think 6x150 (900Mhz) should be THE sweet spot for the TB800, and don't expect the TB800 to work >=1Ghz very well...

G

thanx for your post, i appreciate it.
i totaly agree with you about the 150 x 6 for 900 , and yes i was inverting the names fsb and multiplier, sorry.
now for the good stuff,
we all agree to unlock the multiplier and what pencil or epoxy paste to useetcc.
we have even seen the pictures of the chip.
hell mine was in my hand under a magnifying glass.
what do i connect exactly? the L1 bridges?
that doesnt make sense to me as they are a single row of 4 and are not split anywhere.
they are next to the L3 bridges wich ends up looking like two rows of 4 connectors side by side, the way you would want them to be if you were going to connect them.
but it didnt work when i did it .
everyone is saying connect the L1 bridges , sorry i must be stupid, i will do it but i cant see how.
please dont give up on me yet. there are pictures of what where the L1 bridges are in the article amd overclocking guide here at toms.
see if you can look at those images and tell what to connect and maybe fill me in , please.
better yet if someone somewhwere who has done this and may have a picture of it afterwards please let us see.
thanx again

Bombastik

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
Ok there's an article here at Tom's that SHOULD give you a clear picture... you can find it at:
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/01q1/010115/index.html
And browsing to "Modification Instructions: L1 bridges must be closed"
direct-link (http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/01q1/010115/pcsystem-04.html)

As you can see in the picture is ONLY on the 4 rows/columns (depends at the angle you lock at them :) ) of L1 (upper-left corner when the letters L1 thru L4 are in the correct way) MUST be connected , but SOME may allready be connect so you just have to connect the unconnected ones (or all 4 if all 4 are disconnected)

So where's an ASCII schematic:
(ignore the single dots, the : means disconnected, the | means connected, the x means don't care just leave as is)

L1 .:::: .xxx L2
L3 .xxxx .xxxx L4

What you want is:

L1 .|||| .xxx L2
L3 .xxxx .xxxx L4

Just be carefull when aplying the graphite/silver epoxy no to short out connections within the L1 bridge...

Hope this helped...

G

thank you it did help and i have since found and unlocked the chip. ( running at 7 x 143/41 for a 1000mhz.
28 deg celsius. i scored 8850 something on 3dmark and it ran very nice and stable as is everything else so far.
this machine has scored top dog 3d mark @ madonion for all the 800's / 900's/ and 4rth in the 1ghz cpu's not too shabby.
although i have another problem but its posted as " ok i got it check it out"
what did you mean be careful not to short out the connections within the bridges?
i just carefully applied the epoxy to each of the four connectors and let it dry. hope that was right.

there is a fool proof picture anyway at the site www.crazypc.com.-search tbird unlocking kit, and look at the epoxy and the picture of a chip after the procedure.

see, the close up diagrams are not at all to scale so assuming there accurate lead me to assume the l1 and l3 bridges on the chip corresponded to the diagram.
look at the diagram there and youll see what i mean.
a better description for such a touchy procedure is in order.
who cares why it works or how it works?
just show that its actually the little split in the l1 bridges themselves that need to be connected and if i knew i was looking for a space of less than a centimeter it would have narrowed any possibilities to the correct spot.

people have explained this pencil trick to me and i heard one person describe shading a line from one bridge to the other.
to me seemed like it was going to be a pretty long line.
never imagined such a small break but i get it now and could show or explain it pretty easily.
i want to say thank you though seriously, you have been kind and patient with me despite the multiple posts and stressed tones at times and i cant tell you how important that was to me and is as i move along this road to unleashing the power of my puter.
well thank you again, and if you can stomach it the saga continues in the post i mentioned above ,lol, can always use your help and suggestions.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lumper123 on 03/05/01 00:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Well done!

Looking at that diagram, I see how it could confuse. I had sen lots of pics while searching round for the info, so I knew how small the bridges were. I spent a day and a big headache searching for info on how to do this.

Glad you got it done in the end ;)

Tom...

I think i'll go out & buy a 50 quid Duron today.. I cant bear going back to the Celeron after my clocked tbird800! :-(