Persario 5000US - Hard Drive Imminent Failure?

tomas

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

When I tried to add a spare Maxtor HDD that I have laying around, I
got the message "1720 - Hard Drive detects imminent failure" during
bootup.

I tred to confirm the problem with Maxtor's diagnostic software,
Powermax, and it did not find any problems. I also tried switching
from primary IDE to secondary and back, and changing jumper setting.
But same problem.

Anyone know what it could be? I don't want 40G of storage go to
waste.

On 20 Sep 2004 07:47:35 -0700, Tomas <tomasttse@yahoo.com> wrote:
> When I tried to add a spare Maxtor HDD that I have laying around, I
> got the message "1720 - Hard Drive detects imminent failure" during
> bootup.
>
> I tred to confirm the problem with Maxtor's diagnostic software,
> Powermax, and it did not find any problems. I also tried switching
> from primary IDE to secondary and back, and changing jumper setting.
> But same problem.
>
> Anyone know what it could be? I don't want 40G of storage go to
> waste.

I got that useful error on a Presario (old K6-2/400) the boot before the
boot its 10g Win98 boot drive failed. The drive had been making clicking
noises for some time (weeks or months). But it was primarily running
Linux from a different drive, so no loss. I originally purchased that PC
for $100 which included a free year of MSN (out of the box return). It
would not initially boot until all drives (CD and LS-120) except hard
driver were unplugged, because they were incorrectly jumpered cable
select.

Are the drives jumpered master and slave, or cable select? The original
drive cable was likely cable select (because I used the cable from a 5000
that died to transfer data to a new PC). But what cable type or jumper
setting did you use for CD or DVD? Maybe a drive on the secondary IDE
channel is not connected or jumpered properly.

Agreed, check the jumpers on the drives and the type of IDE cable. Compaq has
long used cable select type cables with one of the wire leads cut. You can see
the cut if you hold the cable up to the light.

The Compaq BIOS, like many other modern ones, has a built-in hard drive test in
its Power On Self Test (POST) routine. The test can be disabled (turned off),
but it serves as a good warning about the relative sanity of hard disk drives.

Some questions. What is the age & vintage of the computer? What type of
processor? Older computers have BIOS limitations in terms of recognizing and
configuring for hard drive capacity. As a rule of thumb, a newer Pentium class
computer usually is limited to 8.4GB, as are some early Pentium II computers.
Many late Pentium II and Pentium III computers have a 32GB BIOS limit.

.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 05:38:17 +0000 (UTC), efflandt@xnet.com (David Efflandt)
wrote:

>On 20 Sep 2004 07:47:35 -0700, Tomas <tomasttse@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> When I tried to add a spare Maxtor HDD that I have laying around, I
>> got the message "1720 - Hard Drive detects imminent failure" during
>> bootup.
>>
>> I tred to confirm the problem with Maxtor's diagnostic software,
>> Powermax, and it did not find any problems. I also tried switching
>> from primary IDE to secondary and back, and changing jumper setting.
>> But same problem.
>>
>> Anyone know what it could be? I don't want 40G of storage go to
>> waste.
>
>I got that useful error on a Presario (old K6-2/400) the boot before the
>boot its 10g Win98 boot drive failed. The drive had been making clicking
>noises for some time (weeks or months). But it was primarily running
>Linux from a different drive, so no loss. I originally purchased that PC
>for $100 which included a free year of MSN (out of the box return). It
>would not initially boot until all drives (CD and LS-120) except hard
>driver were unplugged, because they were incorrectly jumpered cable
>select.
>
>Are the drives jumpered master and slave, or cable select? The original
>drive cable was likely cable select (because I used the cable from a 5000
>that died to transfer data to a new PC). But what cable type or jumper
>setting did you use for CD or DVD? Maybe a drive on the secondary IDE
>channel is not connected or jumpered properly.

tomas

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Thank you David and Ben!!!!!

It was the jumper setting. The boot drive from Compaq was setted
Cable Select. The last owner of the PC replaced the CD drive with a
CD-R and setted it as Slave on the second IDE.

So when I place the 40G Maxtor as Slave on the primary IDE or Cable
Select on the secondary IDE, I would get the "Imminent Failure"
message. Everything is fine when placed on the primary as CS or on
the secondary as Master.

Also, is there a way to view the POST process? Right now I see just
the Compaq logo.

Thanks again

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Ben Myers <ben_myers_spam_me_not@charter.net> wrote:
> Agreed, check the jumpers on the drives and the type of IDE cable. Compaq has
> long used cable select type cables with one of the wire leads cut. You can see
> the cut if you hold the cable up to the light.
>
> The Compaq BIOS, like many other modern ones, has a built-in hard drive test in
> its Power On Self Test (POST) routine. The test can be disabled (turned off),
> but it serves as a good warning about the relative sanity of hard disk drives.
>
> Some questions. What is the age & vintage of the computer? What type of
> processor? Older computers have BIOS limitations in terms of recognizing and
> configuring for hard drive capacity. As a rule of thumb, a newer Pentium class
> computer usually is limited to 8.4GB, as are some early Pentium II computers.
> Many late Pentium II and Pentium III computers have a 32GB BIOS limit.
>
> ... Ben Myers

What do you mean by "newer Pentium class"? Even my old Presario K6-2/400
could handle at least 32MB drives, because it came with 10g and I added a
30g drive to it. And that 30g drive is currently running in an old 300
MHz Celeron (Compaq Deskpro) pppoe/firewall/router. I have a friends 5000
series 1.2 GHz Celeron that died (fans run, no POST or video with any
video card, but its original drive still works in another PC).

If the drive is fully formatted and the BIOS has a 32g limit, the BIOS may
think that is an error. Although, I would think it could be
repartitioned/formatted to use at least 32g. At one time I used a 540MB
drive on an old 386 that had no LBA (1024 cyls limited it to 528MB/504MB
depending upon how count). Not sure what affect it would have if the
drive was configured for UDMA66 on a 33 MHz controller.

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 05:38:17 +0000 (UTC), efflandt@xnet.com (David Efflandt)
> wrote:
>
>>On 20 Sep 2004 07:47:35 -0700, Tomas <tomasttse@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> When I tried to add a spare Maxtor HDD that I have laying around, I
>>> got the message "1720 - Hard Drive detects imminent failure" during
>>> bootup.
>>>
>>> I tred to confirm the problem with Maxtor's diagnostic software,
>>> Powermax, and it did not find any problems. I also tried switching
>>> from primary IDE to secondary and back, and changing jumper setting.
>>> But same problem.
>>>
>>> Anyone know what it could be? I don't want 40G of storage go to
>>> waste.
>>
>>I got that useful error on a Presario (old K6-2/400) the boot before the
>>boot its 10g Win98 boot drive failed. The drive had been making clicking
>>noises for some time (weeks or months). But it was primarily running
>>Linux from a different drive, so no loss. I originally purchased that PC
>>for $100 which included a free year of MSN (out of the box return). It
>>would not initially boot until all drives (CD and LS-120) except hard
>>driver were unplugged, because they were incorrectly jumpered cable
>>select.
>>
>>Are the drives jumpered master and slave, or cable select? The original
>>drive cable was likely cable select (because I used the cable from a 5000
>>that died to transfer data to a new PC). But what cable type or jumper
>>setting did you use for CD or DVD? Maybe a drive on the secondary IDE
>>channel is not connected or jumpered properly.

David,

There is no firm dividing line between BIOSes with 8.4GB and with 32GB limits.
"As a rule of thumb" means what it says. It is a generalization for which there
are exceptions. If I had instead generalized based upon a time line rather
than processor type, there would still be exceptions.

A system designed to use an AMD K6/2 @ 400MHz is new enough that its BIOS got
tweaked to handle newer larger drives up to 32GB, even tho it is a Socket 7
Pentium-class computer. By contrast, I've had the misfortune of dealing with
similar vintage DEC branded machines with a fairly crippled BIOS capable of
handling only 8.0GB. Not even 8.4GB like the rest of the world at the time.
Yes, 8.0GB, by manually entering in BIOS different BIOS parameters for an 8.4GB
drive.

A Celeron falls into the Pentium II class of computer, so it is more than likely
to support 32GB. On the other hand, early (just about the first) Pentium II
Intel 440FX Natoma chipset motherboards had a built-in BIOS limit of 8.4GB.

Bottom line is that there are only two ways to find out BIOS limits for certain.
First one is to refer to manufacturer's documentation. This is futile for
Compaq computers, as well as HP, eMachines, and a whole host of other name
brands and plain old motherboards. Second way is to try using a drive of a
given capacity. Still, a rule of thumb can often save one from wasting ones
time trying futile combinations of hardware... Ben Myers

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:41:06 +0000 (UTC), efflandt@xnet.com (David Efflandt)
wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Ben Myers <ben_myers_spam_me_not@charter.net> wrote:
>> Agreed, check the jumpers on the drives and the type of IDE cable. Compaq has
>> long used cable select type cables with one of the wire leads cut. You can see
>> the cut if you hold the cable up to the light.
>>
>> The Compaq BIOS, like many other modern ones, has a built-in hard drive test in
>> its Power On Self Test (POST) routine. The test can be disabled (turned off),
>> but it serves as a good warning about the relative sanity of hard disk drives.
>>
>> Some questions. What is the age & vintage of the computer? What type of
>> processor? Older computers have BIOS limitations in terms of recognizing and
>> configuring for hard drive capacity. As a rule of thumb, a newer Pentium class
>> computer usually is limited to 8.4GB, as are some early Pentium II computers.
>> Many late Pentium II and Pentium III computers have a 32GB BIOS limit.
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>
>What do you mean by "newer Pentium class"? Even my old Presario K6-2/400
>could handle at least 32MB drives, because it came with 10g and I added a
>30g drive to it. And that 30g drive is currently running in an old 300
>MHz Celeron (Compaq Deskpro) pppoe/firewall/router. I have a friends 5000
>series 1.2 GHz Celeron that died (fans run, no POST or video with any
>video card, but its original drive still works in another PC).
>
>If the drive is fully formatted and the BIOS has a 32g limit, the BIOS may
>think that is an error. Although, I would think it could be
>repartitioned/formatted to use at least 32g. At one time I used a 540MB
>drive on an old 386 that had no LBA (1024 cyls limited it to 528MB/504MB
>depending upon how count). Not sure what affect it would have if the
>drive was configured for UDMA66 on a 33 MHz controller.
>
>> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 05:38:17 +0000 (UTC), efflandt@xnet.com (David Efflandt)
>> wrote:

>>>I got that useful error on a Presario (old K6-2/400) the boot before the
>>>boot its 10g Win98 boot drive failed. The drive had been making clicking
>>>noises for some time (weeks or months). But it was primarily running
>>>Linux from a different drive, so no loss. I originally purchased that PC
>>>for $100 which included a free year of MSN (out of the box return). It
>>>would not initially boot until all drives (CD and LS-120) except hard
>>>driver were unplugged, because they were incorrectly jumpered cable
>>>select.
>>>
>>>Are the drives jumpered master and slave, or cable select? The original
>>>drive cable was likely cable select (because I used the cable from a 5000
>>>that died to transfer data to a new PC). But what cable type or jumper
>>>setting did you use for CD or DVD? Maybe a drive on the secondary IDE
>>>channel is not connected or jumpered properly.

Entering the setup for many Compaqs is accomplished by hitting the F10 key while
the computer is counting its memory and doing the other basic diagnostic tests
which are part of the initial Power On Self Test (POST). The BIOS setup should
offer you the option to view the steps in the POST. Look for an option entitled
"Silent BIOS" or similar... Ben Myers