Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New Computer

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 14, 2012 7:00:20 AM

Hello, I just built a brand new computer with the following specs: I have a AMD Athlon tri-core 3.3Ghz processor, an ASUS M5A97 motherboard, an HD 6770 video card (PCI-E ASUS), RX-530SS ATX power supply, a 320GB Caviar Green SATA 6GB/s Hard drive, and 8Gb of RAM at 1333Mhz. Now to me these specs sound like this computer should be able to run games at least a little smoothly, but recently I bought Rome Total War and its being a bit laggy. No problems with game play really, but just scrolling on the main map takes an excruciatingly long time. I was wondering if there are some settings I haven't optimized or if I need to change anything in my UFEBIOS, all my drivers are up to date so I'm not sure whats up. Something that may be related is that I can't get the wifi to work, be it a PCI-E card or a usb 2.0 adapter, regardless it finds the signal and connects me for a while, but then says "no network access." Probably unrelated, thanks for any help!

More about : computer

April 14, 2012 11:22:04 AM

use fraps to check your fps... if there reasonable (ie over 30) then look at the mouse... if its a 400dpi, 125poll rate mouse your gonna struggle scrolling round the screen. if this is the case go into windows own mouse handler and move the mouse speed slider slightly towards the right. till the mouse speeds up but not so much that you cant accurately use it... also make sure smoothing/enhanced precision/acceleration is off...

things to check.
make sure you have the latest motherboard drivers. including audio, cpu support if needed/ ethernet and so on.
get the latest gfx drivers...
make sure the ram is running at the voltages labled on the ram and not just the stock voltages that asus use... if its decent ram its likely to need a .2v - .4v boost over stock 1.8v to get it running propperly...

if it is just the mouse dpi and poll rate then invest in a gaming mouse with at least 1600 dpi and a 500ms poll rate but if you can get better then do so...
m
0
l
April 14, 2012 1:37:07 PM

if it takes less resources then yeah use that...
m
0
l
Related resources
April 14, 2012 2:16:56 PM

You have a slow HDD. The green series are not meant as primary drives they spin slower.
m
0
l
April 14, 2012 8:29:31 PM

I believe in the game optinos you can adjust how fast the camera movement speed is. If you move it to the right it will speed up how fast you scroll across the campain map. I know this because I have the game.

If you are getting laggy, is it in the battle screen? If it is two things could be your temps are high or to much info being sent to GPU and CPU. In other words army is to big and to many things going on at one time.

I had both problems with a i3 and a gts 450. I ended up burning that GPU up not from this game but trying to OC it. But I would get a lot of lag due to high temps and to much stuff going on. Good luck to you.
m
0
l
April 14, 2012 10:54:43 PM

DM186 said:
I believe in the game optinos you can adjust how fast the camera movement speed is. If you move it to the right it will speed up how fast you scroll across the campain map. I know this because I have the game.

If you are getting laggy, is it in the battle screen? If it is two things could be your temps are high or to much info being sent to GPU and CPU. In other words army is to big and to many things going on at one time.

I had both problems with a i3 and a gts 450. I ended up burning that GPU up not from this game but trying to OC it. But I would get a lot of lag due to high temps and to much stuff going on. Good luck to you.


No its not the temperatures, even when running the game my card doesn't get hotter than 33C, maybe 34. Could this be the problem in itself? I mean, shouldn't it be heating up a little more? It has the stock fan on it, and I have 4 case fans built in running on the lowest speed, two intake and 2 out. The battle screen isn't laggy at all, its only when i scroll around the main map, so i think it may be the mouse. Any thoughts? And I've fought battles with complete packed armies, no problem
m
0
l
April 14, 2012 10:56:43 PM

wr6133 said:
You have a slow HDD. The green series are not meant as primary drives they spin slower.


I don't think it's the hard drive, it may be a green but that doesn't mean it spins at a very slow revolution, plus its on a SATA 6GB/s transfer rate with my board, so I think that corrects for the slightly slower speed (if there is any) right?
m
0
l
April 14, 2012 11:05:02 PM

HEXiT said:
use fraps to check your fps... if there reasonable (ie over 30) then look at the mouse... if its a 400dpi, 125poll rate mouse your gonna struggle scrolling round the screen. if this is the case go into windows own mouse handler and move the mouse speed slider slightly towards the right. till the mouse speeds up but not so much that you cant accurately use it... also make sure smoothing/enhanced precision/acceleration is off...

things to check.
make sure you have the latest motherboard drivers. including audio, cpu support if needed/ ethernet and so on.
get the latest gfx drivers...
make sure the ram is running at the voltages labled on the ram and not just the stock voltages that asus use... if its decent ram its likely to need a .2v - .4v boost over stock 1.8v to get it running propperly...

if it is just the mouse dpi and poll rate then invest in a gaming mouse with at least 1600 dpi and a 500ms poll rate but if you can get better then do so...


So I did my fps thing, when the game is loading different options it gets about 10 or less, but once on the main map I get 60. The second I start scrolling however, I get about 5 until i stop scrolling then back up to 60. The battle screen is at 60 and no less than 50 ever, even with two full armies completely mobilized and fighting. What does this indicate? also how do i check my mouse specs? Thanks!
m
0
l
April 15, 2012 12:08:00 AM

From your responce I would do what HEXit said about the mouse and try to make it move a little faster. Since nothing else is working
m
0
l
April 15, 2012 12:18:58 AM

Okay, I have a wireless mouse from Logitech connecting through a usb unifying receiver. My keyboard is also hooked up using the same wireless receiver, how would i go about increasing the speed?
m
0
l
April 15, 2012 11:46:29 PM

If you have windows 7 then this is what you do, on your desktop screen right click anywhere.
Then left click on personalize.
Once the screen pops up then up in the left corner left click on change mouse pointers.
Then it will bring up a box for selctions then you want to left click on pointer opitions.
There you will see the slider for your speed.
Then adjust it a little at a time.
m
0
l
April 16, 2012 1:17:52 AM

DM186 said:
If you have windows 7 then this is what you do, on your desktop screen right click anywhere.
Then left click on personalize.
Once the screen pops up then up in the left corner left click on change mouse pointers.
Then it will bring up a box for selctions then you want to left click on pointer opitions.
There you will see the slider for your speed.
Then adjust it a little at a time.


I turned the speed all the way up (which doesn't really seem all that fast too me) and tried the game again, if anything it decreases the lag slightly but it is still lagging as I scroll across the map. Does this mean it is or is not the mouse? I have a Logitech M510, a pretty cheap mouse I picked up for my laptop but then transferred to my pc. If it is the mouse can you recommend to me a pretty cheap one that'll get the job done? preferably less than 50 dollars, the cheaper the better :) 
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 1:11:56 AM

hassan95 said:
I turned the speed all the way up (which doesn't really seem all that fast too me) and tried the game again, if anything it decreases the lag slightly but it is still lagging as I scroll across the map. Does this mean it is or is not the mouse? I have a Logitech M510, a pretty cheap mouse I picked up for my laptop but then transferred to my pc. If it is the mouse can you recommend to me a pretty cheap one that'll get the job done? preferably less than 50 dollars, the cheaper the better :) 


Why don't you just try a normal USB mouse. I have a wireless mouse I bought it in 2008 I spent $79.00 on it and I don't have a problem but that is not your mouse. In the game under there options.

Then in graphics there should be a place where you can adjust how fast your camera moves across the map. In all my games I get that option in cluding Rome total war.

After I went back in to read all that has been said. Either your game is the problem or it is the way you have your mouse and keyboard set up. My wireless mouse. The part that connects to the PC.

plugs right in the back to a usb prot and it does not share with any other devise. I have another qestion. Is this the only game that has that problem? If it is then it is probably the game.

Have you tried to reinstall it? I can't remember if I added it to Steam or you have to down load it from Steam, I just don't remember. How ever when I go to play a game that is connected to Steam it is in my library.

Now that other problem you have to do with wifi could also be the same problem that is causing your mouse not to fuction rght. I will look around and see if I can dig up anything on it.
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 1:40:42 AM

DM186 said:
Why don't you just try a normal USB mouse. I have a wireless mouse I bought it in 2008 I spent $79.00 on it and I don't have a problem but that is not your mouse. In the game under there options.

Then in graphics there should be a place where you can adjust how fast your camera moves across the map. In all my games I get that option in cluding Rome total war.

After I went back in to read all that has been said. Either your game is the problem or it is the way you have your mouse and keyboard set up. My wireless mouse. The part that connects to the PC.

plugs right in the back to a usb prot and it does not share with any other devise. I have another qestion. Is this the only game that has that problem? If it is then it is probably the game.

Have you tried to reinstall it? I can't remember if I added it to Steam or you have to down load it from Steam, I just don't remember. How ever when I go to play a game that is connected to Steam it is in my library.

Now that other problem you have to do with wifi could also be the same problem that is causing your mouse not to fuction rght. I will look around and see if I can dig up anything on it.


Thanks for all your help, I have the standard options available in Rome under graphics, and I also have a program that came with my video card called ASUS OSD or OCD, but I think it's more for 3D gaming. So far I only have this game installed, but I just bought medieval 2 and will install it either late this week or early next week. My USB also plugs into the back of my computer, and I don't use my keyboard while I play Rome so I don't think it's the problem. Now earlier I mentioned that my video card was only running at about 33C, basically room temperature. Is it maybe that the card isn't fully unlocked or something? My processor also has another core, and my motherboard has an option in the BIOS to unlock it just by flipping a switch, but I don't want to destabilize my system. Is there software or something I can use to make sure my system is still stable after I unlock this core? Thanks

P.s I fixed the wifi problem, and got it working with a USB adapter. I'm waiting for my PCI-e card to arrive and hopefully that will work too.
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 2:08:36 AM

I am going to link you to a few programs that will help you monitor your system. I use them all the time and they work fine. So here they are. You will be able to OC your GPU if you want.

You will be able to watch your temps, fps, and watch the usage of your GPU. Also you can bench test your rig and see how well it is working. You will be able to monitor your CPU temps and core temps.

You will be able to run a memory test to check your RAM. Maybe you already have this stuff or not in any case it is there to help you if you need it. I hope this helps you.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/images/Afterburner...

http://www.ozone3d.net/msi_kombustor/

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

http://www.memtest.org/
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 4:10:25 AM

DM186 said:
I am going to link you to a few programs that will help you monitor your system. I use them all the time and they work fine. So here they are. You will be able to OC your GPU if you want.

You will be able to watch your temps, fps, and watch the usage of your GPU. Also you can bench test your rig and see how well it is working. You will be able to monitor your CPU temps and core temps.

You will be able to run a memory test to check your RAM. Maybe you already have this stuff or not in any case it is there to help you if you need it. I hope this helps you.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/images/Afterburner...

http://www.ozone3d.net/msi_kombustor/

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

http://www.memtest.org/


I downloaded MSI and the techpowerup one, now I just unlock my core right? What are good benchmark settings for my video card? the model is up at the very top. What % of the gpu should I be using, and how much can I increase the memory and core clock values?
thanks!
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 10:44:00 AM

you dont want to be overclocking your parts till you know exactly what your doing. please read up some overclocking guides b4 you touch any sliders and make sure you know which sliders your moving. ie get to know msi afterbuner b4 you click apply and blow something up ;) 
m
0
l

Best solution

April 17, 2012 7:06:28 PM

^+1
you need to be caution when OC'ing so I will link you to some info on it. This info should help you but make sure you read up on all the stuff. As HEXiT has stated be very carefull when OC'ing your GPU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/340669-33-omgitzfatal...

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/browse.php?c=18

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103
Share
April 24, 2012 12:42:34 AM

So I got Medieval 2, installed it, everything works perfectly, must just have been something wrong with the rome game because in my understanding, medieval 2 is more graphics intensive etc. However, I have noted that after about 2 hours the game starts lagging just the slightest bit, and only when I have a full army attacking or something. Any ideas?
m
0
l
April 24, 2012 2:14:45 AM

After 2 hours of gaming and it starts to lag with a full army then It would be either a temps is just about to high or something is starting to throttle down. So watch your temps real close.
m
0
l
May 1, 2012 12:17:31 AM

Best answer selected by hassan95.
m
0
l
!