OCZ CNC machined copper spacer

G

Has anyone used one of these machined spacers on a tbird? I'm considering getting one. I'm currently running a 1.1 @ 1.85v w/an ocz monster2 + their thermal paste. Overclocked it to 1333 (10x133.) At idle I'm around 48C, under heavy load I'll see 53C and no higher.

Would this chunk of copper really drop my temps by a few degrees or is it not worth the $10?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I am having trouble with terminology. At first, shims, spacers and cold plates sound like the same thing to me.

After reading a little it seems Athlon spacers have cutouts for the core and the little bits, bridges and resistors, which sit on the the ceramic package. Looking at these I am not convinced that they could improv cooling. The reason I believe this is that the spacer will just kind of float between the heatsink and the ceramic package or the space will fit snugly and in doing so reduce the contact pressure between the heatsink and the acutal core. Neither of these sound effective to me.

As for a shim or a cold plate, I interepret this to mean something I can place directly against the actual core. Just a piece of metal (like copper) that might help with heat transfer.

Anyway I bought a "cold plate" from OCZ to wedge between my Duron and my OCZ Monster II cooler. Unfortunately at about 1/8 inch thickness it is too thick to be accomodated by one side of heat sink clamp. If I installed the plate the Duron would definitely be crushed. So the cold plate just sits here with all my other odds and ends that never get used.

I know I didn't answer your question. I just wanted to make these comments.

gregorarch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Using a shim will probably reduce the temperature AS MEASURED BY THE SOCKET THERMISTOR by a few degrees, because it improves heat transfer from the CPU package to the heatsink.

HOWEVER, whether that will translate to a reduced CORE temperature is an entirely different matter. There is a strong possibility that CPU core temps will actually INCREASE, as you are dumping more heat into the heatsink.

I'd say you should spend your $10 on some Arctic Silver paste - at least you KNOW that'll do some good.

G

First of all, the spacer isn't needed and AMD recommeds not using one. Second of all, most reliable testing has shown very little to no cooling performance gain. And lastly, people have had trouble finding good quality, smooth, flat spacers that are just the right width (if it is too wide your heatsink won't touch your CPU, too thin and it's not worth putting there). There are just too many variables to go wrong with and most people (and most experienced overclockers) don't use them. You would be fine without it but if you do decide to use one, be careful.