slippast

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
I just setup my TB 850 on asus A7V133a no O/C yet. I have a cheap little Chrome Orb HS/Fan stuck to the CPU. For some reason, lord knows why, the thing is running at 59-61 C all the time! I have a new Taisol HSF on the way but I'm worried that the CPU might be prone to run hot.

I took the Orb off and polished the surface, I used Heatsink thermal grease (Radio Shack special) and that brought the load temp clear down to 60C. I thought of trying KY gelly but that only works on my wife. I'm hoping the new heatsink will cool it down, I KNOW it shouldn't run that hot! 60c is in the operating spec but from what I've read that's way too high for comfort.

Does anyone see this on their CPU? Cooling advice? Thanks.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I used to get 55C (load) on a T-850, FOP38, Asus A7v133. That's with the side panels off and a house fan blowing on the motherboard. I get rather different (lower) readings using an external sensor mounted between the heatsink and cpu. Which bothers me because I can't clamp the heatsink down very hard, and the cpu temps I get are around 10C lower than the 'Asus probe' readings. The only thing I can come up with is the cpu probe is making contact with one of the copper pins off the cpu die, underneath the socket. I looked around for the thermistor, but no-joy.
Anyway, i'm not sure if the chrome orb is doing that outstanding of a job. You might look around the local parts store for a copper plate that's less than 1/8 inch thick. Slap that little jewel on the bottom of the heatsink and possibly even use a little arctic silver. You can find a tube of AS2 for around $9.
You might pull off the side panels, and put a good size house fan blowing on the motherboard. If your cpu/mb temps drop more than 1C, you're looking at a case cooling issue as well. Peltiers are another option, which are slighly less power tool intensive than watercoolers.....

I think the 'max. temp' for the t-bird is around 84C, but it's been a while since i've seen any tables for the processors.

Where does it ever end?
Where have all the Flux-Capacitors gone?

slippast

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
ejsmith: Thanks for the info. Good to know there's someone else seeing similar traits on their Asus board. It seems like reading about all these folks who fry their TB is all to common. No wonder the motherboard makers put stickers all over the place warning of it. I'm waiting on that new HFS. Maybe I should've gotten that 750 Duron eh? Hmmmmm.....

G

You living in Oz, if so don't worry about your temp. I'm getting 58C idle on a hot day and 47C on a cool day.

<b><font color=red>Facts speek for themselfs</b></font color=red>

RocKo

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/techdocs/pdf/23792.pdf" target="_new">Here</A>'s a Acrobat reader file for the Althon.

"I left a track of posts, and lost track of time..." <font color=red><b>-RocKo</b></font color=red> :cool:

G

same thing for me, i use 1G + A7V133 + super orb and my CPU is running at 60C. I already put 2 more fans inside the case but it doesn't help much. But my comp runs flawlessly so i don't bother about that anymore.

G

I also have an Asus A7V133a, but with Athlon 800, and experience ~59 C temps. I've looked through previous posts & found info relating to incorrect readings from the software... generally 10 C higher than the hardware monitor in BIOS. Exit the OS rapidly & go directly into the BIOS to view the CPU temp there. It should be approx. 10 C lower. This, from what I gather, is more accurate.

Eagles may soar, but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

G

Nicodemus is correct. Don't believe Asus Probe. The Asus bios will show a temp 9C to 11C cooler, as will other monitoring apps such as Motherboard Monitor.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I'm not sure here, but the 'Asus Probe' seems to add close to 10C to the actual thermistor reading. This makes sense if the program is trying to give an accurate reading of the actual transistor/semiconductor core of the processor, which is inside the ceramic shell. But a 10C difference? Ceramic is a really poor conductor, but not quite that poor. Even if the shell was 2mm thick, 6C (or 4C) would be a little closer to the actual.