Duron 700mhz Question

G

Although I have read lots of posts here I am still unsure about the overclocking so I hope someone can help as I cant afford to buy another CPU
I have a Duron 700mhz on a ECS K7VZA Mobo capable of PC133 CPU 1.5
Heatsink is 1.5inch tall
Memory 196 PC100
I have connected the L1 bridges to overclock to 770mhz
The PCI/Cpu Clk is at 110/37mhz
CPU Temp is 35c/95F
Fan Speed 7620
I want to go up to 900mhz which I have read is possible
My mobo wont allow me to change the vcore so do I have to connect the L7 bridges only to put it up to 1.8v or do I need to change the others to make it a 900mhz as well according to the diagram on this site
Is the cooling enough(Two fans in the ATX case) and is the vcore going to be too high at 1.8v
What should the CPU/PCI clk be? Should it stay the same 110 or can it go higher?
Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Theres never enough money to feed the poor but there is always enough to fight a war - HomerJSimpson

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I dont know if your mobo supports cpu multiplier changes but that is what I would do set the fsb to 100 and cpu mult. to 9x because you have pc100 memory that may not be able to handle the 128 fsb to get to 900 (roughly) at 7x mult. Hope that this helps.

SANDMAN

G

The FSB is already set to PC100.
So do I just change the L7 bridges for the voltage up to 1.8v on the CPU or do I have to change the other bridges as well
The mobo doesn't have jumpers for the multiplier.
The only settings are the FSB and CPU/PCI Clk in the BIOS which are set at PC100 and 110/37mhz

Theres never enough money to feed the poor but there is always enough to fight a war - HomerJSimpson

G

Can anyone shed anymore light on this please

G

read toms how to on athlon overclocking, it will teach you everything you need to know.

G

Ok I have read the articles fully on overclocking the Duron
I have now pushed the vcore up to 1.80v by altering the L7 bridges but because my motherboard has no way of altering the multiplier or even the BIOS setting cant change it I now need to alter the other bridges.
I can connect the bridges ok but I need to break one bridge so does anyone have a good and clean way of breaking the bridges successfully
Thanks

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Sorry, you can't make 900. You might (BIG might) be able to make 750. You can't change the multiplier. You have PC100 memory. That's bad. You could probably push up the FSB to 110 if you are lucky. Sorry. Recommendations:
1. Buy better memory, @ PC133. Trash the old stuff.
2. Buy a new mobo. Try the Iwill KK266. It's a good price, and is a great board for OC.
Good luck.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I also have a 700 Duron, and my mobo doesn't allow multiplier adjusments either. So, I'm stuck at 750 (7x107). There are ways to cut the briges, but it is really hard. I tried going at it with a utility knife, but because there is a ceramic piece between the bridges, that doesn't work. Once person suggested taking it to a jewelry cutter and having them using a special diamond cutter to do it. That's excessive. I'd rather just spend another $100-$200 on a new processer and run it at specs.

BUT, I recently read an article at TweakTown.com about Socket A Overclocking DEVICES!!!! It's something that plugs into the Socket A slot, then the chip plugs into it, but it is made so you can change the multiplier to whatever you want. But, they didn't say if they can be bought yet or what. So, until those come out we're pretty much stuck to either cutting the bridges and reattaching, which may be dangerous, or having to deal with mediocre FSB increases.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

G

ksoth thanks for the reply
As for the post above yours DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT U ARE TALKING ABOUT!
I have reached 787mhz just by unlocking the processor and a few small tweaks in the BIOS!
People that say you need to buy a new mobo and new memory etc really get on my tits
Do you think we are all made of money or what?
The mobo I have is brand new so there is no way that I am going to buy a new one
Wake up and smell the coffee man!!

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Heck no! But you can get 256 MB of Crucial Pc133 RAM with a Cas Latency of 2 for a hundred bucks, including shipping. I just installed that. And how'd you get 787? What's the FSB on that?. I was just saying that, quite simply, you will not be able to reach 900 with your current setup. 787 is not 900. Try to do your "few small tweaks" to get your CPU to 900. Won't happen. A new mobo costs 140, memory costs 100. If you get any of that, you will be able to hit 900 and perhaps beyond. Try to get 805 by 7*115. Not going to happen! I was just trying to help you. You do not have the right to overclock. It takes the proper tools. I was pointing out that you don't have the proper tools. And did you buy that mobo with the intention of oc? If you did, why the hell did you get that one, instead of the KT7A, KK266, or A7V133? If you didn't, don't try to oc too much. Your machinery simply isn't good enough to achieve that level of oc. Sorry I offended you by assuming you had the desire to explore the world of overclocking. Don't attack me, I only try to help.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.