HP 710C and Win XP

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I've had difficulties helping a friend set up her HP 710C on a Windows XP
box. (It worked on the previous Win XP box.)

She couldn't get the printer to install.

Then I helped her install it, following the instructions at the HP site
entitled "HP Deskjet Printers - Installing the Printer with the Driver
Included in Microsoft(R) Windows XP". This time, the installation
completed.

There are two problems, however:

(1) The printer prints junk (the kind where there's a communication
problem---pages of junk characters).
(2) The system keeps recognizing new hardware and asking if she wants to
install it.

Any suggestions?

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Do a complete uninstall and reinstall as per:

It's telling you the printer did not install correctly.
www.coribright.com

"Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> Do a complete uninstall and reinstall as per:
> http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20One.htm

Thanks; I'll try that.

Aside: note that for this particular printer there is no separate driver
for XP (which is assumed in the link you posted); there's only the driver
supplied with XP.

> It's telling you the printer did not install correctly.
> www.coribright.com
>
> "sinister" <sinister@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> > I've had difficulties helping a friend set up her HP 710C on a Windows
XP
> > box. (It worked on the previous Win XP box.)
> >
> > She couldn't get the printer to install.
> >
> > Then I helped her install it, following the instructions at the HP site
> > entitled "HP Deskjet Printers - Installing the Printer with the Driver
> > Included in Microsoft(R) Windows XP". This time, the installation
> > completed.
> >
> > There are two problems, however:
> >
> > (1) The printer prints junk (the kind where there's a communication
> > problem---pages of junk characters).
> > (2) The system keeps recognizing new hardware and asking if she wants to
> > install it.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

You can try Windows2000 drivers if they have them at the HP website. They
also usually work.
--
Cari

In article <Obol4W4NEHA.3052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, Newsgroups1
@coribright.com says...
> You can try Windows2000 drivers if they have them at the HP website. They
> also usually work.

There are no Win2K drivers either. The 7xx series were discontinued
before Win2K or XP came out. Worse, the 7xx series are host-based and use
a completely different command set than other HP printers, so you can't
substitute a newer printer's driver.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross