HP 710C and Win XP

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I've had difficulties helping a friend set up her HP 710C on a Windows XP
box. (It worked on the previous Win XP box.)

She couldn't get the printer to install.

Then I helped her install it, following the instructions at the HP site
entitled "HP Deskjet Printers - Installing the Printer with the Driver
Included in Microsoft(R) Windows XP". This time, the installation
completed.

There are two problems, however:

(1) The printer prints junk (the kind where there's a communication
problem---pages of junk characters).
(2) The system keeps recognizing new hardware and asking if she wants to
install it.

Any suggestions?
4 answers Last reply
More about 710c
  1. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Do a complete uninstall and reinstall as per:

    It's telling you the printer did not install correctly.
    www.coribright.com

    "sinister" <sinister@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    > I've had difficulties helping a friend set up her HP 710C on a Windows XP
    > box. (It worked on the previous Win XP box.)
    >
    > She couldn't get the printer to install.
    >
    > Then I helped her install it, following the instructions at the HP site
    > entitled "HP Deskjet Printers - Installing the Printer with the Driver
    > Included in Microsoft(R) Windows XP". This time, the installation
    > completed.
    >
    > There are two problems, however:
    >
    > (1) The printer prints junk (the kind where there's a communication
    > problem---pages of junk characters).
    > (2) The system keeps recognizing new hardware and asking if she wants to
    > install it.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

  2. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > Do a complete uninstall and reinstall as per:
    > http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20One.htm

    Thanks; I'll try that.

    Aside: note that for this particular printer there is no separate driver
    for XP (which is assumed in the link you posted); there's only the driver
    supplied with XP.

    > It's telling you the printer did not install correctly.
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "sinister" <sinister@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    > > I've had difficulties helping a friend set up her HP 710C on a Windows
    XP
    > > box. (It worked on the previous Win XP box.)
    > >
    > > She couldn't get the printer to install.
    > >
    > > Then I helped her install it, following the instructions at the HP site
    > > entitled "HP Deskjet Printers - Installing the Printer with the Driver
    > > Included in Microsoft(R) Windows XP". This time, the installation
    > > completed.
    > >
    > > There are two problems, however:
    > >
    > > (1) The printer prints junk (the kind where there's a communication
    > > problem---pages of junk characters).
    > > (2) The system keeps recognizing new hardware and asking if she wants to
    > > install it.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?

  3. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    You can try Windows2000 drivers if they have them at the HP website. They
    also usually work.
    --
    Cari

    > "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    >> Do a complete uninstall and reinstall as per:
    >> http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20One.htm
    >
    > Thanks; I'll try that.
    >
    > Aside: note that for this particular printer there is no separate driver
    > for XP (which is assumed in the link you posted); there's only the driver
    > supplied with XP.
    >

    >> It's telling you the printer did not install correctly.
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    >> www.coribright.com
    >>
    >> "sinister" <sinister@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    >> > I've had difficulties helping a friend set up her HP 710C on a Windows
    > XP
    >> > box. (It worked on the previous Win XP box.)
    >> >
    >> > She couldn't get the printer to install.
    >> >
    >> > Then I helped her install it, following the instructions at the HP site
    >> > entitled "HP Deskjet Printers - Installing the Printer with the Driver
    >> > Included in Microsoft(R) Windows XP". This time, the installation
    >> > completed.
    >> >
    >> > There are two problems, however:
    >> >
    >> > (1) The printer prints junk (the kind where there's a communication
    >> > problem---pages of junk characters).
    >> > (2) The system keeps recognizing new hardware and asking if she wants
    >> > install it.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions?

  4. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    In article <Obol4W4NEHA.3052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, Newsgroups1
    @coribright.com says...
    > You can try Windows2000 drivers if they have them at the HP website. They
    > also usually work.

    There are no Win2K drivers either. The 7xx series were discontinued
    before Win2K or XP came out. Worse, the 7xx series are host-based and use
    a completely different command set than other HP printers, so you can't
    substitute a newer printer's driver.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

Printers Hewlett Packard Windows XP