92mm fan on a heatsink is this overkill

G

I was tinking of linking a 92mm 51 cfm fan to my heatsink that will blow 2x the air but will it work at cooling better or just be overkill?

G

most likely help. every heatsink has a limit to the rate it can transfer heat to air. If you switch a fan and greatly increase the air flow, more air will be hitting the sink, which will take away more heat (up to that limit). There's plenty of reviews that show the difference between using a 3000rpm fan and a 7000rpm fan. I'd say you won't get lower than the upper 20's (Celsius) with any high-surface area HS/fan though. Make some kind of shroud out of sheet metal or something so that the air is concentrated on the sink. Make sure your mobo doesn't need a fan plugged into the fan header as well. Keep in mind that you can only expect a few degrees of difference in whatever you currently have...

<font color=red>=P

G

Like HARM said, create a shroud around the fan to the heatsink so that all the air being blown gets concentrated on the heatsink. Also, do NOT plug a 92mm fan into your motherboard header. This will most likely short yur motherboard and/or cause other big problems like power fluctuations.

G

It makes sense!

I tried a 120mm fan on my silverado, and temps fell an amazing 6C.
I now use a 92 mm which is both more silent and more 2C cooler than the original twin fans. And thats a Silverado!

---
Engage!