Silvirado Problems

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
One problem I see with the Silvirado is that it has pure silver on the bottom. Silver is a somewhat reactive metal and in it's pure state will tarnish when exposed to air. Also it may react at least in part, to the chip itself. I would be interested to hear if it is really pure silver or maybe a sterling silver- which wouldn't oxidise. Otherwise you may end up having to take the heat sink off every month or so to clean it.

ILLEGALISE BULLETS

G

Personally I doubt this is a problem. Many of the the thermal pastes that people use are metallic oxides and they are still preferred for their thermal conductive properties. The real question in that vein is whether the oxidation causes a significant change in the heat conducting properties. Copper also oxidizes (seen a year old penny lately?) and no one seems to be overly concerned about its oxidation when used as a heat sink.

Another thing to consider is that, if you are using a thermal paste, wouldn't this form an oxygen barrier and inhibit oxidation?

Just some thoughts, but I'm not convinced that this is a serious flaw for the Silverado.

dryfly

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2001
I would be more concerned with the fact that you have two dissimilar metals in contact with each other. In this case it is silver and aluminum (the heat sink). {Or some HSF units have copper in contact with aluminum.}

I remember from my high school chem classes that two different metals in contact with each other causes and "electronic potential" to be set up and one of the metals will begin to corrode (or pitting begins). Has anyone else heard of this?

Dryfly

G

I do know what you are talking about with electric potential but I will give the benefit of the doubt to the manufacturers on this.

A few years ago many people were pointing out the difference in the metal contacts on memory SIMMS and some motherboards. Some SIMM contacts were tin while others were gold. Many people discussed electric potential and corrosion as concerns. It has been too long since I saw the discussion, but I vaguely remember a "knowledgeable" person saying that corrosion from tin and gold contacts would take around 10-12 years for it to become a possible problem. Anyone expect to have their current computer for 10 years? I know I certainly don't have any memory SIMMS anymore.

Anyway, my 2 cents on the matter.

A scientist will never show any kindness for a theory which he did not start himself. – Mark Twain

G

In ten years I'll take it to a jewelery shop and make a silver necklace for my mom... ;)

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
All good points. I had forgotten about the copper oxidising, though I know silver is much more prone. As for the stuff in the conductive paste- that's a different type of issue since it's a mixture of stuff and probly won't oxidize further. I too would like to know how it effects thermal transfer though- especially between the two diff types of metals. It cools well now, but after reacting for a few months at very warm temps will it cool as well? I never give the manufacturer the benifit of the doubt though. Thanks for the feedback all, I hope more answers will come out of this.

ILLEGALISE BULLETS

G

"I never give the manufacturer the benifit of the doubt though." - jg38141

LOL. Yeah I hear you. Like you said, more info is always welcome.

A scientist will never show any kindness for a theory which he did not start himself. – Mark Twain