Foxeye webcomic

So, what exactly are you putting on your website nowadays? My work has it
blocked due to "adult content"...

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 24 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 21 Craftsman

"Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> So, what exactly are you putting on your website nowadays? My work has it
> blocked due to "adult content"...

Foxeye!!

/blush

Scott

"Thomas Houseman"
<thomashousemanHADTOPUTTHISHERETOSTOPTHESWENVIRUS@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:37ck1sF5bbtkuU1@individual.net...
> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > So, what exactly are you putting on your website nowadays? My work has
it
> > blocked due to "adult content"...
> >
> Foxeye!!
>
> /blush

Did you not hear about the latest filters for adult content?

They scan the pictures for elven skin tones.

<grins>

--
Fingon, Eathan, Maelgwyn, of Resolute on Lucan D'Lere

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Graeme Faelban wrote:

> So, what exactly are you putting on your website nowadays? My work has it
> blocked due to "adult content"...

Well ain't that interesting...my mom was mentioning this the other day,
but she works at an elementary school, so it didn't bother me.

I do have one bit of text near a link that says "Contains Adult Themes"
(I'm linking to another comic) and I say that my comic is PG-13, and a few
of my pieces of artwork show tasteful skin, but...I haven't yet figured
out why various filtering programs are going spastic on me.

One person told me that my webpage triggered their AOL filters for these
words:

"Insane", "heck", "AD&D", "necro:re:necrophelia", "sinfully"...

Maybe your filters don't like the word "heck" either? *snicker*

But being serious, what filtering system is it? I'd love to get some sort
of understanding, because if there's a way to get around these filters,
that'd be nice. I can understand a parent not wanting their 5 year old to
see the drawings I have with battle scenes, but it seems a bit overboard.

You don't suppose someone put me on a blacklist because my comic has a
supposed child sacrifice, do you? My husband warned me that I might piss
folks off for that.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Jerelyn Foxeye -- http://www.foxeye-art.com

On Antonia Bayle (EQ):
[33 Iksar Templar] Viizanafyaeth Newleaf
[14 High Elf Brawler] Foxeye

Foxeye Vaeltaja <foxeye@EEKSPAM.com> wrote:
] You don't suppose someone put me on a blacklist because my comic has a
] supposed child sacrifice, do you? My husband warned me that I might piss
] folks off for that.

I've seen several mentions in various places, but no solid info,
that some religious right-wing groups in the US influence the
filtering programs used in libraries.

JimP.
--
http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
http://www.drivein-jim.net/ Feb 15, 2005: Drive-In movie theatres

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:27:03 GMT, Foxeye Vaeltaja <foxeye@EEKSPAM.com>
wrote:

>One person told me that my webpage triggered their AOL filters for these
>words:
>
>"Insane", "heck", "AD&D", "necro:re:necrophelia", "sinfully"...

AD&D?! Good god, what right-wing radical fundamentalist nutjobs wrote
that filter? They're still stuck on the "RPGs are tools of the devil
that lead kids to suicide, murder, and DEVIL WORSHIP!" bullshit or
something? If I were an AOL customer, I'd be writing to them to bitch
about that for sure. As well as the others. I can understand parenting
filters blocking full on swear words and sexual content, but these are
prudish in the extreme...

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <ujd711lov4gs1skln3v22048r8hc84v4c1@4ax.com>, jolly73
@boingcableone.net says...

> Foxeye Vaeltaja <foxeye@EEKSPAM.com> wrote:
> ] You don't suppose someone put me on a blacklist because my comic has a
> ] supposed child sacrifice, do you? My husband warned me that I might piss
> ] folks off for that.
>
> I've seen several mentions in various places, but no solid info,
> that some religious right-wing groups in the US influence the
> filtering programs used in libraries.

Of course they influence it. Who else really cares enough to try to
influence it?

42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
] Of course they influence it. Who else really cares enough to try to
] influence it?

I've met a few people over the years who weren't religious fanatics,
who felt that filtering was a good idea. One was/is an atheist. One
librarian told me last year she didn't like the idea of filtering,
but felt it was better than someone suing the library. Of course,
the stupid filtering software prevents anyone from looking at many
cancer sites.

JimP.
--

In article <p318119utj46khonnluu9l2v0l4uuclusp@4ax.com>, jolly73
@boingcableone.net says...

> 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
> ] Of course they influence it. Who else really cares enough to try to
> ] influence it?
>
> I've met a few people over the years who weren't religious fanatics,
> who felt that filtering was a good idea. One was/is an atheist. One
> librarian told me last year she didn't like the idea of filtering,
> but felt it was better than someone suing the library. Of course,
> the stupid filtering software prevents anyone from looking at many
> cancer sites.

I think we agree. I think, you missed my meaning.

Your acquaintaince, like many normal people, approve of the filtering in
libraries both in principle and even in practice but they don't see fit
to make it their mission to actually involve themselves. To subvert the
selection process of what exactly gets filtered to coincide with their
own narrow views that are not represented by the greater majorities.

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:56:59 -0800, Dark Tyger wrote:

> If I were an AOL customer

.... I'd slit my wrists while shooting myself in the head while it was in an
oven.....
--
RJB
2/17/2005 8:52:19 AM

"If there are any questions, direct them to that brick wall over there." --
Network President (South Park)

Dark Tyger wrote:

> >"Insane", "heck", "AD&D", "necro:re:necrophelia", "sinfully"...
>
> AD&D?! Good god, what right-wing radical fundamentalist nutjobs wrote
> that filter? They're still stuck on the "RPGs are tools of the devil
> that lead kids to suicide, murder, and DEVIL WORSHIP!" bullshit or
> something? If I were an AOL customer, I'd be writing to them to bitch
> about that for sure. As well as the others. I can understand parenting
> filters blocking full on swear words and sexual content, but these are
> prudish in the extreme...

You think that it more likely that "AD&D" set it off rather than the
word "necrophelia"? Itchy trigger finger much, Tex?

--
Annie

AGE EverQuest Live FAQ:
http://www.icynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm

Mirrored at:
http://webpages.charter.net/lenny13/age.faq.htm

http://www.derfy.net/agefaq.html

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:35:34 -0600, Annie Benson Lennaman
<teapray@real.people.only.yahoo.com> wrote:

>Dark Tyger wrote:
>
>> >"Insane", "heck", "AD&D", "necro:re:necrophelia", "sinfully"...
>>
>> AD&D?! Good god, what right-wing radical fundamentalist nutjobs wrote
>> that filter? They're still stuck on the "RPGs are tools of the devil
>> that lead kids to suicide, murder, and DEVIL WORSHIP!" bullshit or
>> something? If I were an AOL customer, I'd be writing to them to bitch
>> about that for sure. As well as the others. I can understand parenting
>> filters blocking full on swear words and sexual content, but these are
>> prudish in the extreme...
>
> You think that it more likely that "AD&D" set it off rather than the
>word "necrophelia"? Itchy trigger finger much, Tex?

The fact that AD&D was on their list of filtered words was what got
me. These weren't words that "might" be on the list, they're, from
what understood of the post, words that -ARE- on the list.
Necrophilia, I can understand. The rest are just plain stupid.

--

Foxeye Vaeltaja <foxeye@EEKSPAM.com> wrote in

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Graeme Faelban wrote:
>
>> So, what exactly are you putting on your website nowadays? My work
>> has it blocked due to "adult content"...
>
> But being serious, what filtering system is it? I'd love to get some
> sort of understanding, because if there's a way to get around these
> filters, that'd be nice. I can understand a parent not wanting their 5
> year old to see the drawings I have with battle scenes, but it seems a
> bit overboard.

Websense.

--

Annie Benson Lennaman <teapray@real.people.only.yahoo.com> wrote in

Well, given that Foxeye said:

>>> One person told me that my webpage triggered their AOL filters for
>>> these
>>> words:
>>>
>>> "Insane", "heck", "AD&D", "necro:re:necrophelia", "sinfully"...

The implication being it triggered on all of those words. Makes quite a
difference when you don't snip the sentence before the list of words.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 25 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 23 Provisioner

Dark Tyger wrote:

> The fact that AD&D was on their list of filtered words was what got
> me. These weren't words that "might" be on the list, they're, from
> what understood of the post, words that -ARE- on the list.
> Necrophilia, I can understand. The rest are just plain stupid.

Then I didn't read the original post well enough. I thought that
the words were a list of possible suspects that might have set it off.
In that case, yeah, we're in complete agreement. I was actually playing
D&D when fundie types started leaping to the conclusion that the
initials stood for Devils & Damnation. Good times.

--
Annie

AGE EverQuest Live FAQ:
http://www.icynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm

Mirrored at:
http://webpages.charter.net/lenny13/age.faq.htm

http://www.derfy.net/agefaq.html

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:45:43 -0600, Annie Benson Lennaman
<teapray@real.people.only.yahoo.com> wrote:

>Dark Tyger wrote:
>
>> The fact that AD&D was on their list of filtered words was what got
>> me. These weren't words that "might" be on the list, they're, from
>> what understood of the post, words that -ARE- on the list.
>> Necrophilia, I can understand. The rest are just plain stupid.
>
> Then I didn't read the original post well enough. I thought that
>the words were a list of possible suspects that might have set it off.
>In that case, yeah, we're in complete agreement. I was actually playing
>D&D when fundie types started leaping to the conclusion that the
>initials stood for Devils & Damnation. Good times.

I was really too young and living in the wrong part of the country
when all that started up to be playing. But I remember it somewhat. I
remember that old Tom Hanks movie about it, too. >< I wonder what ol'
Tom has to say about that movie now days?

I saw the Jack Chick tract "Dark Dungeons" for the first time a couple
years ago when Scott Kurtz did his PvP parody of it. Reading through
that thing, I swear I felt my brain trying to escape out my ear. I'm
just baffled that some people actually believe such drivel...

Anyway, hopefully AOL lets parents edit the red flag list on their
filter rather than forcing them to throw the baby out with the bath
water, so to speak.

--

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Dark Tyger wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:35:34 -0600, Annie Benson Lennaman
> <teapray@real.people.only.yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> AD&D?! Good god, what right-wing radical fundamentalist nutjobs wrote
> >> that filter? They're still stuck on the "RPGs are tools of the devil
> >> that lead kids to suicide, murder, and DEVIL WORSHIP!" bullshit or
> >> something? If I were an AOL customer, I'd be writing to them to bitch
> >> about that for sure. As well as the others. I can understand parenting
> >> filters blocking full on swear words and sexual content, but these are
> >> prudish in the extreme...
> >
> > You think that it more likely that "AD&D" set it off rather than the
> >word "necrophelia"? Itchy trigger finger much, Tex?
>
> The fact that AD&D was on their list of filtered words was what got
> me. These weren't words that "might" be on the list, they're, from
> what understood of the post, words that -ARE- on the list.
> Necrophilia, I can understand. The rest are just plain stupid.

to clarify, I don't have the word "necrophilia" on my web page. I have
"necromancer". Evidentaly their filter extracted the "necro" portion of
that and decided I was talking about necrophilia.

Jerelyn Foxeye -- http://www.foxeye-art.com

Retired:
On Antonia Bayle (EQ2)
[33 Iksar Templar] Viizanafyaeth Newleaf
[14 High Elf Brawler] Foxeye
On Xev (EQ)
[65 Half Elf Forest Stalker] Veteran Foxeye Vaeltaja