4l not working after reboot

Every time I reboot my computer (XP professional), it will not send print jobs to my Laserjet 4L. The "data" light flashes briefly, but nothing happens. To get the thing to work, I have to go into the 'device manager' and in the port settings tab for LPT1 change a setting (any setting!)--for example, from 'never use an interrupt' to 'try not to use an interrupt', or visa versa, and then it works fine. Until I have to reboot for some reason. Then I am back to square one.

I don't know enough about the port settings to know what they mean, but it doesn't seem to matter how they are set, as long as I change them after a reboot, the computer recognizes the 4L and sends print jobs to it.

Any idea why XP pro won't recognize the 4L permanently?
2 answers Last reply
More about working reboot

    Try changing the LPT port setting in the BIOS to EPP.
    www.coribright.com

    "mscottcriss" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Every time I reboot my computer (XP professional), it will not send print
    jobs to my Laserjet 4L. The "data" light flashes briefly, but nothing
    happens. To get the thing to work, I have to go into the 'device manager'
    and in the port settings tab for LPT1 change a setting (any setting!)--for
    example, from 'never use an interrupt' to 'try not to use an interrupt', or
    visa versa, and then it works fine. Until I have to reboot for some reason.
    Then I am back to square one.

    > I don't know enough about the port settings to know what they mean, but it
    doesn't seem to matter how they are set, as long as I change them after a
    reboot, the computer recognizes the 4L and sends print jobs to it.

    > Any idea why XP pro won't recognize the 4L permanently?

    And how do I do that?

    - msc
    ----- Cari (MS MVP) wrote: -----

    Try changing the LPT port setting in the BIOS to EPP.
    www.coribright.com

    "mscottcriss" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Every time I reboot my computer (XP professional), it will not send print
    jobs to my Laserjet 4L. The "data" light flashes briefly, but nothing
    happens. To get the thing to work, I have to go into the 'device manager'
    and in the port settings tab for LPT1 change a setting (any setting!)--for
    example, from 'never use an interrupt' to 'try not to use an interrupt', or
    visa versa, and then it works fine. Until I have to reboot for some reason.
    Then I am back to square one.
    >> I don't know enough about the port settings to know what they mean, but it
    doesn't seem to matter how they are set, as long as I change them after a
    reboot, the computer recognizes the 4L and sends print jobs to it.
    >> Any idea why XP pro won't recognize the 4L permanently?

Windows XP