KT7A dead; or T'Bird 1.2G fried?

G

[This post acts more as a heads-up now.]

... Aprox. 15 min. after I had installed the 4-in-1 drivers v. 2.6 drivers, I heard a 'click' (not from the monitor) and the system went into what appeared to be a 'power save' mode. However, a 'any keystroke' wouldn't revive the system, and so I reset the system. It came back up fine; but the same thing happened after approx. 1 min. uptime. A 2nd, and then 3rd, reset had the same results.

1. in all of these instances, the fans remained on which suggested that the CPU was fine;

2. the hard-drives also powered down, which also suggested that the system went into some sort of power saving mode.

However, on the fourth and fifth tries, the reset button refused to function, and the power-on button was first 'balky' and then also refused to function. The only way I could revive the system was through a hard boot (after 20 sec. wait). The effects were the same as described: the system was fine for perhaps less than a minute, and then died (but the fans remained on).

On the 6th try, nothing at all came on--I did wait the standard 20+ secs. before repowering the system.

Up to this time I have been working fine with a bare bones system running with the W98 VGA driver; the only other thing I did tonight was load and enable the driver for the Hercules GTS II Ultra card (running with 32bit colour).

[edit point]

Interesting enough, I was able to power-up into safe mode approx. 1 1/2 hours after the 'belly-up'. Mind you, as soon as the screen saver timer kicked-in the system died again. Obviously something seriously wrong with the 4-1 v. 2.6 drivers (the version on the stock driver CD-ROM).

This issue comes up regularly on other forums, particularly re. the KT7A. Something to beware of is that trying reset will cause the fans to falter for 2-4 sec., which probably is not too healthy for a T'Bird.

Would anyone be able to recommend a safer 4in1 driver, or should I just RMA the *%$#! board.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bahngeist on 03/08/01 02:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You might try turning off all forms of power saving modes, both in the bios and in windows. Just select 'disable' on anything that even remotely looks like power saving,especially DPMS.
You can set up a different screensaver under windows, then see if that cures the problem.
Could be an underpower power supply

G

I would also check you environmental settings in your BIOS - Check the temperature and voltage sensors. If one of these are out of spec then this kind of thing will happen. Also make sure that the chip is properly mounted to the heat-sink - If this is not the case - your PC could hang due to overheating. I had this problem - my screensaver uses quite a lot of oompf (yes I know this is defying all what a screensaver was meant for!!!) and my thermal pad on the heatsink of my Cooler Master was not fully contacting the dye on the CPU. Also make sure all the cards and CPU are seated correctly.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I doubt your problem is the 4-in-1 drivers. They would not even be loaded in Safe Mode.

I recommend remounting the heatsink, and reseating the memory and your video card. Make sure the latter does not rock out of the AGP slot when you tighten the screw. Leave all other I/O cards out of the system and boot up the system. Run the BIOS setup and immediately check the CPU temperatures. Make sure the temperature actually stabilizes. After you confirm this, see if the system is stable in Windows as well. Use Via Hardware Monitor (or Motherboard Monitor) to check temperatures while running Windows.

I also recommend, until one can rule out heat as the source of the problem when diagnosing a system, don't take chances. Don't fool around with system resets. This just leaves the CPU powered longer. If the system crashes, turn off the power from the back of the PSU or pull the plug.

G

Adding to what everyone has suggested also look into the video card itself, IF after your other tests fail. I had a problem with mine that a slight wiggle showed the video error or lockup. the problems I had are very similar to yours. The tracers or solder contact must have had a problem because the new vid card has been running 24-7 for 2 weeks now with no errors and or lockups.
This test may or may not help you but give it a shot.

G

My first thought when reading about the 'click' was that the tab on the processor socket fell off...
Hopefully that wasn't the case :smile: