Letter to Frank Voelkel

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here's one I sent to Frank...

Once again I must e-mail you on your mistakes. It seems everyone on the forum is beginning to doubt your credibility at all due to one glaring over site on your part- You say the orbs are phoney inefficient designs, yet all your test show the super orb out performing most of the heat sinks you've givin good reviews to. The super orb may be a bit loud, but the fop 32 only out performs it by one degree celcius, and the majority of the other heat sinks don't even do that well. Also for the price- super orbs are quite cheap as are the golden orbs (12-14 bucks) you really can not beat them. Sure you can spend an extra 40 bucks on a silverado and drop the temperature by two degrees, but why? I personally own a FOP heatsink with a couple fans rigged on it, so I'm not defending my home turf or anything, but seriously you come off like an intel fan who shows numerous benchmarks in which an athlon out performs a p3 and then says, "but the p3's are better. The athlon design sucks- no heat protection, it's porely designed and it is in all ways inferior." Come on Frank, redeem your self and give us the truth. We can take it and we'll come back to the fold. Just because you don't like it, does not make it bad.

ILLEGALISE BULLETS

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
dude, he just gave you the truth-the gorbs are a novelty item, I have two gorbs cooling my p3's @39c, so who cares? (they look nice don't they?)

and may I add that the Athlon is poorly designed compared to a P3 or P4, sorry this is my honest opinion(aka fact!).

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Novelty Items don't work. Do you have to defend evrything that is obviously wrong!? What is your deal? These do work and better than many others and at a low price, so they are not novelty items. They do look cool though, you are right on one thing.
As far as your athlon comment- I'll just put it up there with the rest of your banter that everyone ignores.

ILLEGALISE BULLETS

G

Well, no one can dispute that the Athlon is a great processor and outperforms a P3/P4 in almost all tests. HOWEVER, he is correct in stating that the Athlon has a porely designed cooling system. Now, this is supposed to be all fixed with the Palomino- but the Athlon's still run very hot in comparison to a P3/P4.

-complicatedBURN

Satan Inside™

dryfly

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2001
Yes, jg dude, I think I have to agree with you. I am thinking of building a second computer and I am looking for a good heat sink unit for a low cost. Right now I am seriously thinking about the super orb as a potential, althought I have now heard of the volcano II, but I have heard no tests on how the volcano performs. I am considering the Super orb because it did very well in the cooler test by Tom, and also it is a very low cost.

Other HSF units such as the FOP 38 and the massive swiftech unit that won the roundup are not of interest to me because they are so LOUD!

Also, the silerado seems out of the race, although I would love to buy one cuz it is so quiet. It is just to expensive for me. $80 US is a lot of cash, and especially when you live outside of the US, like I do, the exchange and shipping charges kill you.

My thoughts in case you wanted to know them.

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Good thoughts. The only real downside to the orbs, and one to concider, is the way it clips on. Lots of pressure, and a small few chips have been damaged. I put an orb on a chip and I pre bent the metal a bit and it worked fine, though it's a little risky. Most of them go on and work fine. The volcano- I bought one just to try it out and to see if the fan was really 36cfm and at such low decibles. Actually it puts out 26-27cfm which is why it's so quiet. Anyway, my heatsink (fop38 with out the loud fan) is all getto rigged with two quieter fans and is a pain to take off so I have yet to try the volcano, it's just sitting here. I'll try it on my friends cpu this weekend and let you know how it measures against a fop32.

ILLEGALISE BULLETS