Voice Mail Backdoor numbers

Last response: in Network Providers
February 7, 2005 2:34:52 AM

Now that Verizon seems to have removed backdoor numbers -- at least in my
area anyway (Santa Monica and Los Angeles) -- is there any service out
there that allows a caller to send me a numeric page without ringing my
phone first? I'd even be willing to pay for a third party service for this.

My situation is the following. When a caller calls my business line, they
are immediately forwarded, 24 hours a day, to my follow-me service. From
there, they can either attempt to find me (choice 1, which rings my cell
phone, and then transfers them to the follow-me system's voice mail if I
don't answer), or they can leave a message (choice 2, which transfers them
to the follow-me system's voice mail).

Whenever someone leaves a voice mail message on the system, the system can
be configured to dial any number and then, after it hears a dial tone, send
a series of numeric data. The latter configuration essentially allows it to
send a numeric page to a numeric pager. So I would like to be able to use
my Verizon cell phone as a numeric pager, not just an alphanumeric pager
that receives SMS messages via vtext.com.

In the past I was able to have my follow-me system dial what is sometimes
called a backdoor number into my Verizon cellular voice mail system. This
would allow the follow-me system to send the numeric page without ringing
my cell phone. Verizon has been methodically pulling all its backdoor
numbers, and has finally trashed the ones in my local area.

Perhaps someone knows of system that will accept a numerical page, and then
convert it to a SMS message to be sent to vtext.com?
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 4:43:37 PM

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 23:34:52 GMT, Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net>
wrote:

>Now that Verizon seems to have removed backdoor numbers -- at least in my
>area anyway (Santa Monica and Los Angeles) -- is there any service out
>there that allows a caller to send me a numeric page without ringing my
>phone first? I'd even be willing to pay for a third party service for this.
>
>My situation is the following. When a caller calls my business line, they
>are immediately forwarded, 24 hours a day, to my follow-me service. From
>there, they can either attempt to find me (choice 1, which rings my cell
>phone, and then transfers them to the follow-me system's voice mail if I
>don't answer), or they can leave a message (choice 2, which transfers them
>to the follow-me system's voice mail).
>
>Whenever someone leaves a voice mail message on the system, the system can
>be configured to dial any number and then, after it hears a dial tone, send
>a series of numeric data. The latter configuration essentially allows it to
>send a numeric page to a numeric pager. So I would like to be able to use
>my Verizon cell phone as a numeric pager, not just an alphanumeric pager
>that receives SMS messages via vtext.com.
>
>In the past I was able to have my follow-me system dial what is sometimes
>called a backdoor number into my Verizon cellular voice mail system. This
>would allow the follow-me system to send the numeric page without ringing
>my cell phone. Verizon has been methodically pulling all its backdoor
>numbers, and has finally trashed the ones in my local area.
>
>Perhaps someone knows of system that will accept a numerical page, and then
>convert it to a SMS message to be sent to vtext.com?

Ralph,
Take a look at "tgw's" posted response to basically the same type of
question in this newsgroup on 1/16/05. It had "backdoor" in subj.
line. Here is what he said:

-------------------- paste ----------------------
It's called Office Message Alert (aka OMA). It is a free service (no
per
month charges) that must be enabled for each line, but it accrues
normal
text messaging charges based upon usage. Once it is enabled, use it
with
the following sequence:

888.284.3811 followed by pause(s) followed by 10-digit VZW number
followed by 10-digit callback number

Note: Callback number MUST be 10 digits -- any less and no text
message
will be sent.

Press release from when it was introduced:

http://news.vzw.com/news/2002/10/pr2002-10-28.html
---------------------- end -------------------------

Zeng
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 7:11:54 PM

Zeng wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 23:34:52 GMT, Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Now that Verizon seems to have removed backdoor numbers -- at least in my
>>area anyway (Santa Monica and Los Angeles) -- is there any service out
>>there that allows a caller to send me a numeric page without ringing my
>>phone first? I'd even be willing to pay for a third party service for
>>this.
>>
>>My situation is the following. When a caller calls my business line, they
>>are immediately forwarded, 24 hours a day, to my follow-me service. From
>>there, they can either attempt to find me (choice 1, which rings my cell
>>phone, and then transfers them to the follow-me system's voice mail if I
>>don't answer), or they can leave a message (choice 2, which transfers them
>>to the follow-me system's voice mail).
>>
>>Whenever someone leaves a voice mail message on the system, the system can
>>be configured to dial any number and then, after it hears a dial tone,
>>send a series of numeric data. The latter configuration essentially allows
>>it to send a numeric page to a numeric pager. So I would like to be able
>>to use my Verizon cell phone as a numeric pager, not just an alphanumeric
>>pager that receives SMS messages via vtext.com.
>>
>>In the past I was able to have my follow-me system dial what is sometimes
>>called a backdoor number into my Verizon cellular voice mail system. This
>>would allow the follow-me system to send the numeric page without ringing
>>my cell phone. Verizon has been methodically pulling all its backdoor
>>numbers, and has finally trashed the ones in my local area.
>>
>>Perhaps someone knows of system that will accept a numerical page, and
>>then convert it to a SMS message to be sent to vtext.com?
>
> Ralph,
> Take a look at "tgw's" posted response to basically the same type of
> question in this newsgroup on 1/16/05. It had "backdoor" in subj.
> line. Here is what he said:
>
> -------------------- paste ----------------------
> It's called Office Message Alert (aka OMA). It is a free service (no
> per
> month charges) that must be enabled for each line, but it accrues
> normal
> text messaging charges based upon usage. Once it is enabled, use it
> with
> the following sequence:
>
> 888.284.3811 followed by pause(s) followed by 10-digit VZW number
> followed by 10-digit callback number
>
> Note: Callback number MUST be 10 digits -- any less and no text
> message
> will be sent.
>
> Press release from when it was introduced:
>
> http://news.vzw.com/news/2002/10/pr2002-10-28.html
> ---------------------- end -------------------------
>
> Zeng

Thanks, Zeng. Unfortunately, the customer must have 5 or more business
Verizon Wireless lines to qualify for that. I only have one cell line with
them.
February 7, 2005 7:11:55 PM

"Ralph Alvy" <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in message
> Zeng wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 23:34:52 GMT, Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net>
>> wrote:

snip

>> 888.284.3811 followed by pause(s) followed by 10-digit VZW number
>> followed by 10-digit callback number
>>
>> Note: Callback number MUST be 10 digits -- any less and no text
>> message
>> will be sent.
>>
>> Press release from when it was introduced:
>>
>> http://news.vzw.com/news/2002/10/pr2002-10-28.html
>> ---------------------- end -------------------------
>>
>> Zeng
>
> Thanks, Zeng. Unfortunately, the customer must have 5 or more business
> Verizon Wireless lines to qualify for that. I only have one cell line with
> them.

When I called to have it added last year, the CS rep said "that is a
business service, you sure you want it? I said yes, and she added it to my
single line consumer account (now a family share, but I still have the
feature).

Alan
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 8:13:15 PM

> Now that Verizon seems to have removed backdoor numbers -- at least in my
> area anyway (Santa Monica and Los Angeles) -- is there any service out
> there that allows a caller to send me a numeric page without ringing my
> phone first? I'd even be willing to pay for a third party service for
> this.
>
> My situation is the following. When a caller calls my business line, they
> are immediately forwarded, 24 hours a day, to my follow-me service. From
> there, they can either attempt to find me (choice 1, which rings my cell
> phone, and then transfers them to the follow-me system's voice mail if I
> don't answer), or they can leave a message (choice 2, which transfers them
> to the follow-me system's voice mail).
>
> Whenever someone leaves a voice mail message on the system, the system can
> be configured to dial any number and then, after it hears a dial tone,
> send
> a series of numeric data. The latter configuration essentially allows it
> send a numeric page to a numeric pager. So I would like to be able to use
> my Verizon cell phone as a numeric pager, not just an alphanumeric pager
> that receives SMS messages via vtext.com.
>
> In the past I was able to have my follow-me system dial what is sometimes
> called a backdoor number into my Verizon cellular voice mail system. This
> would allow the follow-me system to send the numeric page without ringing
> my cell phone. Verizon has been methodically pulling all its backdoor
> numbers, and has finally trashed the ones in my local area.
>
> Perhaps someone knows of system that will accept a numerical page, and
> then
> convert it to a SMS message to be sent to vtext.com?

Your service is too complicated and it's too hard for your customers/clients
to reach you. Reconsider how your telecom situation is set up.

About a year ago, I ported my home office business landline to my VZW cell.
I got rid of a $120/month phone bill from BellSouth though had to increased
my VZW bucket of minutes by about $20 or so. Now my clients can reach me
most all the time-- though if I'm busy or don't want to talk to the specific
caller (ain't caller ID wonderful), I dump the call to voicemail. Of course,
I still have some wirelines in my home office that I use for local outgoing
calls. And if I'm expecting a lengthy incomer, I ask the client to call on
the landline.

Reaction from all clients has been very positive.

Ike
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 8:13:16 PM

Ira Hayes wrote:
> "Ralph Alvy" <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in message
>> Now that Verizon seems to have removed backdoor numbers
>> -- at least in my area anyway (Santa Monica and Los
>> Angeles) -- is there any service out there that allows a
>> caller to send me a numeric page without ringing my
>> phone first? I'd even be willing to pay for a third
>> party service for this.
>>
>> My situation is the following. When a caller calls my
>> business line, they are immediately forwarded, 24 hours
>> a day, to my follow-me service. From there, they can
>> either attempt to find me (choice 1, which rings my cell
>> phone, and then transfers them to the follow-me system's
>> voice mail if I don't answer), or they can leave a
>> message (choice 2, which transfers them to the follow-me
>> system's voice mail).
>>
>> Whenever someone leaves a voice mail message on the
>> system, the system can be configured to dial any number
>> and then, after it hears a dial tone, send
>> a series of numeric data. The latter configuration
>> essentially allows it to
>> send a numeric page to a numeric pager. So I would like
>> to be able to use my Verizon cell phone as a numeric
>> pager, not just an alphanumeric pager that receives SMS
>> messages via vtext.com.
>>
>> In the past I was able to have my follow-me system dial
>> what is sometimes called a backdoor number into my
>> Verizon cellular voice mail system. This would allow the
>> follow-me system to send the numeric page without
>> ringing my cell phone. Verizon has been methodically
>> pulling all its backdoor numbers, and has finally
>> trashed the ones in my local area.
>>
>> Perhaps someone knows of system that will accept a
>> numerical page, and then
>> convert it to a SMS message to be sent to vtext.com?
>
> Your service is too complicated and it's too hard for
> your customers/clients to reach you. Reconsider how your
> telecom situation is set up.

What? Customer's call the office number. If he is not there
you get a prompt "find him? or leave a message?". What
could be easier for the customer than that?

He has a huge advantage in that if a customer leaves
a message he gets a page notification with a call back
number. He can either retrieve the VM (which may or may
not include a call back number) or call back when he gets
around to looking at the page. The page stays there until
you retrieve it at your convenience. *Much* better than
calling the VM every so often (how often?) and then possibly
scanning through a bunch of messages that may or may
not have call backs. Very nice.

"John, no problems, just wanted to let you know the good
news that the concrete came 1/2 day early so we're going
to go ahead and pour it this morning."

Panic call back:

"They wanted 8 more pairs of phone lines and PacBell is
going to have to trench across the driveway. They're coming
out this morning".

-Quick
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 12:46:29 AM

Alan Burnstine wrote:

> "Ralph Alvy" <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in message
>> Zeng wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 23:34:52 GMT, Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net>
>>> wrote:
>>>
> snip
>

>>> 888.284.3811 followed by pause(s) followed by 10-digit VZW number
>>> followed by 10-digit callback number
>>>
>>> Note: Callback number MUST be 10 digits -- any less and no text
>>> message
>>> will be sent.
>>>
>>> Press release from when it was introduced:
>>>
>>> http://news.vzw.com/news/2002/10/pr2002-10-28.html
>>> ---------------------- end -------------------------
>>>
>>> Zeng
>>
>> Thanks, Zeng. Unfortunately, the customer must have 5 or more business
>> Verizon Wireless lines to qualify for that. I only have one cell line
>> with them.
>
> When I called to have it added last year, the CS rep said "that is a
> business service, you sure you want it? I said yes, and she added it to
> my single line consumer account (now a family share, but I still have the
> feature).
>
> Alan

Well, I called this morning, and was told it was for business accounts that
have at least 5 cellular phone lines with Verizon.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 1:15:51 AM

>Well, I called this morning, and was told it was for business accounts that
>have at least 5 cellular phone lines with Verizon.

Once again, its the pick a CS Rep and hope you get a good one- I have had it
for over two years on my single line personal phone and once I finally found
somone who knew what it was, they added,have friends who have gotten it since
with no problems- and best of all- it works-- my home phone answering machine
will page will cell phone---
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 1:46:05 AM

> Alan Burnstine wrote:
>

>> "Ralph Alvy" <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in message

>> snip

>>> Thanks, Zeng. Unfortunately, the customer must have 5 or more business
>>> Verizon Wireless lines to qualify for that. I only have one cell line
>>> with them.
>>
>> When I called to have it added last year, the CS rep said "that is a
>> business service, you sure you want it? I said yes, and she added it to
>> my single line consumer account (now a family share, but I still have the
>> feature).
>>
>> Alan
>
> Well, I called this morning, and was told it was for business accounts
> that
> have at least 5 cellular phone lines with Verizon.

I recommend calling back a few times until you get an answer you like. The
rule with VZW is that you get a different answer every time you call. Now
that you know at least two people on the newsgroup have it on residential
accounts, you know it is possible, so you can also escalate to a supervisor.

Alan
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 10:18:59 AM

Alan Burnstine wrote:

> "Ralph Alvy" <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in message
>> Alan Burnstine wrote:
>>

>>> "Ralph Alvy" <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in message

>>> snip

>>> When I called to have it added last year, the CS rep said "that is a
>>> business service, you sure you want it? I said yes, and she added it to
>>> my single line consumer account (now a family share, but I still have
>>> the feature).
>>>
>>> Alan
>>
>> Well, I called this morning, and was told it was for business accounts
>> that
>> have at least 5 cellular phone lines with Verizon.
>
> I recommend calling back a few times until you get an answer you like.
> The
> rule with VZW is that you get a different answer every time you call. Now
> that you know at least two people on the newsgroup have it on residential
> accounts, you know it is possible, so you can also escalate to a
> supervisor.
>
> Alan
Well, thanks. I made a call about this service last year, with the same
answer. Again yesterday, with the same answer. I'll keep calling, pehaps
daily. Thanks. This is sounding more promising.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 9:39:46 PM

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 07:18:59 GMT, Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net>
wrote:

>Alan Burnstine wrote:
>

>> "Ralph Alvy" <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in message

>>> Well, I called this morning, and was told it was for business accounts
>>> that
>>> have at least 5 cellular phone lines with Verizon.
>>
>> I recommend calling back a few times until you get an answer you like.
>> The
>> rule with VZW is that you get a different answer every time you call. Now
>> that you know at least two people on the newsgroup have it on residential
>> accounts, you know it is possible, so you can also escalate to a
>> supervisor.
>>
>> Alan
>Well, thanks. I made a call about this service last year, with the same
>answer. Again yesterday, with the same answer. I'll keep calling, pehaps
>daily. Thanks. This is sounding more promising.

Okay guys, I've got a suggestion for you to try. If your home
"follow-me" service has the capability to insert multiple pauses, then
try setting it up to call your VMail retrieval number. You can find
out quickly what that is by calling your VM on cell with the "1-key"
usually reserved for that, or however you do that. Upon dialing, hang
up, and locate "dialed calls" registry. Then when u select the call u
just made (probably says 'Voicemail'), examine the contents [number]
by hitting view or whatever similar option you have to view call
details.

In other words, if you don't have it already, that number allows you
to check your cell VM from a landline. If you play around with it,
there might be an option after entering your 10 digit mobile number to
leave a msg. However, in many systems now, you also have the ability
to leave a numeric page, and if you hang up, no VM is left, just the
text-page goes out to the cell. Learn what those prompts are, if
available, then program your system to do that.

For the others, I also have a question....in GSM, they refer to that
number as a "pilot" number. What is it called in a CDMA system that
we're talking about?

So, in summary, if this works, this should give you a local number to
call, eliminating the need for a "back-door."

Zeng
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 11:17:49 PM

Zeng wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 07:18:59 GMT, Ralph Alvy <ralvy@warpmail.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Alan Burnstine wrote:
>>

>>> "Ralph Alvy" <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in message

>>> I recommend calling back a few times until you get an answer you like.
>>> The
>>> rule with VZW is that you get a different answer every time you call.
>>> Now that you know at least two people on the newsgroup have it on
>>> residential accounts, you know it is possible, so you can also escalate
>>> to a supervisor.
>>>
>>> Alan
>>Well, thanks. I made a call about this service last year, with the same
>>answer. Again yesterday, with the same answer. I'll keep calling, pehaps
>>daily. Thanks. This is sounding more promising.
>
> Okay guys, I've got a suggestion for you to try. If your home
> "follow-me" service has the capability to insert multiple pauses, then
> try setting it up to call your VMail retrieval number. You can find
> out quickly what that is by calling your VM on cell with the "1-key"
> usually reserved for that, or however you do that. Upon dialing, hang
> up, and locate "dialed calls" registry. Then when u select the call u
> just made (probably says 'Voicemail'), examine the contents [number]
> by hitting view or whatever similar option you have to view call
> details.

The number that was there previously (before I changed it to my follow-me
checkin number), was simply *86. And when I dial *86 and then examine the
"dialed calls" registry, it shows up as *86, not a 10-digit number.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:44:36 AM

Alan Burnstine wrote:

> "Ralph Alvy" <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in message
>> Alan Burnstine wrote:
>>

>>> "Ralph Alvy" <ralvy@warpmail.net> wrote in message

>>> snip

>>> When I called to have it added last year, the CS rep said "that is a
>>> business service, you sure you want it? I said yes, and she added it to
>>> my single line consumer account (now a family share, but I still have
>>> the feature).
>>>
>>> Alan
>>
>> Well, I called this morning, and was told it was for business accounts
>> that
>> have at least 5 cellular phone lines with Verizon.
>
> I recommend calling back a few times until you get an answer you like.
> The
> rule with VZW is that you get a different answer every time you call. Now
> that you know at least two people on the newsgroup have it on residential
> accounts, you know it is possible, so you can also escalate to a
> supervisor.
>
> Alan

Bingo! The third call seems to be the charm. Called this afternoon, and the
VZW rep filled out a form and said a special rep will be calling me within
a couple of days to set it up. She said they target businesses with
multiple VZW lines, but that's not necessary. Thanks for your persistence.
!