AMD Athlon 950 Blue Covering on top of Processor

sarah

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2001
I have just purchased a AMD Athlon 950Mz CPU and have noticed what appears to be a blue wax like film over the centre part of the top of the CPU where the heatsink goes (the raised bit in the middle with numbers etc on - not very technical that) is this supposed to be there??? I did not notice it until I had installed the CPU + heatsink/fan and had it running then had to change the heatsink/fan. PLease advise.

Thanks Sarah

G

Sound like a thermal compound. May not be a bad thing but I would definitely return it. Let us know how things go.

G

Its just thermal compound which comes in all colours
I had orange on mine
Nowt to worry about

Theres never enough money to feed the poor but there is always enough to fight a war - HomerJSimpson

G

In most cases the thermal compound patch will be on the H-sink, not on the CPU itself... do you have one on the H-sink too? If so, it might be something evil... get it out of your house at once, and get yourself to a church. (I would send it back to be safe...)

-enjoy

Those who do not know, speak. Those who are silent, know.

sarah

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2001
Thanks for the replies. The heatsink has a pink sticky chewing gum type patch on it (or pink BlueTak). The covering on the top of the CPU is transparent Blue (you can read the writing AMD....etc through it. It just laps over the edges of the raised plate with the writing on. My first thought was that the covering over the pink heat transfer paste on the heatsink had not been removed and had melted. The supplier said that this patch would have had a large White strip to pull off. What does anyone think?

Sarah in a damp UK

TRENDING THREADS