WildRhino

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is a Duron 700@800 hotter than an 800 Duron? I assume that if it is only multiplied then no but increasing the fsb causes heat.My duron heats up daramtically at 800 and I cannot see how.

If you need to increase the voltage to run faster, why are all durons default voltage the same?

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
The only adavantage of a Duron at normal speed of 800 over an overclocked one to 800 is that the OC one will generate more heat plus it will be less stable than the one that is supposed to run at 800.

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"

G

When they (the people who make the chips) are testing them, the ones that are stable at the higher speeds are clocked at that speed (800); the ones that are not stable are marked at a speed that they are stable at (700). You have to up the voltage of the lower chips to make them run more stable at the higher speeds when you overclock them. The chips are set to run at 1.75v but only the ones that can be stable at that voltage and that that high speed are set as that high speed chip (800). When you overclock say a 700 to 800 you have to up the Voltage to make it run as stable as a 800 running at 1.75v... hope that makes some kind of sense... :)

~enjoy

Those who do not know, speak. Those who are silent, know.

McEwin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Maya, I think the frase you are looking for is:

"empty vessils make most sound"

On the subject in hand you are correct though.

G

McEwin - that might be true, translating from Chinese can go many ways. It’s a quote from Lao-tzu. ;)

Those who do not know, speak. Those who are silent, know.