Why aren't PC games fun anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
I long for the games like Half-Life, Half-life 2. Games that got you caught up in the story, like a good novel. Enough playing pretend-army already! Gun-tag quits being fun after one grows up. Oh. And please... bring back the quick save.

There. I had my rant.

Solution

I don't have a problem with "corridor" either - - I think the term linear has taken on some sort of derogatory context in that a game designed in that manner MUST somehow be inferior.

Some of my favorite games in life are totally linear (F.E.A.R., Metro2033, Mirror's Edge). A well designed game is a well designed game, whether is sandbox or corridor...

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Some good stuff on the horizon :D Diablo 3, Risen 2 could be promising, the new Tribes feels like a breath of fresh air in the shooter arean (open beta now).

Everything else im lookin forward to is a shooter :p metro was an awsome survival horror type shooter, and the new one could be sweet. Counter-strike GO looks good, ARMA 3 looks promising as well.

Check out gog.com (formerly good old games) lots of great stuff on there to hold you over if all else fails, they have a lot of newer games now too.

every 1 has this problem at 1 time or another if you play games long enough. i did... 2000 i was stowed off and for nearly 6 years i played consoles. coming back to pc at the end of 2006 to play F.E.A.R. it was then that i got excited about gaming again...
all i would say is if your a game at heart you will have times where you do get bored as the major players just release the same crap year after year. so you may just need a break and come back in a couple of years when things change up...

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I have had those stints of boredom as well. I think HEXiT's advice to take a break is sound, and may help more than anything.

I am TOTALLY stoked, however, for Metro: Last Light, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, and possibly FarCry3 (....possibly).

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012

I guess everyone has their own idea of what constitutes a 'fun' game. Yeah, I liked the original FEAR series too. Great graphics for its time. Most folks don't like corridor shooters. But those are my favorites. Alone, no squad. Stalking. Hiding. Sniping. Good AI. Creepy. Good story. Doom 3 was like that too. And Q saves. I love Q saves. All ports now... :(

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012

That's the problem. I have been taking a break because all (well, most) of the games are so lame. Rushed through to make a quick buck. I sure hope if Valve ever releases HL3, they don't screw it up and make it a console port.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

I don't have a problem with "corridor" either - - I think the term linear has taken on some sort of derogatory context in that a game designed in that manner MUST somehow be inferior.

Some of my favorite games in life are totally linear (F.E.A.R., Metro2033, Mirror's Edge). A well designed game is a well designed game, whether is sandbox or corridor. Either approach can be made into a great game.

Solution

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012

Exactly. Linear isn't bad if there is plenty of alternative areas to explore. That's another thing... exploration. Discovery. PC Gaming shouldn't always be about just scoring points. Out doing your opponents.

Metro 2033 was decent. But I liked Prey, Crysis/Warhead, Deus Ex: HR, Dead Space 1 and 2, even Bioshock. And one thing they all had in common; no console port... no checkpoint saves; save when YOU want to. And graphics that weren't designed to be played on a 720p xbox with 2002 technology.

heids24

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009

There are plenty of games out there. Others have listed some good ones. You want creepy? Try Amnesia: The Dark Descent if you haven't already. I shutter at even mentioning that game.

How about The Witcher 2? Outstanding, adult-oriented story if you're into RPG style games.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012

Yes, there are plenty of games out there. I just can't find many I like. And I did try Amnesia: The Dark Descent demo. It's not for me though. And I tried RPGs, but don't like them. I'm strictly interested in FPS style, but without playing army or tag with guns. I like some 3rd person games if they're done well like Dead Space 1 and 2. Not very interested in multiplayer competition, though. I know what you're thinking... damn, he's picky!

I liked Bioshock 1 and 2 and Prey. Speaking of Prey, I see it has been yet again postponed till 2013. Hoping the 3rd Bioshock will be as good as the first. Looking forward to Far Cry 3, but afraid it will morph into a RPG like FC2 was.

GodOfGaming

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Most games today aren't fun because game companies make them in a simplified manner to appeal to the masses of casual players and make a lot of profit. The fact that you noticed they aren't fun makes you one of the minority of surviving hardcore gamers like me. My advice is to return to replaying real manly games that you'll find out they're actually fun to play again, even though you have played them until they got boring before. There are actually still games like that coming out lately, but only 1 or 2 per year, and they are usually indie games so they don't get very famous.

Here's my recommendations on great first person shooters that never get old and will be always fun to play. Best FPS games of all time (in no specific order) are:
The Ultimate Doom, Doom II: Hell on Earth, Final Doom: TNT Evilution, Final Doom: The Plutionia Experiment
Quake, Quake: Scourge of Armagon, Quake: Dissolution of Eternity, Quake II, Quake II: The Reckoning, Quake II: Ground Zero, Quake 4
Unreal, Unreal: Return to Na Pali, Unreal 2: The Awakening
Serious Sam: The First Encounter, Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, Serious Sam 3: BFE
Half-Life, Half-Life: Opposing Force, Half-Life: Blue Shift, Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode One, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, Portal 2
Descent, Descent 2, Descent 3, and their expansions (can't remember the names)
System Shock, System Shock 2
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition
Alien versus Predator, Alien versus Predator 2, Aliens versus Predator 2: Primal Hunt

Great FPS games, that cannot be called the best but are still good enough to be played again and again are:
Doom 3, Doom 3: Ressurection of Evil
Prey
Pariah
Serious Sam 2
Will Rock
Painkiller, Painkiller: Battle out of Hell, maybe the newer titles too but I haven't played them yet
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, Turok: Evolution
Command & Conquer: Renegade
Clive Barker's Undying
Return to castle Wolfenstein
F.E.A.R., F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point, F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate, F.E.A.R.2: Project Origin

Great tactical FPS games, if you enjoy them. For me they are not games that I can play every day, but when I get in the mood they are fine games too.
Delta Force, Delta Force 2, Delta Force: Land Warior, Delta Force: Task Force Dagger, Delta Force: Black Hawk Down, Delta Force: Team Sabre
Project I.G.I., I.G.I.2: Covert Strike
Far Cry, Crysis, Crysis: Warhead
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis, ArmA: Armed Assault, ArmA 2, ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead, upcoming ArmA 3

Quality multiplayer FPS games, not listed above:
Quakelive
Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal Tournament 2004
(Half-Life: ) Counter-Strike
Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 1942: Road to Rome, Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII, Battlefield: Vietnam, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 3

There are others, but I can't remember them right now. But pretty much all FPS games that came out during the period of 1993-2003 deserve to be tried at least once. So there you have it, if you haven't tried any of these, do so, and if you have played them but not recently, play them again! :) Turning a blind eye to the console crap that's being sold today and playing what we know is good even if it's old is the only thing we can do in these dark times :)

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012

Thanks for the list. Actually, I have (or used to have) quite a few on that list. As you can probably tell, I prefer single player games to multiplayer. And the Fear, Doom, H-L2, series of games is what I use as a landmark. And user saves is a must.
Btw, what would be really cool, would be if some developer would re-make one of those older games with today's modern graphics and AI engines. Kinda like Black Mesa is trying to do with the original Half Life but using the HL2 EP2 source engine.

GodOfGaming

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
^Well I've seen a remake of Doom's first episode (first 8 maps) as a mod for Doom 3, the maps are the same but with way more detail so you'll almost not recognize them, the music is remixed too, but the monsters and weapons are these from Doom 3, so the gameplay changed for the worst and I don't like it this way, if they made them handle like the original it would be a sick remake. Right now I'm trying out an engine conversion for Quake 2, that makes it look about as good as Quake 4, and I'm pretty pleased with it so far. CroTeam also remade their first two Serious Sam games with a new engine that improved their graphics a lot, but I prefer the originals because they have a lot of fan-made content that obviously is not compatible with the remakes. Anyways I don't mind having low graphics as long as the gameplay is solid. I'm sick of listening to some of my friends discussing games and only caring about the graphics of the game.... and the story :)

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

lol.... trusting dead bodies is never a good idea, even before Dead Space and Bio Shock

BlueberryCake

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Did you see the any of the featured games in E3?

A handful of them look great.

Last of Us (Naughty Dog)
Beyond: Two Souls (Quantic Dreams)
Watch Dogs (Ubisoft)

I know that none of them are PC games, but they still caught my eye. Hopefully, they'll come out on PC too.

Marc999

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
I fall into the 'people change' category. The desire to play video games just isn't there anymore. The sedentary, anti-social activity, not to mention bad posture just doesn't agree with me. I've tried many different genres as well, whether it's survival horror, rpg, puzzle, first/third person shooters, strategy, yadda yadda.

I guess I'd rather not spend my time starring glossy eyed at a computer screen if I can help it. Life's too short for this mundane form of entertainment. Not judging, just saying how I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.