Need to print from DOS

Hi! I've read the recent threads on this subject and have not been able to successfully set up the printer to print from DOS. Current situation:

We have 2 desktops - using WinME and a new dell laptop using XP pro. They have been successfully networked and mapped. The problem I face is that when I add the network printer it automatically assigns the port as the name of the computer\name of printer. I tried selecting LPT1 but it will not let me select it. So when I keyed: net use lpt1: \\computername\printersharename /persistent:yes it does not work. I don't know what to key in instead of lpt1 -any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

Sincerely,
Caroline

Add it as a LOCAL printer instead. What you're doing is the same as
"Capturing a printer port" in Windows 98/ME; this makes a UNC port appear as
local to the machine. Open a command prompt, run your "Net Use" commands to
set the UNC ports up as local, then install the print driver and assign it
to these "local" ports. I have an old Windows 95 application here that
doesn't print correctly to a UNC port, but prints fine to a "Captured"
printer port, and this fixes the problem perfectly on the new XP Pro
workstations we're getting.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com