Slow network printing in Windows XP

We have a HP LJ4000TN printer connected using 10HD to a
switch. The printer is configured using TCP/IP-port to a
printserver running 2003 Server which is connected to the
same switch using 100FD. The printserver is sharing the
printer using latest PCL6 driver from HP. We've disabled
SNMP, Bidirectional communication and advanced features
for the printer and set all trays to A4 format.
The clients use either W2K Pro or XP Pro - they are all
connected to the switch using 100FD and are updated with
the latest SP's and patches from Microsoft.
Problem:
The print performance on the XP clients are half the one
on the W2K clients - 8ppm vs 16ppm. Also the time from
print start to first page finish differs a lot - 24s vs
15s. According to printer specs from HP correct values
should be 16ppm and around 12-13s.

We've set the LPT_Timeout under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/WOW
from 15s default to 3s without and change.

What other configuration changes can be made on in the XP
environment to enhance printer performance?
2 answers Last reply
More about slow network printing windows

    Try creating a port on one of the clients that points to the print device's
    IP. (In other words, bypass the 2003 server.) This will let you narrow the
    problem down for troubleshooting purposes.

    On a related note, are you noticing that it is taking longer to spool the
    document from XP (have a look at the print queue on the server) ? Or does
    the problem seem to occur after the job is spooled?

    --
    Colin Nash
    Microsoft MVP

    "Anders Blomkvist" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We have a HP LJ4000TN printer connected using 10HD to a
    > switch. The printer is configured using TCP/IP-port to a
    > printserver running 2003 Server which is connected to the
    > same switch using 100FD. The printserver is sharing the
    > printer using latest PCL6 driver from HP. We've disabled
    > SNMP, Bidirectional communication and advanced features
    > for the printer and set all trays to A4 format.
    > The clients use either W2K Pro or XP Pro - they are all
    > connected to the switch using 100FD and are updated with
    > the latest SP's and patches from Microsoft.
    > Problem:
    > The print performance on the XP clients are half the one
    > on the W2K clients - 8ppm vs 16ppm. Also the time from
    > print start to first page finish differs a lot - 24s vs
    > 15s. According to printer specs from HP correct values
    > should be 16ppm and around 12-13s.
    >
    > We've set the LPT_Timeout under
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/WOW
    > from 15s default to 3s without and change.
    >
    > What other configuration changes can be made on in the XP
    > environment to enhance printer performance?

    Spooling is quite fast - of course it depends on wether we
    choose to begin printing after first page spooled or after
    entire document has spooled.
    We've configured a new printer using a TCP/IP port to the
    printer JetDirect card with same PCL6 driver and there is
    no change in performance. So it seems the problem is not
    related to the printserver but rather the XP client
    (remember the W2K client is twice as fast with the same
    setup).

Printers Hewlett Packard Windows XP