Intermission Report: End of the Omens Era

Last response: in Video Games
February 15, 2005 9:27:30 PM

While we wait to see how badly SOE has screwed up again, a few
random thoughts on the all-too-short Omens era, and other recent
developments in general.

Once again, the new expansion comes too soon. Omens is barely
five months old and already we have to move on. SOE's operating
philosophy continues to be: The most effective way to reduce loss
of subscriptions is to give people new zones to explore. At this rate,
by 2008 they will be introducing 20 new zones a month, and no one
will ever set foot in 10 of them because they won't get to them
before the next expansion a month later...

Nevertheless, the Omens era was good to me. I got over 100,000pp
from the sale of runes, and still have over 80k left after twinking
my monk and my shadowknight further. I'm considering spending
much of the rest on my warrior, who otherwise would have to share
the SK's gear. They will need such gear to solo: lord knows there
are no groups at those levels anymore.

Adas no longer needs to conquer PoP to get top-quality gear; what
she has now is just short of Elemental level. After her last long AA
run in MPG she finished Quick Evacuation 3, sorely needed, and
got Destructive Fury 1, which seems to be utterly useless. From there
she's gotten level 68 back, and now I will drive her on to level 69 and
RSS; which will likely be empty as everyone who was there has gone
on to the new DoN zones.

Still, conquering PoP is fun just for the content. Being a member
of Acropolis has helped: Adas now has the Protector of Dresolik and
Xuzl down. Now I need to convince the guild leaders to repeat recent
raids on the other Sol Ro minis just for her on a weekend. Our raid
leaders seem to all take Saturday off, leaving us with a wasted day.
Not completely, of course, people are still grinding, but we could
be getting flags for the weekend warriors like myself.

(It would also help if the servers would stay stable. Our first chance
at Arlyxir was cut short because of a server crash. When I logged
back on, we had been rolled back to the bottom of Arly's stairs,
with full trash mob popped; instant wipe. As we were rezzing at the
graveyard, it was found that while the trash mobs had popped, the
minis had not, though theoretically they are supposed to at server up.
Complete waste of a night...)

Last weekend, Acropolis had a wedding: our main raid tank and one
of our main chanters. Everyone got drunk, wasting a lot of time waiting
for the drunkenness to wear off, the we were scheduled to try RZ.
An almost certain wipe, we only had 30 people, but still...we had to gauge
ourselves. But then it was found Saryrn was up, and a lot of us needed
her, so off to Torment we went.
And off to insanity the raid leaders went. After getting into the tower
and clearing the bottom floor, we proceeded to race to the top, training
everything in the tower into Saryrn's room, and dying in place, letting
necros FD and start the rezzing when everything had moved off. The
first run, we didn't beat the corpse timers, and I was rezzed at the
graveyard. I declined to take part in the second attempt.

The return of the old world storyline of Firiona Vie and Lanys T'vyl
was a landmark for me. I had been researching some of the game lore,
finding out about such storied events as Bloody Kithicor and the
War of the Gods in Lesser Faydark. Now I was actually able to get
screenshots of these two. Oddly, when Lanys was forming her troops
up in the Dreadlands she was in full armor, but when the battle
advanced into FV she was naked. The cliff golems now occupying
the city in FV are also human models; sloppiness born of haste.
Alas, I couldn't stay for the conclusion of the battler and the chance
at some artifact loot. It was running too late. I did get a nice secondary
item, but not as good as my Jaded Shield of Protection.

Now: off to see what mischief I can make in the empty zones while
everyone else is exploring DoN. I'll wait until the weekend to get it;
no rush for me. I've got alts to play.

EJH

On Tholuxe Paells:
[68 Wizard] Adastraea Starwind (High Elf) of Erollisi Marr <Acropolis>
[61 Druid] Rabotev Startree (Wood Elf) of Tunare <Council of the
Fellowship>
[41 Warrior] Gruggoredil Dullwit (Barbarian) of Rallos Zek
[45 Monk] Tosev Starfist (human) of Quellious
[45 Shadow Knight] Neuveniu Sinstorm (Dark Elf) of Innoruuk
[33 Enchanter] Nuneveiu Arworthi (Dark Elf)
[33 Cleric] Celune (High Elf) of Tunare
[31 Beastlord] Grukyn (Vah Shir)

On Drinal:
[22 Bard] Greban (Vah Shir)

On Firiona Vie:
[32 Cleric] Adastra Peraspera (High Elf) of Tunare

On Quellious:
[7 Wizard] Phrogment (Froglok) of Mithaniel Marr
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 9:27:31 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:27:30 GMT, "Eric J. Hawman"
<ejhawman@ameritech.net> wrote:

> The return of the old world storyline of Firiona Vie and Lanys T'vyl
>was a landmark for me. I had been researching some of the game lore,
>finding out about such storied events as Bloody Kithicor and the
>War of the Gods in Lesser Faydark. Now I was actually able to get
>screenshots of these two. Oddly, when Lanys was forming her troops
>up in the Dreadlands she was in full armor, but when the battle
>advanced into FV she was naked. The cliff golems now occupying
>the city in FV are also human models; sloppiness born of haste.

Nope. Fix your machine. I saw everyone clothed and I definitely see
Cliff Golems there.

--
Elder Lizsolo Spiritmaster - 66 Beastlord
Baron Darkensolo - 65 Cleric

A: Top Posters
Q: What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?
February 16, 2005 1:04:34 AM

In article <rar41157ng06nkjs67qul53cbb5tsbh4nf@4ax.com>, handy@solo-
technology.killthis.com says...
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:27:30 GMT, "Eric J. Hawman"
> <ejhawman@ameritech.net> wrote:
>

> > The return of the old world storyline of Firiona Vie and Lanys T'vyl
> >was a landmark for me. I had been researching some of the game lore,
> >finding out about such storied events as Bloody Kithicor and the
> >War of the Gods in Lesser Faydark. Now I was actually able to get
> >screenshots of these two. Oddly, when Lanys was forming her troops
> >up in the Dreadlands she was in full armor, but when the battle
> >advanced into FV she was naked. The cliff golems now occupying
> >the city in FV are also human models; sloppiness born of haste.
>
> Nope. Fix your machine. I saw everyone clothed and I definitely see
> Cliff Golems there.

I wonder if its related to caching at all. Does the OP have caching
enabled?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 4:05:18 AM

Darkensolo <handy@solo-technology.killthis.com> writes:
> >The cliff golems now occupying the city in FV are also human models
>
> Nope. Fix your machine. I saw everyone clothed and I definitely see
> Cliff Golems there.

I can't speak to the clothing, but I too see human-model golems.
(Though I saw in some web reports of the war that other people
got screenshots showing real golems.) Can you be more specific
than "fix your machine"? What should I try?

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 52 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 47 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 4:05:19 AM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:05:18 GMT, Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote:

>Darkensolo <handy@solo-technology.killthis.com> writes:
>> >The cliff golems now occupying the city in FV are also human models
>>
>> Nope. Fix your machine. I saw everyone clothed and I definitely see
>> Cliff Golems there.
>
>I can't speak to the clothing, but I too see human-model golems.
>(Though I saw in some web reports of the war that other people
>got screenshots showing real golems.) Can you be more specific
>than "fix your machine"? What should I try?

If you have caching on, delete the cache files from your eq directory.
Or delete the fv zone files and repatch? I guess that's where I'd
start.

--
Elder Lizsolo Spiritmaster - 66 Beastlord
Baron Darkensolo - 65 Cleric
Pliska - 50 SK twink hoping to grow into his armor someday...
Rodcet Nife

A: Top Posters
Q: What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 8:54:39 AM

"Eric J. Hawman" <ejhawman@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> While we wait to see how badly SOE has screwed up again, a few
> random thoughts on the all-too-short Omens era, and other recent
> developments in general.

why are you even still playing this game

all you do is twink out cartoon dolls

time to move on to a game with MORE TO DO
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 8:54:40 AM

why are you reading this group ? move on to something with MORE TO DO

"Joiner" <joiner@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Eric J. Hawman" <ejhawman@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>> While we wait to see how badly SOE has screwed up again, a few
>> random thoughts on the all-too-short Omens era, and other recent
>> developments in general.
>

> why are you even still playing this game
>
> all you do is twink out cartoon dolls
>

> time to move on to a game with MORE TO DO

Anonymous
February 17, 2005 6:41:48 PM

"Eric J. Hawman" <ejhawman@ameritech.net> wrote in

> While we wait to see how badly SOE has screwed up again, a few
> random thoughts on the all-too-short Omens era, and other recent
> developments in general.
>
> Once again, the new expansion comes too soon. Omens is barely
> five months old and already we have to move on. SOE's operating
> philosophy continues to be: The most effective way to reduce loss
> of subscriptions is to give people new zones to explore. At this rate,
> by 2008 they will be introducing 20 new zones a month, and no one
> will ever set foot in 10 of them because they won't get to them
> before the next expansion a month later...

Damn, you mean I can't go to Omens anymore?

As a guild, we are several expansions behind, we are still working our
way to Time. I still spend time in many of the older expansions, and
expect to continue to do so, along with the newer ones.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 25 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 23 Craftsman
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 9:17:01 PM

Quoth Eric J. Hawman:
> While we wait to see how badly SOE has screwed up again, a few
> random thoughts on the all-too-short Omens era, and other recent
> developments in general.
>
> Once again, the new expansion comes too soon. Omens is barely
> five months old and already we have to move on.

"have to"?

--
"Look at me! I'm the Mont Blanc of dandruff!"
!