Need kick a$$ case fans

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Has anyone seen a review of case fans? I need to get two good 80mm and one 120mm fan. I want lots of cfm but few db any suggestions?
Mbaha

"Work is the curse of the drinking class"

G

I have a new favorite for 80 mm case fans. It is PC Power & Cooling's Thermasense variable speed fan. It speeds up when the temp rises and vice-versa. At 25C it pushes 25cfm and can go as high as 39 cfm at 35C. Sound levels vary from 20 dB at the low end up to 29 dB at the high end.

I put one in my case earlier this week and like it quite a bit. Nice and quiet. Here is the spec page link:

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/alarmandaccesories/accessories/popups/indexthermasense.htm

If you look through their sheets, you will also see their 80mm "Silencer" fan which is fixed speed but delivers 28cfm for only 20dB of noise. Depending on your cooling needs, that might not be enough cfm but it is still a nice quiet fan.

PC Power & Cooling doesn't advertise any 120mm fans and many others I see are noisy. Looking over at www.plycon.com they have a couple of 120's but they rate 42 and 45 dB respectively. They move a lot of air (up to 132 cfm!) but are too loud for my tastes.

The quietest 120mm fans I can find are from our German friends over at www.noisecontrol.de. These are the same people who make the Silverado HSF that Lord Kyro recently reviewed here on Tomshardware. Their specs on two different 120 mm fans are listed in metric units, but a quick conversion indicates that their 55 cfm (94 m³/H) fan is rated at 26 dB and their 67 cfm (114 m³/H) is rated at 32 dB (hope I got those conversions right). These are pretty trick fans made with ceramic slide bearings and, therefore, are a little more expensive. By my calcs, the 67 cfm fan runs about $35. You will also have to pay international shipping on that (and COD I believe). Their English representative (George Schlomka) says that their English ordering site should be up sometime early next week, so it may be easier to figure shipping and prices soon. I doubt you can find any 120 mm fans quieter than that.

Hope this helps.

A scientist will never show any kindness for a theory which he did not start himself. – Mark Twain

G

Cool. Good info and thanks for the link!

A scientist will never show any kindness for a theory which he did not start himself. – Mark Twain