Compaq Presario CD problem

I have an older version Compaq Presario with an AMD-K6 CPU 475 MHz running
Windows 98. With 64 MB memory. I am unable to get work or entertainment CD
programs to run. How can I determine what is wrong with the CD player?
4 answers Last reply
More about compaq presario problem

    By "run" do you mean to automatically run when put into the drive? If so,
    try going into Device Manager in Windows and make sure Auto Insert
    Notification is enabled for the CD ROM drive.
    HH

    "Ronald Smyth" <ronaldsmyth@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have an older version Compaq Presario with an AMD-K6 CPU 475 MHz
    running
    > Windows 98. With 64 MB memory. I am unable to get work or entertainment
    CD
    > programs to run. How can I determine what is wrong with the CD player?

    No. Even if I click on it manually it does not work. I get errors and
    nothing opens.

    "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > By "run" do you mean to automatically run when put into the drive? If so,
    > try going into Device Manager in Windows and make sure Auto Insert
    > Notification is enabled for the CD ROM drive.
    > HH
    >
    > "Ronald Smyth" <ronaldsmyth@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I have an older version Compaq Presario with an AMD-K6 CPU 475 MHz
    > running
    > > Windows 98. With 64 MB memory. I am unable to get work or
    entertainment
    > CD
    > > programs to run. How can I determine what is wrong with the CD player?

    Open up the chassis and make sure all the wires and cables are connected
    properly to it. If they are, consider replacing the drive. It shows up in My
    Computer and Device Manager, so the problem is not software-related.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 01:46:38 GMT, "Ronald Smyth" <ronaldsmyth@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >No. Even if I click on it manually it does not work. I get errors and
    >nothing opens.
    >
    >"HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> By "run" do you mean to automatically run when put into the drive? If so,
    >> try going into Device Manager in Windows and make sure Auto Insert
    >> Notification is enabled for the CD ROM drive.
    >> HH
    >>
    >> "Ronald Smyth" <ronaldsmyth@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > I have an older version Compaq Presario with an AMD-K6 CPU 475 MHz
    >> running
    >> > Windows 98. With 64 MB memory. I am unable to get work or
    >entertainment
    >> CD
    >> > programs to run. How can I determine what is wrong with the CD player?

    Exchange the CDROM with one from a normally working PC and its CDROM. If the
    problem disappears, the first drive is faulty. (Be sure to jumper it
    appropriately, most likely CS....)

Compaq Presario CD-Rom Computers