Delta Black Label 60mm Noise

G

I've heard all the stories of the Delta Black Label 60mm fan. Some compare it to a hair dryer and others say they can barely hear it. I'm contemplating buy a WBK-38. I currently have two Sunon 80mm, Chrome Orb, Blue Orb, power supply fan running in my system. Will there be a significant increase in noise if I get a HSF with a Delta?

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If you plug in the delta while you're holding it in your hand, then yes it does sound quite a bit like a hair dryer (not the loudest one, though).

Part of it depends on what you are used to. If you are running both of those 80mm fans on the side of your case, cooling your pci cards, then the delta will be just barely noticable. You're probably already at 40dB, and the delta's sound is muffled a little from inside the case. It's frequency is at the high end of the 'hearing' spectrum, which makes it distinguishable. If you're used to running 120mm fans at 7volts (33dB), then you will wonder if your computer is taxiing for takeoff when you plug in the delta.
When I run my delta @7v, it seems like it moves more air than my other sunon 60mm running at 12v. And it's just as quiet too.....
You might get just as good of results running a 80mm fan on the heatsink, but you'd probably want to turn the fan around and make a shroud for your heatsink.