HP lj 6mp doesn't print with XP

Hi,

I tried to print with lj 6 mp using WinXP but the printer didn't do
anything but gives an error sign. Somehow it only tries take paper
from tray 1 with manual feed. This printer was working fine with NT4
but I didn't find any differences in settings between these two OS's.
I've heard that this same printer did have the same problem with NT4
in the beginning but nobody remembers how did they fix the problem
back then.

I've tried all drivers that are available in XP, no results. Wonder if
you can help me. I need this printer...

nuuba

What is the error?

HP LaserJet 6MP and 6P Printers - When Printing a Document, the Tray 1 Light Comes on
Steady
ISSUE: When printing with the HP LaserJet 6P printer, the tray 1 light comes on
steady.
SOLUTION: The Tray 1 light comes on to indicate that a command was received to pull
paper from Tray 1. If this is not the desired tray, follow these steps:
1. Locate the Page Setup, Paper Source, or Bin Selection area in the application and
verify that the paper source is set to First Available Tray or Tray 2.
NOTE: The Printer Setup is overridden by the Page Setup, Paper Source, or Bin
Selection in the application.
2. When a document is created with another printer as the default and then converted
to the HP LaserJet 6P/6MP printer, the paper definition is sometimes changed to
Custom. If this is the case, change the paper definition back to letter then the job
should respond normally.
3. If the printer still tries to default to Tray 1, the Tray 1 command is embedded in
the document. Resave the document with the correct settings, exit the program and
then try printing again.
4. If this does not resolve the issue try printing from another application or a
blank new document from this application and contact the program vendor.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"nuuba" <pyryharakka@webinfo.fi> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I tried to print with lj 6 mp using WinXP but the printer didn't do
> anything but gives an error sign. Somehow it only tries take paper
> from tray 1 with manual feed. This printer was working fine with NT4
> but I didn't find any differences in settings between these two OS's.
> I've heard that this same printer did have the same problem with NT4
> in the beginning but nobody remembers how did they fix the problem
> back then.
>
> I've tried all drivers that are available in XP, no results. Wonder if
> you can help me. I need this printer...
>
> nuuba

Hi,

Well, the error sign is that printer tray 1 light is blinking. The
printing job is in the line correct. Also, tray 2 is somehow
dissappeared from the printer settings, there is only tray 1 and tray
3 available. Paper settings haven't changed (A4) but I haven't tried
to change paper settings thru Word or any other application. I also
tried printing thru command prompt but result was no better. I will
try that paper setting change and get back here then. See if that will
be the solution :)

nuuba

"Mary Sauer" <laserdog@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message news:<ehInGYrOEHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> What is the error?
>
> HP LaserJet 6MP and 6P Printers - When Printing a Document, the Tray 1 Light Comes on
> Steady
> ISSUE: When printing with the HP LaserJet 6P printer, the tray 1 light comes on
> steady.
> SOLUTION: The Tray 1 light comes on to indicate that a command was received to pull
> paper from Tray 1. If this is not the desired tray, follow these steps:
> 1. Locate the Page Setup, Paper Source, or Bin Selection area in the application and
> verify that the paper source is set to First Available Tray or Tray 2.
> NOTE: The Printer Setup is overridden by the Page Setup, Paper Source, or Bin
> Selection in the application.
> 2. When a document is created with another printer as the default and then converted
> to the HP LaserJet 6P/6MP printer, the paper definition is sometimes changed to
> Custom. If this is the case, change the paper definition back to letter then the job
> should respond normally.
> 3. If the printer still tries to default to Tray 1, the Tray 1 command is embedded in
> the document. Resave the document with the correct settings, exit the program and
> then try printing again.
> 4. If this does not resolve the issue try printing from another application or a
> blank new document from this application and contact the program vendor.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MS MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://www.mvps.org/msauer/

Hi again,

This time I got right, printer is working again :) I removed Service
Pack's from computer, then installed printer cables and let XP find it
and install drivers for it. After that I tested that the printer
worked ok and installed SP's again. Now it is working fine :D

nuuba

pyryharakka@webinfo.fi (nuuba) wrote in message news:<965e37c6.0405180721.63be0a26@posting.google.com>...
> Hi again,
>
> This time I got right, printer is working again :) I removed Service
> Pack's from computer, then installed printer cables and let XP find it
> and install drivers for it. After that I tested that the printer
> worked ok and installed SP's again. Now it is working fine :D
>
> nuuba

Well, I've some corrections to my posts :) First, I got that printer
working with HP LJ 6MP drivers, not with default drivers (HP LJ 6MP
PostScript) that XP provides. Nowadays my problems seems to be that
the printer is working - not_working randomly. I wonder if there is
any known issues between WinXP Professional drivers and HP LJ 6MP
printer? Any thoughts? It is very annoying to reboot printer and
computer and only 'hope' that it will work this time.

nuuba

Some older printers have trouble if they are on a parallel port and the port
is configured in the BIOS for EPP or ECP.

Try changing the settings in the computer's BIOS configuration to Standard
(or whatever your BIOS calls it).

Also, in Computer Management, Device Manager, check the Settings tab of the
Properties of the Printer Port. You may find that the printer works better
if you select a different radio button in the Filter Resource Method (e.g.
Never use an interrupt).

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing