Microphone for gaming?

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hello everyone.

I am a 3D Vision player that can't play without glasses, i also have a 5.1 sound system in my room, so here is what i want to know, i would like a microphone for gaming that would allow me to play (with the glasses) listening to my 5.1 system and be able to speak on a microphone without pressing any keys... the solution i have for now is i keep my headset on the table... and push to talk but that is not good and also when i speak the microphone gets all the 5.1 sound noise.

i would like to know if there is a direction microphone or something like that, that will catch only my voice on a noisy room room, also that is not fixed on my head no headsets, i know i am waiting for a miracle but maybe there is a miracle around there already and i don't know about it...

if someone know any solution please let me know.

Solution

You're sort of asking to turn lead into gold. There is no microphone short of one strapped to your throat that it going to solely project your voice when you are playing on an open sound system. Those mics that I linked are good at recording sound projected at them, but if you're blasting a game in the background there is no desktop microphone nor boom-mic that is going to somehow silence it. If I had to answer your question, I would say that the amount of background sound it would pick up would be similar, but the sound recorded would also be in higher clarity (your voice included). Now, all of that is well and nice but then...

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

but will the background noise be lower than using normal headset microphones? or it will be even higher?

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

You're sort of asking to turn lead into gold. There is no microphone short of one strapped to your throat that it going to solely project your voice when you are playing on an open sound system. Those mics that I linked are good at recording sound projected at them, but if you're blasting a game in the background there is no desktop microphone nor boom-mic that is going to somehow silence it. If I had to answer your question, I would say that the amount of background sound it would pick up would be similar, but the sound recorded would also be in higher clarity (your voice included). Now, all of that is well and nice but then you have to consider what hardware the people listening to you on the other end are using. Will it be nice enough to distinguish between the better microphone and your headset resting on the desk? Maybe.

Solution

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

yes i knew it was a micracle to find something like that, just wanted to make sure that this miracle didn't existed, i liked your sugestion i will check for a desk microphone like that one maybe a cheaper one close to home, thanks so much for the info.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
The one thing going for the snowball mics, is that you can at least switch them to Unidirectional mode, so they do record in a frontal cone pattern. It might suit your needs, but they are the cheapest quality desktop microphones.

The next best microphone in my opinion is the Zalman Clip-On microphone (which is about 9 dollars), which normally clips onto your headphone cord (but could potentially be hung from a shirt collar) but that is about the extent of mics. Anything beyond those 2 quickly approaches the unreasonable price-range.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

nice option, well i do have a Microsoft wireless receiver on my desktop, maybe is there something for the microsoft X-Box like that? probably it will work on my receiver also.