Printer stops printing if I try to do something else

About a year ago I upgraded my two year old system to
Windows XP Home edition and have been having printer
problems ever since. I downloaded and installed the
latest bios and all drivers for all the hardware. I was
using an HP 932 printer connected through a USB port. I
also have an HP scanner and a SanDisk memory card reader
connected through the USB that work fine. The problem I'm
having is that when I print something, if I try to do
anything else like focusing on another window or calling
up another application the print job hangs up and then
the print queue shows that a print error has occurred. If
I cancel the print job it just stays in the queue. The
only way I can get the error to go auay is to cancel the
job then reboot. I finally gave up on getting the HP
printer to work properly and last week bought a Lexmark
X125 hoping that the problem would go away but it is
exhibiting the same problems as the HP. I have tried
reinstalling all the associated drivers for the USB and
the printer. I've also played with turning off the
spooler and printing directly to the H/W. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.
1 answer Last reply
More about printer stops printing else

    Suggests either corrupted drivers or more likely an insufficient PSU (power
    supply unit) in the PC.

    What wattage is your PSU?
    www.coribright.com

    "Gordon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > About a year ago I upgraded my two year old system to
    > Windows XP Home edition and have been having printer
    > problems ever since. I downloaded and installed the
    > latest bios and all drivers for all the hardware. I was
    > using an HP 932 printer connected through a USB port. I
    > also have an HP scanner and a SanDisk memory card reader
    > connected through the USB that work fine. The problem I'm
    > having is that when I print something, if I try to do
    > anything else like focusing on another window or calling
    > up another application the print job hangs up and then
    > the print queue shows that a print error has occurred. If
    > I cancel the print job it just stays in the queue. The
    > only way I can get the error to go auay is to cancel the
    > job then reboot. I finally gave up on getting the HP
    > printer to work properly and last week bought a Lexmark
    > X125 hoping that the problem would go away but it is
    > exhibiting the same problems as the HP. I have tried
    > reinstalling all the associated drivers for the USB and
    > the printer. I've also played with turning off the
    > spooler and printing directly to the H/W. Any
    > suggestions would be appreciated.

Hewlett Packard Printers Windows XP