Tenebrae Quake is AWESOME

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Have you all heard of Tenebrae Quake? It is more than a GL patch.... ALOT more. It is the biggest Graphics enhancement I've seen downloadable for a game in all history!!!! Even if you don't own Quake, you can Download the shareware versrion of Quake from idsoftware just like i did.

You can't experience the full benefit of Tenebrae without downloading the New Hi-res textures from the Quake Retexturing project site. There is a link to this on the tenebrae homepage.

www.idsoftware.com

The Tenebrae homepage is:

http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net

I'll be looking foward to you Questions/comments/opinions on this subject

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
Hi again, I was astonished by the graphics back when I saw it the first time, just could not make it work with my gf2pro. Any luck with an ati card? Do you need a glide wrapper for it?

Intel Pentium 4 - 400Mhz FSB - 2.4Ghz
- 1152mb pc-133 - Ati Radeon 9700 128Mb

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
They say the minimum is a GeForce 1 card or Radeon 7xxx board. But, William Hammes, the programmer of Tenebrae says that a board with DirectX 8 compliant features is needed to make the experience playable. On my laptop P4 1.6 laptop with 256 megs of RaM and a 32 meg Radeon 7500 DDR video, I can get the game to run and get a nice Preview, get to gock at how well they made the original Quake look with this new engine, but this preview comes at a severe slideshow, but its well worth it just to see how it looks. Now with the Radeon 8500LE board that I have on one of my desktops,the game is definitely playable at 800x600 and 640x480 even though it doesn't run great. My framerate will range anywhere from 7 to 75 frames depending on the location I am at. What's even more interesting is the Develpment f Tenebrae 2 (I think it derived from the basic Quake engine source code as well but completely overhauled it to Hammes own liking, so the game won't be compatible with Original Quake elements anymore. The minimum for Tenebrae 2 will be a GeForce 3/8500. Tenebrae 2 is completely open source engine that should compete well against Doom 3 and HL2's source engine and you won't even have to own Quake to play it. I can't wait until the first release of Tenebrae 2.

P.S. I am glad and thankful I finally got replies on this thread. I thought NOBODY at THGC gave even the slightest interest in this project. I would encourage this project becuase the new engine is open source like Linux and completely free to the pubic to do what they want with it when it is finally release.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I'm interested in trying this tenebrae mod out. What exactly do I need to download? Do I need the full version of Quake III?

Thanks.

--

"I'm a rageaholic."
(<i>starts crying</i>)
"I just can't live without rageahol." - Homer Simpson

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
ROFL! This mod isn't even for Quake 3, but for the original Quake made in 1996, yes Quake 1. And know you only need the shareware version of Quake. I have will soon provide 2 links, because YOU NEED the new high resolution textures in addition to Tenebrae in order for Tenebrae to look correctly because the Tenebrae coders didn't really have the original textures in mind when working on the project.

I'll be back in a jiffy.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
This is the Tenebrae Home page:
<A HREF="http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net" target="_new">http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net</A>

This is the Homepage for the Quake Retexturing Project:
<A HREF="http://www.quake.cz/winclan/qe1/" target="_new">http://www.quake.cz/winclan/qe1/</A>

There is a link to the Quake Shareware version here:
<A HREF="http://www.idsoftware.com/games/quake/quake/" target="_new">http://www.idsoftware.com/games/quake/quake/</A>

This a link to the Tenebrae 2 Project Site:
<A HREF="http://www.tenebrae2.com" target="_new">http://www.tenebrae2.com</A>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'd almost forgotten how much mood these old ID Software games had in them.

With real textures, lighting and shadows it's so much better.

When Quake came out my old K6 system wasn't up to playing it. I quickly forgot about the game. Now I wish I could find my disc. The shareware version isn't going to be good enough.

I do remember Doom I & II. Just the right degree of quiet tension just before shear panic and chaos. Walking through dark halls, flashing lights distracting your concentration and aim... Great gameplay!

Why aren't games this intense and absorbing any longer?

Got to go get those hi-res textures now.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
the Retexturing Project isn't even finished. ITs only completed the textures for the first episode - and that's what Shareware Quake gives to the public is the first episode. However, since the other Quake episodes make use of some of the textures in episode 1, you will see some of textures in high-res and other in low-res in the other episodes. It'll probably look kinda half-baked but I don't know for sure because I only have the shareware version.

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Thanks for the links. Ok, according to the Quake Retexturing Project's FAQ, I am supposed to install tenebrae and put hi-res textures in blah blah blah. It says nothing about Quake the game.

I'm a dumbass when it comes to this stuff, as you probably already know...so could you pretty please give me the steps in leyman's terms?

Do I install Quake, then install Tenebrae, then the textures?

Ok, I just "installed" quake, but I can't get it to run. Do I install tenebrae into quakes directory? ARGGH!

--

"I'm a rageaholic."
(<i>starts crying</i>)
"I just can't live without rageahol." - Homer Simpson

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
This is where I put the new textures - I did not use standard default folders for my Quake installation
C:\Games\Quake_SW2\tenebrae\override

If you used default installation on the original Quake CD you will find a folder
C:\Quake

During the installation of Tenebrae a new folder should have appeared under the Quake folder called Tenebrae

C:\Quake\tenebrae

So, once you have installed tenebrae manually create a folder and title it "override" and put this in the Tenebrae folder

So, now you should have the following folders:

C:\Quake\tenebrae\override

Now open the "override" directory and unzip all of the texture files here. Before you do this, make sure that you have downloaded all of the updates to the textures. They may have zipped all updates into 1 large zip file. Unzip (extract) all of the textures in the "override folder"

I hope this clears things up.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
If you have Windows XP, Quake won't run until you have Tenebrae installed.

thaloc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2002
Tenebrare looks very nice, but is hardly playable with all aye-candy on (I have P4 1.4 with Radeon 9500Pro). When I first tried it in December 2002 (when I got my shiny new 9500Pro :) it was very slow - I was getting like 15fps in narrow corridors, and 3-4 fps in larger areas. Now it runs about 3-4 times faster, and I hope there is still room for improvement.
There is another fine Quake 1 graphics engine called Telejano, which may not have all eye-candy effects that Tenebrae has, but is meant for playing - it looks very nice, and works very fast. Of course textures from Quake Retexturing project work with Telejano too.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
That's awkward. I think I was able to hold out better on my 8500LE with better scores than that. I was running it on an 1800+ system as opposed to a 1.4GHz but still your video should be better than mine. I have tried Telejano, but it looks alot like the old GLQuake to me. But thats the only one I can honestly play on my P4 Laptop with a Radeon 7500C :smile:

thaloc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2002
With all options to default (in 630x480x32, no AA or AF), I got 23-26 fps in that view when you start a new game and don't move. Turning glares on takes fps down do 11-13. What are your scores?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I finally got the Hi-Res textures. Very shiny surfaces now. The game looks incredible, except for the bot models. It's funny seeing those old low-polygon models.

I have a problem with the water and biotoxin. It's hard to tell the difference. The glare/glow is too bright. This is just when looking down at surface. Is it supposed to be this way? Under the water it looks good.

I'm getting in the low 20's for framerates at 800x600 with default settings. The old 8500 just can't take it.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
That framerate is about what I get. I heard that there is a patch to fix that water bug. Strange thing is, I haven't even downloaded it yet [schock]! I have an 8500 LE on an 1800+ desktop.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I was complaining about the ancient looking models but I've since found the monster skins. (I guess I just assumed that everything I would need for Tenebrae would be in that one big file).

The new skins/meshes add another depth to the game.

Unfortunately, they also decrease the framerates even further. I'm now bordering on the single digits in some of the sequences.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Same link you provided, the download page. Right under the big hi-res textures file are the Monster skins.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Ok thanks Phsstpok? What does your user name stand for buy the way?