Using generic data cable as a modem VX6100

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I bought a USB data cable from Eforcity and it works fine using Bitpim
to download phonebook, wallpaper etc. and even claims to be a wireless
modem. I tried to use it with my laptop to dial a dialup ISP, but of
cource there is no dialtone and the Windows XP gives a "no dialtone"
message. Other than buying Verizon's Mobile Office Kit, what can I do?
18 answers Last reply
More about using generic data cable modem vx6100
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    jimh said the following on 2/7/2005 7:59 AM:
    > I bought a USB data cable from Eforcity and it works fine using Bitpim
    > to download phonebook, wallpaper etc. and even claims to be a wireless
    > modem. I tried to use it with my laptop to dial a dialup ISP, but of
    > cource there is no dialtone and the Windows XP gives a "no dialtone"
    > message. Other than buying Verizon's Mobile Office Kit, what can I do?
    >

    You need to have the drivers for your phone installed to use it as a
    modem. If you go to the Yahoo group InternetByCellPhone they will have
    the software needed in the files section. I believe it is the QuickLink
    software. Install that and it should get you up and running. There is
    also a LGVX6100 group at Yahoo. Both very helpful.

    --

    Kirk

    "Screw the planes, take a train", Me
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    jimh wrote:
    > I bought a USB data cable from Eforcity and it works fine using Bitpim
    > to download phonebook, wallpaper etc. and even claims to be a wireless
    > modem. I tried to use it with my laptop to dial a dialup ISP, but of
    > cource there is no dialtone and the Windows XP gives a "no dialtone"
    > message. Other than buying Verizon's Mobile Office Kit, what can I do?

    Create a new entry in dialup, use a standard modem, and make sure you
    UNCHECK the box that says "check for dial tone before dialing". You can't
    change it in properties for an existing entry, you have to add a new one and
    make sure to uncheck the box.

    You already have XP, and the Standard modem should work with low speed, as
    long as you uncheck the box..
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Does it work if you connect to VZW network using #777 for the number?
    Google for the details.

    Connecting to modems is iffy anyway and often slower than using the VZW
    network, even if you are stuck on Q2N @ 14,400.

    "jimh" <jdh449@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1107791950.611647.290940@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
    >I bought a USB data cable from Eforcity and it works fine using Bitpim
    > to download phonebook, wallpaper etc. and even claims to be a wireless
    > modem. I tried to use it with my laptop to dial a dialup ISP, but of
    > cource there is no dialtone and the Windows XP gives a "no dialtone"
    > message. Other than buying Verizon's Mobile Office Kit, what can I do?
    >
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    I haven't found a cable or driver that *WON'T* work with #777 yet, (as long
    as you are in a verizon native area and some extended's).. Even when using
    QWK2NET you can use #777.
    If you use the standard driver in XP you can only use Q2N though (max baud
    rate of the standard driver is usually 19,200.

    (as per the previous post, also have always used the standard driver to
    directly dial my ISP.. hey free Long Distance, so what if I call a direct
    number thousands of miles away)


    cricket wrote:
    > Does it work if you connect to VZW network using #777 for the number?
    > Google for the details.
    >
    > Connecting to modems is iffy anyway and often slower than using the
    > VZW network, even if you are stuck on Q2N @ 14,400.
    >
    > "jimh" <jdh449@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:1107791950.611647.290940@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
    >> I bought a USB data cable from Eforcity and it works fine using
    >> Bitpim to download phonebook, wallpaper etc. and even claims to be a
    >> wireless modem. I tried to use it with my laptop to dial a dialup
    >> ISP, but of cource there is no dialtone and the Windows XP gives a
    >> "no dialtone" message. Other than buying Verizon's Mobile Office
    >> Kit, what can I do?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Thanks... I tried Quicklink and had the VX6100/laptop working in 5
    minutes.
    jimh
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in
    news:36qaehF56oflaU1@individual.net:
    > (as per the previous post, also have always used the standard
    > driver to directly dial my ISP.. hey free Long Distance, so what
    > if I call a direct number thousands of miles away)

    Hey thanks for that tip, I didn't think about instead of using the #777
    connection, to just dial my ISP's modem pool. It sure solves that
    email sending and newsgroup server problem.

    I was just wondering, about those #777 connections. They have 2
    different AT commands that you enter at the modem's properties, not the
    dialer properties. Can the dialer specify the AT commands instead of
    needing to go to the modem Advance tab in Control Panel?

    Luckily, the modem AT commands don't interfere with my ability to
    dialup my ISP, but it does affect the ability to change connections
    between Q2N and NationalAccess.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Sharon Westfall wrote:
    > "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in
    > news:36qaehF56oflaU1@individual.net:
    >> (as per the previous post, also have always used the standard
    >> driver to directly dial my ISP.. hey free Long Distance, so what
    >> if I call a direct number thousands of miles away)
    >
    > Hey thanks for that tip, I didn't think about instead of using the
    > #777 connection, to just dial my ISP's modem pool. It sure solves
    > that email sending and newsgroup server problem.
    >
    > I was just wondering, about those #777 connections. They have 2
    > different AT commands that you enter at the modem's properties, not
    > the dialer properties. Can the dialer specify the AT commands
    > instead of needing to go to the modem Advance tab in Control Panel?
    >
    > Luckily, the modem AT commands don't interfere with my ability to
    > dialup my ISP, but it does affect the ability to change connections
    > between Q2N and NationalAccess.

    Not sure what you mean /have.. On my XP, I just create a Dial-up networking
    entry with the standard modem and the number to call as #777.

    if you are in a verizon area (and many extended areas) it actually connects
    to the local server rather than call a LD number (usually takes a second or
    less), so it is also much faster and doesn't take long for redial if the
    connection drops (no modem negoting speeds etc).

    Just out of the blue, a neuron fired in my brain and I remembered some AT
    commands for setting the connection speed. If you only use the slower
    Quick2Net, you don't need them, if however you actually want to create two
    entries (one for Q2N and one for 1X/NA/Express) you can do that, but you not
    only have to add the setup strings, but have to change the connect speed
    (faster than dialup) and the server login.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Peter Pan wrote:
    > Sharon Westfall wrote:
    >> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in
    >> news:36qaehF56oflaU1@individual.net:
    >>> (as per the previous post, also have always used the standard
    >>> driver to directly dial my ISP.. hey free Long Distance, so what
    >>> if I call a direct number thousands of miles away)
    >>
    >> Hey thanks for that tip, I didn't think about instead of using the
    >> #777 connection, to just dial my ISP's modem pool. It sure solves
    >> that email sending and newsgroup server problem.
    >>
    >> I was just wondering, about those #777 connections. They have 2
    >> different AT commands that you enter at the modem's properties, not
    >> the dialer properties. Can the dialer specify the AT commands
    >> instead of needing to go to the modem Advance tab in Control Panel?
    >>
    >> Luckily, the modem AT commands don't interfere with my ability to
    >> dialup my ISP, but it does affect the ability to change connections
    >> between Q2N and NationalAccess.
    >
    > Not sure what you mean /have.. On my XP, I just create a Dial-up
    > networking entry with the standard modem and the number to call as
    > #777.
    > if you are in a verizon area (and many extended areas) it actually
    > connects to the local server rather than call a LD number (usually
    > takes a second or less), so it is also much faster and doesn't take
    > long for redial if the connection drops (no modem negoting speeds
    > etc).
    > Just out of the blue, a neuron fired in my brain and I remembered
    > some AT commands for setting the connection speed. If you only use
    > the slower Quick2Net, you don't need them, if however you actually
    > want to create two entries (one for Q2N and one for 1X/NA/Express)
    > you can do that, but you not only have to add the setup strings, but
    > have to change the connect speed (faster than dialup) and the server
    > login.

    PS Sorry, forgot to paste the strings...
    >>
    >>> try putting this in as your init string: AT$QCMDR=2
    >>
    >>> change it to AT$QCMDR=3 for the express/1X/NA network
    >>
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in
    news:36thmsF57nc59U1@individual.net:

    >> Just out of the blue, a neuron fired in my brain and I remembered
    >> some AT commands for setting the connection speed. If you only use
    >> the slower Quick2Net, you don't need them, if however you actually
    >> want to create two entries (one for Q2N and one for 1X/NA/Express)
    >> you can do that, but you not only have to add the setup strings, but
    >> have to change the connect speed (faster than dialup) and the server
    >> login.
    >
    > PS Sorry, forgot to paste the strings...
    >>>> try putting this in as your init string: AT$QCMDR=2
    >>>> change it to AT$QCMDR=3 for the express/1X/NA network

    Yes, that's the AT commands I'm talking about. I have to enter it in
    Control Panel under the "Phone and Modem Options" icon. If I wanted to
    switch between Q2N & NA, I have to go back to Control Panel to change
    that string. Or is there a way to save it in the Network Connections
    dialers?

    Regardless, the above 2 options don't work when I'm trying to send
    email using Eudora, or accessing the Usenet, using Xnews. I like your
    idea of going back to my ISP's dialup, it's like being home, except
    much much slower.... but still better than nothing, and after 9pm, it
    doesn't even cost minutes.

    I feel so high tech with my cell phone modem! My daughter's phone
    would be even more amazing... she's got the V710 and she won't even
    have to physically attach the phone to the computer. Now if we could
    just get free broadband.... :-)
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Sharon Westfall wrote:
    > "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in
    > news:36thmsF57nc59U1@individual.net:
    >
    >>> Just out of the blue, a neuron fired in my brain and I remembered
    >>> some AT commands for setting the connection speed. If you only use
    >>> the slower Quick2Net, you don't need them, if however you actually
    >>> want to create two entries (one for Q2N and one for 1X/NA/Express)
    >>> you can do that, but you not only have to add the setup strings, but
    >>> have to change the connect speed (faster than dialup) and the server
    >>> login.
    >>
    >> PS Sorry, forgot to paste the strings...
    >>>>> try putting this in as your init string: AT$QCMDR=2
    >>>>> change it to AT$QCMDR=3 for the express/1X/NA network
    >
    > Yes, that's the AT commands I'm talking about. I have to enter it in
    > Control Panel under the "Phone and Modem Options" icon. If I wanted
    > to switch between Q2N & NA, I have to go back to Control Panel to
    > change that string. Or is there a way to save it in the Network
    > Connections dialers?
    >
    Depends on what version of windows you are using (forgot or never knew what
    you had). In XP at least, you can put them in as extra info for each dial up
    entry, so the proper string is sent automatically as part of each Dial up
    entry.


    > Regardless, the above 2 options don't work when I'm trying to send
    > email using Eudora, or accessing the Usenet, using Xnews. I like your
    > idea of going back to my ISP's dialup, it's like being home, except
    > much much slower.... but still better than nothing, and after 9pm, it
    > doesn't even cost minutes.
    >

    (again depends on which version of windows you have.) Most people use the
    default connections in each program. I set them up so they never dial a
    connection, which forces them to use the internal lan buffers (ie you can
    connect via dial-up/WiFi/cellphone/network/etc) and the programs always work
    the same no matter how you connect. I'm using the internal card right now).
    In your programs, check the options/connections tab

    As for the dial to the ISP idea, maybe I didn't explain that real well. I
    travel a lot for work, and While the QNC and higher speed always works in
    Verizon areas, and sometimes in extended areas, they are both packet
    switched and require a network at the provider. For the times I am stuck
    somewhere in a digital extended area but the local provider has no network
    (for the #777 to connect to) I keep a backup DUN entry for Quick2Net direct
    to my ISP (I have 3 entries, one High speed to #777, one low speed to #777,
    and the third to my isp's long distance number). Luckily I have only had to
    use it a few times.... It is way way slow compared to my NationalAccess and
    BroadbandAccess connects, but even if you can use #777 locally, it is a
    whole lot faster than dialing, and since I travel a lot, saves me from
    changing to local phone numbers everytime I travel (which is about 99.427%
    of the time, I don't travel on holidays)


    > I feel so high tech with my cell phone modem! My daughter's phone
    > would be even more amazing... she's got the V710 and she won't even
    > have to physically attach the phone to the computer. Now if we could
    > just get free broadband.... :-)

    Just to annoy you, I'm on vacation in Las Vegas in motel, with my wireless
    network, and have a card in one of my laptops that is always on, with EVDO
    connections (broadband and cell combo, about 500 kb... they call it
    BroadbandAccess, and since it's a card in the computer, I don't have my
    phone near the computer either :) (in case you or anyone lurking is curious,
    I decided that besides xmas, new years, and turkey day, the Superbowl rated
    a vacation this year too)

    While there are a few new phones out now that do Broadband (came out feb
    1st), it's not the VX6100 :)
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Sharon Westfall wrote:

    >>
    >> PS Sorry, forgot to paste the strings...
    >>>>> try putting this in as your init string: AT$QCMDR=2
    >>>>> change it to AT$QCMDR=3 for the express/1X/NA network
    >
    > Yes, that's the AT commands I'm talking about. I have to enter it in
    > Control Panel under the "Phone and Modem Options" icon. If I wanted
    > to switch between Q2N & NA, I have to go back to Control Panel to
    > change that string. Or is there a way to save it in the Network
    > Connections dialers?
    >

    Answers... I use Mobile Office and don't have to worry about em... (the
    software send em automatically, before dialing)

    Since you can use the high speed at the cost of minutes (same as Quick 2 Net
    which is much slower), why would you ever want to switch? If you have free
    N&W, you even use the same free time, at higher speed, than if you use the
    lower speed, so why use the lower speed? I bet once you use the higher speed
    you will very rarely (if ever) use the slow speed.

    There is a possibility, but I really don't want to try it until free time
    kicks in at 9PM....

    I'm curious, between doing the setup stuff, having the exact drivers for
    your phone, allowing the use of venturi compression when desired, and the
    price reduction of Mobile Office (it's about $34.99 now) not to mention you
    can order it online and have it shipped to your door, install it and have it
    working in a matter of minutes, why try and do it yourself another way (and
    take days to do it)? (since it comes on cd's, you can also reinstall it
    after a system crash, so already have a backup <-- handy/important when
    traveling, computers always seem to die at 2AM in a hotel away from home)
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in
    news:36ucmbF56foucU1@individual.net:

    > Sharon Westfall wrote:
    >> Yes, that's the AT commands I'm talking about. I have to enter
    >> it in Control Panel under the "Phone and Modem Options" icon. If
    >> I wanted to switch between Q2N & NA, I have to go back to Control
    >> Panel to change that string. Or is there a way to save it in the
    >> Network Connections dialers?
    >>
    > Depends on what version of windows you are using (forgot or never
    > knew what you had). In XP at least, you can put them in as extra
    > info for each dial up entry, so the proper string is sent
    > automatically as part of each Dial up entry.

    I use XP; where do you enter the xtra info in the dialup entry?

    >> Regardless, the above 2 options don't work when I'm trying to
    >> send email using Eudora, or accessing the Usenet, using Xnews.
    >
    > (again depends on which version of windows you have.) Most people
    > use the default connections in each program. I set them up so they
    > never dial a connection, which forces them to use the internal lan
    > buffers (ie you can connect via
    > dial-up/WiFi/cellphone/network/etc) and the programs always work
    > the same no matter how you connect. I'm using the internal card
    > right now). In your programs, check the options/connections tab

    It's not Windows or my software program, it's the server
    (vzw3g.com?). My ISP won't allow me to send mail through them,
    through verizon. But there's no smtp.vzw3g.com to send mail through.
    And there's no news.vzw3g.com either.

    > (I have 3 entries, one High speed to #777, one low speed to
    > #777, and the third to my isp's long distance number).

    I don't travel alot, but I do want to get this thing down for when I
    do travel. I want to have 4 entries actually the Q2N, NA, LavaNet
    and Roadrunner.

    > Just to annoy you, I'm on vacation in Las Vegas in motel, with my
    > wireless network, and have a card in one of my laptops that is
    > always on, with EVDO connections (broadband and cell combo, about
    > 500 kb... they call it BroadbandAccess, and since it's a card in
    > the computer, I don't have my phone near the computer either :)
    > (in case you or anyone lurking is curious, I decided that besides
    > xmas, new years, and turkey day, the Superbowl rated a vacation
    > this year too)

    Hey-hey-hey.. I said free broadband! And you can't use your EVDO
    card as a phone, so it's not as cool as a phone that can be used as a
    modem.

    First time I hooked up my phone to my computer in the car, my
    daughter commented, "Wow, the router works this far from home?"
    When I told her it wasn't the router connection, she was floored!
    "You gotta get me that too, mom!" Heh, high tech mom strikes again!

    > While there are a few new phones out now that do Broadband (came
    > out feb 1st), it's not the VX6100 :)

    Yeah, well, they won't work in Paia Maui... ^_^
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    In article <36ucmbF56foucU1@individual.net>, Peter Pan wrote:
    > While there are a few new phones out now that do Broadband (came out feb
    > 1st), it's not the VX6100 :)

    Oh and I forgot to mention, I know I'm on a VX6100 thread, but I'm using a
    Samsung SCH-A650.

    And another thing that you mentioned about setting up your dialer to
    connect much faster with NA, where is that setting? I thought the only
    difference was the login name and password. BTW I'm on XP Home Edition,
    not Pro, so maybe there's a difference in dialer setup?
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Sharon T G Westfall wrote:
    > In article <36ucmbF56foucU1@individual.net>, Peter Pan wrote:
    >> While there are a few new phones out now that do Broadband (came out
    >> feb 1st), it's not the VX6100 :)
    >
    > Oh and I forgot to mention, I know I'm on a VX6100 thread, but I'm
    > using a Samsung SCH-A650.
    >
    > And another thing that you mentioned about setting up your dialer to
    > connect much faster with NA, where is that setting? I thought the
    > only difference was the login name and password. BTW I'm on XP Home
    > Edition, not Pro, so maybe there's a difference in dialer setup?

    Samsung SCH-A650 doesn't do BroadBandAccess either, but then again, as far
    as I can tell, they don't have active EVDO service in Hawaii yet anyway....

    Haven't forgotten about the dialer setup q... I use Mobile Office (does it
    automatically) so I'll have to do it in native mode so I can tell you the
    steps.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Sharon T G Westfall wrote:
    > Oh and I forgot to mention, I know I'm on a VX6100 thread, but I'm
    > using a Samsung SCH-A650.
    >
    > And another thing that you mentioned about setting up your dialer to
    > connect much faster with NA, where is that setting? I thought the
    > only difference was the login name and password. BTW I'm on XP Home
    > Edition, not Pro, so maybe there's a difference in dialer setup?

    The standard (generic) driver that comes with windows, only does 19,200 max.
    You need a specific driver for your phone, and depending on the phone
    driver, can be set to a max baud rate of something like 115kb or 230kb.

    Once you install the driver, when you add a connection, it asks what driver
    to use, you tell it the new one for your phone, and then the new max baud
    rates show up...
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Hi,
    I am green to this forum.

    I have a vx6100 and bought the same usb data cable from Eforcity. The
    issue is I can not get it to work. I have dell demension running XP
    sp2 and using the usb connection on my keyboard. I also found and
    installed bitpim but that too will not detect the port that the phone
    is connected to either. Also xp keeps saying that it found the new
    hardware installs the nesseary driver, but then tells me there is an
    error. The instructions that came with the cable were confusing for
    that you follow the directions on the package and then you realize the
    other instructions on the cd are different.

    Can you tell me what preceedures you did get yours to work and or any
    suggestions?

    Thanks for any help or advise in advance,
    John
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    In article <36vf3vF55f3ulU1@individual.net>, Peter Pan wrote:
    > Since you can use the high speed at the cost of minutes (same as Quick 2 Net
    > which is much slower), why would you ever want to switch? If you have free
    > N&W, you even use the same free time, at higher speed, than if you use the
    > lower speed, so why use the lower speed? I bet once you use the higher speed
    > you will very rarely (if ever) use the slow speed.

    I dunno, I was thinking there may be locations where NA doesn't work? Is
    it a digital only network? Maui's coverage is splotchy. And actually I
    do have the Mobile Office Kit (actually, I have the wrong one. It's for
    the 310 not 650, but the drivers and software seemed to work fine). I
    installed it, then decided to try without it. My connection shows the
    higher speed (was it 230, not 14.4?); I want to install something that
    reads the actual speed... or just use a speed test website.

    I got the kit (Verizon not generic) on Ebay, for under $10.

    > I'm curious, between doing the setup stuff, having the exact drivers for
    > your phone, allowing the use of venturi compression when desired, and the
    > price reduction of Mobile Office (it's about $34.99 now) not to mention you
    > can order it online and have it shipped to your door, install it and have it
    > working in a matter of minutes, why try and do it yourself another way (and
    > take days to do it)?

    Cause I like testing things? :-) I also want to see if I can connect to
    other laptops without installing software.

    BTW, I checked w/ someone I know at my ISP, there might be something I can
    do in Eudora to connect to their pop server. The usenet reader though,
    won't work when accessing from another server.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Sharon T G Westfall wrote:
    > In article <36vf3vF55f3ulU1@individual.net>, Peter Pan wrote:
    >> Since you can use the high speed at the cost of minutes (same as
    >> Quick 2 Net which is much slower), why would you ever want to
    >> switch? If you have free N&W, you even use the same free time, at
    >> higher speed, than if you use the lower speed, so why use the lower
    >> speed? I bet once you use the higher speed you will very rarely (if
    >> ever) use the slow speed.
    >
    > I dunno, I was thinking there may be locations where NA doesn't work?
    > Is it a digital only network? Maui's coverage is splotchy.

    There are locations where qwk2net will work but NA won't. However...
    Quick2net works like voice (circuit switched, not packet) and your backup
    QWK2NET that dials the ISP direct, with free long distance, should suffice
    for a backup. If you can use the #777, makes more sense to get you going at
    high speed, rather than do the slow speed/same as if you call long distance.
    Once you get the thing working at 10 times the speed of QWK2NET, why would
    you want to use the slower one in a high speed 1X area?


    > actually I do have the Mobile Office Kit (actually, I have the wrong
    > one. It's for the 310 not 650, but the drivers and software seemed to
    > work fine). I installed it, then decided to try without it. My
    > connection shows the higher speed (was it 230, not 14.4?); I want to
    > install something that reads the actual speed... or just use a speed
    > test website.
    >
    > I got the kit (Verizon not generic) on Ebay, for under $10.
    >
    >> I'm curious, between doing the setup stuff, having the exact drivers
    >> for your phone, allowing the use of venturi compression when
    >> desired, and the price reduction of Mobile Office (it's about $34.99
    >> now) not to mention you can order it online and have it shipped to
    >> your door, install it and have it working in a matter of minutes,
    >> why try and do it yourself another way (and take days to do it)?
    >
    > Cause I like testing things? :-) I also want to see if I can connect
    > to other laptops without installing software.

    You can use other stuff for testing, but the kit actually makes some hidden
    changes.

    As for the speed reported on the system tray icon, be aware that there are
    DTE (Data Terminal Equipment) and DCE (Data Communication Equipment) Speeds.
    Your system only shows the max speed of the driver, no matter what the
    actual connect speed is (it will show connected at 14.4/19.2 since that is
    the max driver baud rate, no matter what speed you actually connect at with
    qwk2net)

    Unfortunately, they only show the max DRIVER speed, not the actual
    connection speed.

    Considering that, you may want to reconsider the benefits of using MO.

    >
    > BTW, I checked w/ someone I know at my ISP, there might be something
    > I can do in Eudora to connect to their pop server. The usenet reader
    > though, won't work when accessing from another server.

    What usenet reader are you using that has a problem? I have run across a few
    that you have to connect direct to the ISP or it wont work (bad with
    WiFI/networks at hotels etc), but consider getting a free german news server
    account (apply for a FREE account at http://news.individual.net/) That is
    free, and works from anywhere.
Ask a new question

Read More

Verizon Cable Internet Service Providers Product