Unable to detect USB printer

May 17, 2004 1:56:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

XP SP2 with USB2 support doesnt detect Canon I70 printer on USB. If i manually select the port as "USB local" which canons setup creates it states the printer has been added but doesnt communicate wioth printer. Installing as admin.

Any ideas or does XP just not do this well?
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 3:00:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

a) XP SP2 is currently NOT supported. It is still in beta testing.

b) Uninstall the printer as per the instructions at:
STOP after Step 5.

c) Uninstall the USB ports from the Device Manager.

Reboot the PC. XP should redetect and reinstall the USB ports.

Now go to the Canon website and download a new set of drivers.
http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprDriversTypeSystemV2...

The file you need is i70_2KXP_v163.exe

Install the software. Do NOT connect the printer until the software tells
you to do so. If you are still having problems, try a different USB cable.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

Download
"HarriedAdmin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> XP SP2 with USB2 support doesnt detect Canon I70 printer on USB. If i
> manually select the port as "USB local" which canons setup creates it
> states the printer has been added but doesnt communicate wioth printer.
> Installing as admin.
>
> Any ideas or does XP just not do this well?
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 5:37:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Cari,

Thank you. That didnt work but the theory was sound. Canons I70 wasnt detected by the hardware bus, so the installation wouldnt proceed. There are so many conditions for Plug and Play to work correctly in XP, and the hardware and driver just werent up to WHQL standards. I switched to a HP printer and everything works FINE!

!