Faxing using XP

I am unable to install the fax component that comes with
Windows. says I need to insert XP service pack 1. I try
to browse to find the file needed since I have serv pack
1 and the file cannot be found. (fxsapi)Can anyone tell
me where to download it or what to do?

Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about faxing

    If your installation of Windows XP was from a CD, you will be prompted to
    insert the CD and may need to browse to the i386 Folder so the installation
    routine can find the necessary files. If your installation files are on the
    hard drive, you may need to direct the routine to the i386 Folder there. If
    you have applied SP1, these files may have been moved to a different folder
    (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the routine to that
    folder.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    "Jenz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am unable to install the fax component that comes with
    > Windows. says I need to insert XP service pack 1. I try
    > to browse to find the file needed since I have serv pack
    > 1 and the file cannot be found. (fxsapi)Can anyone tell
    > me where to download it or what to do?
    >
    > Thanks

    Thank you for the info. I looked in previous replys and
    looked for the files you stated. I don't have that file
    on my computer nor is "servicepackfiles". I found the
    driver on another website, installed it, and now I can't
    find it. the search will not find it either...
    Is there another free fax program I can download to use
    instead?

    You can't download these files. How was Windows XP installed on your system?
    It is up to your OEM to supply these files.

    When the installation routine is unable to find the necessary installation
    files (even when directed to the appropriate i386 Folder) it usually means
    that the installation files are compressed. This is often the case when the
    files are pre-copied by a manufacturer on the hard drive. If you do a search
    for the files that the installation routine claims are missing (fxsapi.dll
    and fxcfgwz.dll) you won't find them, but you will find fxsapi.dl_ and
    fxcfgwz.dl_. These are compressed DLL files and will need to be
    decompressed. Double click on them and you will get a prompt for the file to
    use to open them. Click on BROWSE. and select Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor,
    which is in the system folder. With any luck it will uncompress them all and
    make them visible as DLL files. The install routine still may not find these
    files. If so, then you must manually direct the installation routine to the
    i386 folder that contains these extracted files.

    --
    > Thank you for the info. I looked in previous replys and
    > looked for the files you stated. I don't have that file
    > on my computer nor is "servicepackfiles". I found the
    > driver on another website, installed it, and now I can't
    > find it. the search will not find it either...
    > Is there another free fax program I can download to use
    > instead?

    I have the same problem as Jenz. I did search for the
    compressed files also and they are not found, so there
    are no files to decompress. Please further advise.

    -Stacey

    You first.
    At the very least provide information on the medium from which Windows XP
    was installed. I have already posted all relevant information.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    > You first.
    > At the very least provide information on the medium from which Windows XP
    > was installed. I have already posted all relevant information.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]

    If the files are not in c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386 (in my case, only
    one of them was(fxsapi.dll) and they are in sp1a, maybe they may be found in
    the sp1a download
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/network.asp. I
    would be amazed if the OEM had them. I have a Dell XP install disk and had
    to download sp1a from Microsoft. Note: As I read the posts, the issue is
    solely where the sp1a files are, not the original XP install files.

    Dick Kistler

    Hi Russ,

    Win XP was installed via my Win XP Pro CD.

    Thanx,
    Stacey

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Have you applied SP1 since you installed Windows XP?

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    > Hi Russ,
    >
    > Win XP was installed via my Win XP Pro CD.
    >
    > Thanx,
    > Stacey

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Russ, yes SP1 is installed.

    Stacey

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Then please refer to the information I already posted in this thread. I will
    repost it:

    > Russ, yes SP1 is installed.
    >
    > Stacey

Fax Microsoft Windows XP