Sign in with
Your question

Computer Locks up During intense game, help needed.

Last response: in Video Games
April 21, 2012 1:18:12 AM

Hello, as you can guess from the title, I've been having trouble with my computer shutting off mid game. Well let me describe that in more detail, after 20-30 mins of playing a high end game (such as Crysis, Deus Ex, Assassins Creed, ect.) my screen stops displaying images like I unplugged the video cable and my computer locks up. All of my fans are still spinning I just can't access anything at all. My pc specs are:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
GPU: ATI Radeon 5830
Mother Board: ASUS M4A78
Power Supply: Rosewill 500w
RAM: 5GB DDR2 (2x2GB, 1x1GB)

I also have a mid tower Rosewill case with four 120mm fans and one 140mm fan. I've tried a ton of different things to solve the issue, but to no avail. First i tried cleaning out the system with canned air. After that, I used the program speed fan to monitor the temp of my PC to check overheating issues. My graphics card got up too 65-70 degrees Celsius before the screen went black. To cut down on the temp, I manually raised the fan speed on my graphics card to around 90% and lowered the memory clock to about 900 MHz (down from 1200 MHz). This brought the temp to around 50-55 degrees Celsius under load, and still would black screen. I've tried replacing the graphics card with a known good one and the issue still remained.

When I check event viewer for an error code, it only shows the unexpected shutdown code, and the unclean shut down code, and that's it. I can't think of anything else other then trying a new power supply, but I don't have one around and I'm not sure that is the issue. Does anyone have an suggestions to help me out?

April 21, 2012 1:56:26 AM

check bios for the hpet (high precision event timer) is enabled and set to match the bitrate of your o.s.
also check your temps with apps like realtemp/gpu-z and or coretemp.

my m8 had an issue like this with his 4850 it was later found that his vrm modules on the gpu were overheating and causing the gpu to lock up causing the rest of the machine to...
gpu-z will help you find out if this is true. you have to scroll down the sensors page to see them as there at the bottom of the list.

April 21, 2012 11:54:15 PM

HEXiT said:
check bios for the hpet (high precision event timer) is enabled and set to match the bitrate of your o.s.
also check your temps with apps like realtemp/gpu-z and or coretemp.

my m8 had an issue like this with his 4850 it was later found that his vrm modules on the gpu were overheating and causing the gpu to lock up causing the rest of the machine to...
gpu-z will help you find out if this is true. you have to scroll down the sensors page to see them as there at the bottom of the list.

Checked my temps like stated earlier and it still shuts off around 55 degrees C. I couldn't find hpet within my bios and I'm not quite sure how it works. Is their any other test/solutions you can think of that could fix the problem?
Related resources
April 22, 2012 12:01:25 AM

underpowered psu imho
April 22, 2012 1:10:58 AM

13thmonkey said:
underpowered psu imho

Defiantly a possibility, the odd thing is all the fans keep going and everything after the screen goes black. I'll have to buy a completely new one to test it unfortunately but I'm out of options I can think of. Though don't get me wrong I have little idea what I'm doing, so if anybody else has any input that'd be great.
!