Print Fax Questions

Using XP Pro on Dell computer -

I have run into intermittent problems faxing from the computer. The fax
works fine for local and manually entered long distance numbers. Here are
my questions:

1) Once a fax is in the outbox of the fax console, is there any way to
change its fax number? Is there any way to manually trigger it to try
again once it failed and is waithing for its retry time to elaspe (I realize
you can view it, and go through the entire print to fax process again,
filling everything out again, to create a new outbox fax, and delete the
original one still in the outbox, but that is not particularly quick to do)?

2) If I enter a long distance fax receipeint via the address book with the
"use dialing rules" checked, It seems to dial it without the 1 before the
area code so it fails. If I manually enter in the AC and 7 digit number
(there is no place to manully enter a 1), again with dialing rules checked,
it does add the 1 in front of the number, and works fine. Changing the
dialing rules to add 1 for a long distance call does not change the behavior
(and is impractical anyway becuase then it screws up your speed dialing from
Outlook, creating a number like 1 1 800-555-1212 which fails).

3) I have multiple address books, that seem to appear in alphabetical
order. Is there a way to designate the default address book so it will be
choosen automatically?

4) Is there a way to add a Fax button, menu item or local menu item (when
highliting an outlook contact, like the email New Message option) without
having to change your printer? Or, after faxing via the printer, to
automatically change it back to your default printer?

5) The Fax Monitor used to display while sending a fax, showing me exactly
what was going on. It does not display, and when I manually display it, and
a fax is sent, it displays no information. Keep this dialog visible at all
times is checked.

6) I get the following Norton Antivirus whenever I use the print to fax - I
click OK and the fax works fine.
"High Risk - attempt to connect to local computer using the Netspy Trojan
horse detected." I have run Norton Antivirus with the latest definitions,
and there are not viruses present. This only seems to happen after I scan
something in from the Dell Printer and then fax. I know how to disable this
error within Norton for this specific instance, but I don't understand why I
am getting it. I currently have it disabled.

Thanks for your help.

Bob Day
3 answers Last reply
More about print questions

    1) No.

    2)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318575&Product=winxp

    3) Define what you mean by multiple address books. Windows Address Books?
    Outlook Address Books? How did you configure Fax?

    4) No.

    5 and 6) A number of standard update and repair procedures disabled the Fax
    Monitor in the initial release of Windows XP. These problems were fixed in
    Service Pack 1. Make sure you apply SP1 if you notice this problem. The
    following may also apply:

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/4a29389c214c78ea88256c75005f451a/713afacbd4135e0a88256c77007e526f?OpenDocument
    Error: "Rule Default Block Netspy Trojan Horse Matched" when you start the
    computer
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/46f26a2d6dafb0a788256bc7005c3fa3/c06387f12de9fa2a88256cf60063c54d?OpenDocument
    Microsoft Fax Monitor does not function properly after installing Norton
    Internet Security

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Bob Day" <BobDay@TouchTalk.net> wrote in message
    > Using XP Pro on Dell computer -
    >
    > I have run into intermittent problems faxing from the computer. The fax
    > works fine for local and manually entered long distance numbers. Here are
    > my questions:
    >
    > 1) Once a fax is in the outbox of the fax console, is there any way to
    > change its fax number? Is there any way to manually trigger it to try
    > again once it failed and is waithing for its retry time to elaspe (I
    realize
    > you can view it, and go through the entire print to fax process again,
    > filling everything out again, to create a new outbox fax, and delete the
    > original one still in the outbox, but that is not particularly quick to
    do)?

    > 2) If I enter a long distance fax receipeint via the address book with
    the
    > "use dialing rules" checked, It seems to dial it without the 1 before
    the
    > area code so it fails. If I manually enter in the AC and 7 digit number
    > (there is no place to manully enter a 1), again with dialing rules
    checked,
    > it does add the 1 in front of the number, and works fine. Changing the
    > dialing rules to add 1 for a long distance call does not change the
    behavior
    > (and is impractical anyway becuase then it screws up your speed dialing
    from
    > Outlook, creating a number like 1 1 800-555-1212 which fails).
    >
    > 3) I have multiple address books, that seem to appear in alphabetical
    > order. Is there a way to designate the default address book so it will be
    > choosen automatically?
    >
    > 4) Is there a way to add a Fax button, menu item or local menu item (when
    > highliting an outlook contact, like the email New Message option) without
    > having to change your printer? Or, after faxing via the printer, to
    > automatically change it back to your default printer?
    >
    > 5) The Fax Monitor used to display while sending a fax, showing me
    exactly
    > what was going on. It does not display, and when I manually display it,
    and
    > a fax is sent, it displays no information. Keep this dialog visible at
    all
    > times is checked.
    >
    > 6) I get the following Norton Antivirus whenever I use the print to fax -
    > click OK and the fax works fine.
    > "High Risk - attempt to connect to local computer using the Netspy Trojan
    > horse detected." I have run Norton Antivirus with the latest definitions,
    > and there are not viruses present. This only seems to happen after I scan
    > something in from the Dell Printer and then fax. I know how to disable
    this
    > error within Norton for this specific instance, but I don't understand why
    > am getting it. I currently have it disabled.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Bob Day

    Thanks, lots of very helpful information.

    2)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318575&Product=winxp
    This seems pretty silly. The Dialing Rules in XP do define where you are
    dialing from (i.e. you enter your local area code). Is there any utility
    that would run through an outlook database and add 1 in from of the area
    code so it would work with Fax? All our numbers are in the format of (317)
    555-1212 and work fine with Outlook speed dial (i.e. it is intellegent
    enough to put the 1 in front of it, which apparently XP fax is not).
    Intuitively, dialing would work the same, using any XP program. I am
    surprised it does not.

    3) Define what you mean by multiple address books. Windows Address Books?
    > Outlook Address Books? How did you configure Fax?
    The address boods are from Outlook 2003 and there are about 4 of them. They
    come up in alphabetical order, and I would like to set a default one (which,
    unfortunately, is not the first one in alphabetical order). I see no option
    in configuring the fax to do this. It may not be possilbe.

    Thanks!
    Bob Day

> [...]
    > > a fax is sent, it displays no information. Keep this dialog visible at
    > all
    > > times is checked.
    > >
    > > 6) I get the following Norton Antivirus whenever I use the print to
    fax -
    > > click OK and the fax works fine.
    > > "High Risk - attempt to connect to local computer using the Netspy
    Trojan
    > > horse detected." I have run Norton Antivirus with the latest
    definitions,
    > > and there are not viruses present. This only seems to happen after I
    scan
    > > something in from the Dell Printer and then fax. I know how to disable
    > this
    > > error within Norton for this specific instance, but I don't understand
    why
    > > am getting it. I currently have it disabled.

    2) It does seem silly. But it has been an age-old tradition that the Fax
    Service remains blind to dialing rules unless international format is used.
    It has been that way so long that we no longer question it. Remember,
    Microsoft's Fax Services have received very little attention since Windows
    95 and many of its functions are woefully quaint and outdated. Fax as a part
    of the OS was even abandoned for a while. Whether it ever makes a comeback
    and gets an overhaul remains to be seen.

    3) If you are using the Outlook Address Book you should be able to set the
    order of folder presentation the same way you do in Outlook: Open the
    Address Book in Outlook > Tools > Options...> Show This address list first

    --
> [...]
    at
    > > all
    > > > times is checked.
    > > >
    > > > 6) I get the following Norton Antivirus whenever I use the print to
    > fax -
    > > > click OK and the fax works fine.
    > > > "High Risk - attempt to connect to local computer using the Netspy
    > Trojan
    > > > horse detected." I have run Norton Antivirus with the latest
    > definitions,
    > > > and there are not viruses present. This only seems to happen after I
    > scan
    > > > something in from the Dell Printer and then fax. I know how to
    disable
    > > this
    > > > error within Norton for this specific instance, but I don't understand
    > why
    > > > am getting it. I currently have it disabled.

Fax Windows XP