retail hsf

Sumadin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2001
If I was to use the hsf that came in my retail cpu box,
will the pink thermal pad on the hs be enough as long as i dont overclock?

Also, forgive my newbieness. But, the heatsink rests on the four rubber pads and the thermal pad covers or contacts only the core(thing in middle with the blue/green stuff on it)? (cpu kernal?)

I wanna take things slow and do it right.
I'll be taking the cpu to work tomorrow and try the pencil trick on the L1 bridges under a microscope. I know my sight is getting worse(old age LOL) but those bridges are freakin small.
I dont plan on overclocking (for now), but I will at least be changing the multiplier so I can run the FSB @ 133 instead of 100.

Anyone have any detailed info on properly applying thermal compound, to remove or not remove the pink thermal pad etc...

<font color=red>Sumadin</font color=red>

<font color=blue>"A mind is a terrible thing"</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Sumadin on 03/14/01 09:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If you're going that route, make sure you don't bend the clip any looser. It takes a lot of pressure to squeeze that pink pad down into contact with the cpu. You can put a little bit of thermal paste from the local electronics shop on the pink pad if you think the clip is too tight. The plastic that the socket is made out of isn't titanium, but it's close.

Sumadin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2001
What is the proper way to do this?
Scrape off the pink pad and apply thermal compound to the entire surface of the bottom of the heatsink?
In Tom's Do it Yourself article it shows him applying compound directly to the kernal.
Can't see if the heatsink he is using has the thermal pad on it or not.

Does the compound have to only contact the core and nothing else?

I feel so stupid
But I'd feel alot stupider if I fried this puppy.

<font color=red>Sumadin</font color=red>

<font color=blue>"A mind is a terrible thing"</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Sumadin on 03/14/01 09:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
The only way you'll fry the cpu is if there's an air-pocket between the core and heatsink. That's where the thermal gel comes in handy.
I'd scrape off the pink pad no matter what else was being used. Arctic Silver or Aluminium Oxide will get better results than silicone paste. If you have any doubts about contact, slap it on and pull the heatsink right back off. If there's an 'indentation' in the thermal gel/pink pad, then you're making contact with the cpu.

I'm not sure about it, but urea just might get better results than silicone paste.....